Hi! I'm Josh, a passionate music educator in Boston, MA. I have taught over 1000 lessons over the past three years to piano, voice, and theory students of all ages. From preparing for rock-vocal style auditions at Berklee College of Music to helping re-discovering the fun of classical piano lessons, there is nothing I enjoy more than working with students on achieving their goals. As a gigging musician and a lifetime student myself, I know what it takes to improve, master, and most importantly ENJOY your time at your instrument. Looking forward to helping you reach all your music goals!
I eat/breathe/sleep music. From writing and conducting my first A Capella piece in high school to playing in bands that have toured around the world, music is my passion and my life! I value nothing more than finding that passion in others and working together to turn musical fantasies into realities.
From grade school to high school I took rigorous classical piano lessons. In 2006-07 I attended two summer programs at Berklee College of Music where I studied jazz/rock performance, and continued to study jazz piano at Washington University.
At Boston University, I studied classical music composition/theory, and was accepted to for a dual degree in Music Composition, Psychology, but decided to pursue music as a minor in order to allow more time for gigging. Since relocating to Boston, I have performed 250+ shows in various ensembles around the greater Boston area.
*** Lesson Details ***
As your private instructor, I am here to give you the most rewarding, interesting, and enjoyable lessons in the UNIVERSE. My lessons are are catered to your specific goals and where you are at, beginner to advance, 5-1000 years old. I am here to get you to where you want to go, whether that's taking up a new hobby or becoming a virtuoso. Together, we will do it!
In our lessons we will work on:
- Your favorite songs, any style
- Writing your own music
- How to learn music by ear
- How to read music notation and chord sheets.
- How to record/produce yourself
- really, seriously, ANYTHING YOU WANT!
I know what it's like to have a teacher that is uninspiring, or to be told that a certain kind of music is the "right kind to learn," when all you want to do is jam out to your favorite songs on the radio. I've been there. That's not what I'm about. I'll teach you how to play whatever it is you want to learn, whether that's the complete works of Bach or the latest One Direction song. Let's do it.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Digital Piano, Synthesizer, Digital Audio Workstation, Recording Equipment.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Piano and voice students must provide piano/keyboard.
*** Specialties ***
My experience is primarily with pop/rock/jazz/classical music, but we can do any genre/style you'd like!
Performing as a professional musician in various bands and ensembles around New England.
Private piano instruction
· Piano · Online I wanted to improve myself on my piano skills and I choose Joshua to teach me online. He is a really great teacher and also very kind. I can write a lot about how great person and a professional he is but I want to make this short; he is the one of the best.
· Singing · In home Josh is a great fit for my daughter, who is interested in singing mainly pop music. She's been really enjoying her lessons.
· Singing · In studio Great experience. Very helpful.
· Piano · In home Great first lesson. Instructor is clearly very experienced and took time to get to know my background, my goals, and test my basic skills to start to outline my curriculum. Studio was well set up, I felt very comfortable and look forward to continuing my lessons.
· Piano · In home Josh is awesome! He is so patient and definitely has a unique way of bonding with my daughter - so she listens! Incredible!
· Singing · In studio I alway look forward to my lessons with Josh. He is very personable and enthusiastic in his teaching methods and very understanding of one's learning level.
· Piano · In studio Josh is a great teacher, a good combination of song learning and technical skill work. In many cases the technical aspects we're working on are being used in the song itself and it brings a nice level of practicality to things.
· Singing · Online Very encouraging, prompt, easy to work with. I'm looking forward to our next session and will likely purchase a block of hour-long sessions next time.
· Singing · In studio Fantastic experience thus far
· Singing · Online I'm 53 and play guitar pretty well but have only focused on singing in the last few months. Things weren't coming together like I wanted and I decided to take lessons. Josh has been fantastic to work with. He brings lots of enthusiasm even when working with a rank novice like me. I also appreciate how he has tailored his approach to focus on my individual goals.