Trained from age five to approach the piano with excitement and love, I have studied with piano professors from all over the world at the Chopin Institute in Warsaw, Poland.
I love children and am patient, creative and intuitive. If your child is wiling to put in at least twenty minutes of practicing time, 5 -6 days a week, I will be patient, fun and excited every time they come in for a lesson - always tailoring their musical experience to their individual needs.
I also now have experience teaching several adult students at different beginner and intermediate levels. I'd love for you to come in to my convenient Los Feliz studio after work for a lesson, you can walk to dinner or cafe, or a stroll in Griffith and do some of, what I call 'learning away from the piano.' :)
Hope to see you soon.
*** Lesson Details ***
I will teach you or your child to be comfortable and playful with the instrument, make practicing fun and foster a life long love of music. Using both creative composition approaches to the piano as well as beginning of sight reading, hand position and theory, we will work through songs in Faber's Piano Adventures books for performance, lesson and theory for kids, and the Alfred's Adult Piano Student for adults. I compliment our main workbook by including pieces that we find together, things you love, and for kids I also try to include some Suzuki method to train the young ear.
The student and I will have honest communication about practice and I will do everything I can to make sure practice is approachable, productive, fun, and easy to get done with for the day.
*** Studio Equipment ***
The home studio is in the living room in the front of the house. Includes a coat rack and small space for shoes. Very nice apartment.
*** Specialties ***
Most importantly - make sure a beginner is comfortable with the instrument! The first few lessons I play "improv" games where a student improvises on the keyboard in response to me naming a certain animal or automobile (ie, rocket ship or chipmunk). We then work on exercises to strengthen up, hand position, fingering and reading. And then we're off to the races!
· Piano · In studio My daughter just started lessons with Julie and she is excited to go to each lesson. She is very professional and also has a positive nature.
· Piano · In home Julie was filling in while the primary teacher was on vacation for several weeks. Julie was pleasant and was great with my daughter, Norah, 6 years old. The lessons were where we left off with the primary teacher and Julie did a great job with it.
Thanks again Julie!
· Piano · In studio I've been taking piano lessons with Julie for a year. We play a variety of songs and exercises each week. It's helped me go from not knowing the first thing about piano to being able to read sheet music and play many songs. The lessons are always challenge me and make me want to learn more. Plus Julie's just a really nice person. I would absolutely recommend Julie as a piano teacher - she is the best!
· Piano · Wonderful Teacher
I have been working with Julie for over a year now and I have nothing but great things to say about her. She is a fantastic teacher who has helped me expand my playing beyond what I thought possible. She really understands my playing goals and always gives me pieces of music that I enjoy but that continually push me forward. I feel very lucky to have her as a instructor.
· Piano · Julie is the best!
Julie is an absolutely fantastic teacher! Her advice and technique exercises have helped me immensely, and I'm so grateful for all I have learned from her. She has a wonderful love and knowledge of the piano, plus she's an incredibly sweet person and a joy to study with. I recommend her highly!