- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Joshua, a flutist, has been praised for his ability to “allow each note to sound with its own expressive qualities” (San Francisco Examiner). Joshua’s playing has been described as “elegantly shaped” (San Francisco Examiner) and possessing “graceful intimacy” (San Francisco Classical Voice). Joshua holds a Master of Music in Flute Performance from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music and a Bachelor of Music in Flute Performance from the University of Texas at Austin, as well as an Artist Diploma in Early Music from the Cornish College of the Arts. Joshua has appeared with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Ukiah Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia Healdsburg, and the St. Claire Shores Symphony. Joshua was a finalist in the National Flute Association's Orchestral Excerpt Competition and a winner of the Ladies Musical Club of Seattle Frances Walton Competition.
In addition to being a finalist in the National Flute Association's Baroque Artist Competition, Joshua has appeared in concert on baroque flute in every major city on the West Coast with the American Bach Soloists, Portland Baroque Orchestra, the Byron Schenkman and Friends concert series, Early Music Underground, Agave Baroque, Queen City Musicians, Live Oak Baroque, the Pacific Bach Project, MUSA, and The Albany Consort. On baroque flute, Joshua has taken lessons with Janet See, Sandra Miller, Wilbert Hazelzet, Stephen Schultz, Philippe Allaine-Dupre, and Greer Ellison.
Joshua is currently on faculty at Music Works Northwest, in Bellevue, WA. Joshua’s primary teachers have been Timothy Day, Marianne Gedigian, Jeffery Zook, and Janet See.
*** Lesson Details ***
Joshua believes in giving students the tools to express and perform at their highest level by instilling a strong sense of core fundamentals and musical awareness. With these tools, students can leave lessons inspired and with a clear idea of how to improve during their private practice.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Three music stands
*** Travel Equipment ***
One to three music stands
*** Specialties ***
Orchestral performance and auditioning
Solo recital preparation and performance
Competition preparation and performance
Concerto preparation and performance
Historical performance practice on baroque flute.
I have devoted myself to the study of historically informed performance practice on the baroque flute. I have appeared with numerous groups on the west coast. I have performed with American Bach Soloists, MUSA, and the Albany Consort in San Francisco, as well as the Pacific Bach Project in San Diego.
Recently I finished an artist diploma program at the Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, Washington on baroque flute.
I am very experienced as an orchestral flute. I have subbed with Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Ukiah Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia Healdsburg, Dearborn Symphony, and the Southern Great Lakes Symphony. I have performed in student orchestras at both UT Austin and SFCM, as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Flute/Piccolo.
I have been teaching private flute lessons to a wide range of students for over 10 years.
I have also coached flute sectionals as well as flute choir.
I tough private flute lessons to students ranging from middle school to highschool. These students would otherwise not be able to afford private lessons had they not been a part of YMP.
The National Flute Association, founded in 1972, is the largest flute organization in the world. Approximately 5,000 members from more than 50 countries join together in person, online, at conventions, informally and in forums, through publications and classrooms, in performance, in friendship and collegiality. Guided by its goals to encourage a higher standard of artistic excellence for the flute, its performers, and its literature, members include leading soloists, orchestral players, jazz and world music performers, teachers, adult amateurs, and students of all ages.
· Flute · In home If you're looking for a wonderful instructor, I strongly recommend Joshua. Through Joshua's broad knowledge, superb musical expertise and skillful communication, you'll love growing in your musical ability, regardless of your level. Enjoy your lessons!
· Flute · In home Joshua is a wonderfully talented and skilled musician AND communicator. His heart is in his work, and his teaching style is encouraging and supportive. I'm an older student (senior actually) revisiting my past love of the flute. My hour lesson flies by and it always ends with me feeling I've learned a lot. Thanks, Joshua, for being the fine teacher you are! My four stars "Great Experience" is a five star.
· Flute · In home Good lesson, will be better if the teacher have more free time to teacher more classes in a week
· Flute · In home Joshua is a wonderful teacher to my daughter. He has helped encourage her in all aspects of her musical abilities. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for flute lessons from beginning to advanced
· Flute · very encouraging
Joshua is a very reliable and punctual teacher. He is encouraging and patient. My daughter really enjoys lesson time with him.