- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello! My name is Karmyn and I am a professional singer/actress and vocal teacher/technician. In my journey to become a vocal artist, I had to discover the proper techniques to allow me to sing both classical and musical theatre. Being a professional vocalist, I had to find something that worked safely and effectively!
I would love the opportunity to share this powerful technique with you and help you overcome your vocal weaknesses and learn to sing with ease, musicality and strength!
*** My Story ***
When I entered college in the 1993, I had high hopes for my voice. My usable range was quite large for my age: G3 to E6. During my collegiate training I began to notice problems: jaw pain that I had never had before, loss of breath control and forced high notes that used to feel so natural. Unfortunately, because of this training, I left college with a shrunken range: A3 to Ab5, I had lost more than an octave as a result of poor training by a doctorate of music.
In 1995 I won Miss Louisiana (Miss America). I was blessed to received scholarship for the rest of school. One of the colleges that provided money was the University of Louisiana Monroe. I decided to take summer sessions with Dr. Weidman. He realized quite quickly that I had been given the wrong Fach and technique for my voice type and encouraged me to stop with my former teacher and give my voice a break. And I did.
In fact, I decided to focus on acting. The closest acting community was Dallas, Texas. There I was picked up by the Ivett Stone Agency and began booking national commercials, TV spots and films. Along the way I worked with Don Shook of the (then) Actors Company in Dallas, TX. Don listened to my vocal story and told me about his teacher, Bill Bauer.
Bill became my vocal mentor and saving grace. He taught me how to release the tension of poor training and build the technique that lasts a lifetime! I am forever in his debit as my Angel of Voice!
Along with his guidance and genius he helped developed a safe, powerful technique for all vocal genres. I’m so confident that this method will work that I can I guarantee your singing and/or speaking voice will be the best EVER!
In addition to Bill's technique, in 2005, I began incorporating the Gary Catona Method for both my speaking and singing students. It is a powerful Bel Canto vowel method that strengthens and heals all voice types!
Whether you are a beginner and want a solid technique, or you have experienced bad training and need to retrain, I guarantee this method will work for you!
*** How I Can Help You***
I have taught both singing and acting for over 17 years and have the honor of working with some amazing students including, American Idol finalist Rachel Hale, Singer/Song writer Sara Skinner, Bluegrass singer Joseph Hott, Actress Molly Quinn, Actor John R Colley, Ark-La-Tex’s country star, Klancy Johnson, singer/actress Tara Clem and many, many more.
Here are some examples of how I can help: vocal node/polyp elimination therapy, increasing vocal range, eliminating “breaks” in your range, supported sound, natural breathing techniques, body alignment, conquering performance anxiety, stage presence, song interpretation, and positive internal programming.
I began teaching private vocal lessons in 1998. I have taught for two schools of music, First United Methodist Music School in Texarkana, Arkansas and Burbank Music Academy in Burbank, California. In 2007, I began offering vocal lessons online through Skype. My current studio is located in Manhattan.
I've been a member of the National Association of Teacher's of singing for 6 years and am also a member of Actors Equity, SAG-AFTRA, NARAS (the Grammy's) and a lifetime member for the music fraternity Sigma Alpha Iota. I hold 2 Fine Arts degrees in Music and Drama as well as a Bachelor of Applied Arts; Sciences in Administrative Leadership with an emphasis in Psychology.
*** Lesson Details ***
In your lesson, I start where you're at. I identify immediate problems and then put you on a regimen to move you toward your vocal best. I am a stern but encouraging teacher. I expect a vocalist to practice.
Whether a beginner or seasoned performer. My goal is to get your voice to a place of ease in production and to articulate your performance in a way to connect with your audience.
Each lesson is recorded and emailed so you can listen and practice. Practicing is imperative to building your vocal muscles and performance skills.
Here is a list of other benefits that I provide: ear training, finding your true voice - not just an imitation of your favorite vocalist, smart career goal setting, overcoming stage fright, audition/interview techniques, positive self-programming, finding your acting "type"career marketing strategies, how to work "where you're at", scene study, monologue preparation, and a building basic musical theatre audition book.
*** Studio Details**
-an Mp3 of your lesson either on CD (you provide), flash drive (you supply) or a download via website,
-music track editing (includes cutting, tempo changes, key adjustments, etc. (I usually do music editing outside of a lesson for a nominal fee.),
-and studio recording training.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Yeti microphone, H4n Zoom recorder, Audio Technica AT 3035 microphone.
