Males 8 and up
Thanks for checking out my lessons. My name is Judy aka Groovy Judy. I'm a guitarist, singer, songwriter and performer. I've been playing guitar for 35+ and teaching private and group lessons for 12 years. I also teach ukulele, beginning electric bass and songwriting. ***Please note - I'm located on the Peninsula, so the areas I serve are: Millbrae, Burlingame, Hillsborough, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Atherton & Menlo Park.***
I work with a lot of kids (as well as adults) and beginners. I'm extremely patient, and I enjoy getting brand new students up and running with proper techniques and good habits. My teaching style/philosophy is to get my students playing as soon as possible in an easy and fun way. I focus on basics such as tuning, rhythm, proper pick technique, strumming, reading guitar tab and/or sheet music, and playing songs. I tailor my lessons to the student so it's fun for both of us.
The styles I teach are: rock (classic, indie, punk) folk, pop, reggae/ska funk, blues, r&b, country, some finger-picking, and a bit of classical. I can teach you any song you want to play whether it's rap, rock hip-hop or a piano piece. I will find a way to do it and make it fun. :-)
My style is easy going, but not lackadaisical. I take teaching seriously and do my best to make the student feel comfortable. I give my students weekly assignments that I ask them to complete. However, if a student doesn't work on their assignment, I don't criticize or condemn them. I go over the assignment with them and gently remind them to play and work on the materials I've given.
I love teaching, music, and sharing my gifts with others.
Thanks and I look forward to working with you!
Judy G. aka Groovy Judy
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are once a week. Payment is due at the time of the lesson. Package rates are available upon availability.
*** Studio Equipment ***
2 guitar amps, a guitar stand, a music stand, mp3 player, a lava lamp and some cool rock posters
*** Travel Equipment ***
acoustic and electric guitars, music stand, small amp, mp3 player and lots of cool music ***Please note - I'm located on the Peninsula, so the areas I serve are: Millbrae, Burlingame, Hillsborough, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Atherton & Menlo Park.***
*** Specialties ***
I love rock, pop, folk, funk, fingerpicking and the blues. I teach all of those styles and songs by great artists such as The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Ed Sheeran, Jason Mraz, Taylor Swift, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton and many more.
I've been playing guitar for over 35 years, learning and studying with several different methods and teachers. I've also been performing live for over 25 years. 😄✌🏻️❤️🎸🎶
· Ukulele · In studio She's a good teacher . She also put up with me not knowing anything well.
· Ukulele · In studio Started with some basics and built on that. Was very helpful in showing me tuning, proper hand positioning, and how to improve my fingering (those pesky notes). Got a lot for the first class and enough homework to keep me busy! Will be meeting again next week.
· Ukulele · In studio Lesson was great fun. Judy is very good at making you feel that you're actually making progress and she is very patient with absolute rookies.
· Guitar · In home In the words of my 9 year old - "Best music teacher ever!!" Thank you, Judy, for an awesome first lesson and a great first impression on our boy!
· Ukulele · In studio She's lesson is very efficient and fun! Can't wait next lesson!
· Guitar · In home Groovy Judy is a "great guitar teacher" with "unique" and "very effective" teaching methods.
Thanks to Judy, my son Joseph plays complete songs very well by Pink Floyd, Green Day, Modest Mouse and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers using strumming and picking.
Joseph is extremely happy with the guitar skills that he received from Groovy Judy !
· Guitar · In home My 10 year old son has been taking guitar lessons with Judy for over a year, and he really enjoys them. Judy is patient, flexible and fun. Highly recommended.
· Guitar · In home I was very lucky to find Judy.I am taking guitar lessons from Judy for almost an year.She is an amazing instructor especially for beginners.She is very friendly and encouraging.She helps me work on my weakness to improve.I highly recommend her.
· Ukulele · In studio Judy is a fantastic teacher. She knew exactly how to help me get started at Ukulele and feel like I was making progress quickly! She makes students feel comfortable and successful. Highly recommended kids or adults!
· Guitar · In studio Judy is a great teacher that will work at the student's pace with songs the student likes ! ! !