-Music Editing Software: Pro-Tools, Cubase LX, Audacity, Garageband, Sony Sound Forge
-Video Editing Software: Final Cut, Sony Vegas, iMovie
-I also utilize Sing & See in my studio for vocal analysis when needed.
*** Specialties ***
Along with the guidance and genius of Dallas-based vocal teacher and composer, Bill Bauer, I have developed a safe, powerful technique in the art of vocal production for all vocal genres. Some of which include supported belt singing and Bel Canto-style singing.
I am also a trained Opera singer and jazz vocalist and have trained in Vocal Pedagogy both in college as well as with the National Association of Teachers of Singing of which I am a full member.
I am a former Miss Louisiana and talent winner at Miss America. I have judged numerous local, state, and national pageants and talent shows across the country.
-Developed proven vocal techniques in collaboration with Dallas vocal teacher/composer William Bauer
-Special training in child vocal pedagogy with Scott McCoy, DMA (NATS)
-Strong background in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)
-Successfully coordinate and record live streaming vocal lessons
-Lifetime member of Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity at Centenary College
-Member National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
-Member AEA, SAG/AFTRA
Had the most fun experience working at BMA! I worked with some amazing talented (and yes famous) young musicians. Also had a blast working Summer Rock Camp with group voice lessons and mentoring band soloists.
- Vocal Teacher - Beginning to Advanced Contemporary Commercial Music
- Piano Teacher - Level 1 and 2
I have worked on several sitcoms, films, television and live TV sets. Both single and multi-camera productions as both utility stand-in and crew member. I was crew member on both the Desperate Housewives and Private Practice sets.
I had the opportunity to teach Broadcast Journalism and Mass Communications at my alma mater with the CATE (Career & Technology) program.
Being a graduate of the Tigervision Media program, I was able to teach both linear and nonlinear editing, story writing, television producing, on-air presentation, diction, filming techniques for media, photography, as well as the history of mass communication and its current role in society.
-Intro to Media Technology
-Intro to Visual Communications
-Recognized PDAS (Professional Development and Appraisal System) evaluation score.
-Managed 150+ students in 3 classes of Introduction to Media Technology and 3 classes of Introduction to Visual Communications.
-Professional Development training in Teaching to Multiple Intelligences.
-Co-produced student news show Tigervision syndicated through the Ark-La-Tex
-I was locally certified.
My first experience as a paid vocal teacher. I taught men and women of all ages and skill.
I honed my teaching skills and helped many students prepare for solo performance.
Specialized vocal pedagogy studies for young children, teens and adults.
Teaching techniques for all types of students as well as autistic students.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
· Singing · In studio Karmyn is an excellent singing instructor and an excellent educator. She has clearly put a lot of thought into how to convey ideas to students of different ages and skill levels. Karmyn has a warm and engaging manner. We couldn't be happier to work with her.
· Singing · Online Her excercises really work and make sense i am already feeling a difference when i sing. Thank you so much Karmyn you are very supportive. I am excited to be working more with you.
· Singing · Online Had a wonderful first lesson with Karmyn.. I'm so looking forward to the next. Thank you so much!
· Singing · Online thank you! :)
· Speaking Voice · Online My first spoken voice lesson was great! It was like getting a glimpse on a set of new and totally unknown tools that I could eventually find out how to use them for my expression. Though it was only a short lesson, it felt intense and concentrated and after the first excercises we did, I already felt that my throat had opened up a bit and that everything felt more clear and more connected. In a situation where I had to suddenly speak publicly right after the session, I remembered that I could reach a slightly deeper pitch after the excercises. It helped me relax my voice right in the situation. It's really great working with you, Karmyn! I'm looking forward to the next lesson.
· Singing · In studio Karmyn is just incredible. She's personable and works so well with kids. Understanding, patient and encouraging. I found like I found a real gem of an instructor. If I had 5 hands, I'd give her 12 thumbs up. ;)
· Singing · Online Karmyn was very sweet and encouraging to my 12 year old daughter.
· Singing · Online Karmyn is a joy! Her experience and knowledge is incredible, which makes me feel confident in her teaching. I've grown tremendously in a short time, and am excited to continue down this road with her!
· Singing · Online With just only a few lessons I can really tell a big difference, she is teaching me so much more than just singing,how to do great stretches and exercises to get the best sound possible,plus she has a very encouraging and up lifting spirit about her that gives you the confidence you need to do your best with every lesson,I'm truly blessed to have found her and hope that she will be with me on my journey towards a successful career for years to come.karmyn truly wants to help you succeed and that is priceless. Joseph
· Singing · In home I loved how you taught me. I understood what you were teaching me thank you.