My name is Joseph P. I began playing the piano and writing music at a very young age. I've been teaching for over ten years, and I love sharing music with my students. I specialize in piano, composition, and music theory, and I play many genres ranging from classical to R&B.
I'm currently pursuing a PhD in Music Composition at The Graduate Center, CUNY, and I have taught undergraduate courses at Queens College, CUNY.
I organize five composers concerts at The Graduate Center throughout the academic year. For these concerts, I hire professional ensembles, negotiating contracts and managing the Composers’ Alliance’s budget. I promote all composer events at the GC and maintain social media presence.
At Queens College I teach undergraduate courses in music theory, keyboard skills, and sight-singing to both music and non-music majors. I have developed and implemented interactive course plans to meet the academic, intellectual, and social needs of my students. I am always sure to meet each student at his or her individual skill level, and foster a supportive and fun environment.
For Dixboro United Methodist, I prepared and arranged solo piano music and accompanied the church choir for the weekly service. I also planned and lead rehearsals in the director’s absence.
I taught private lessons in piano, music theory, and composition to children and adults of all ages. I also led group classes in chamber music, basic musicianship, and music theory.
Broadcast Music Inc. was founded in 1939 by forward-thinkers who wanted to represent songwriters in emerging genres, like jazz, blues and country, and protect the public performances of their music. Operating on a non-profit-making basis, BMI is now the largest music rights organization in the U.S. and is still nurturing new talent and new music.
· Piano · In studio Excellent!
· Piano · In studio Great first session .... Thank you for being so patient!
· Accompaniment · In studio Working with Joseph was a delight! He provided his services as an accompanist for a Christmas music video I was recording.
He was always punctual when arriving to rehearsals, scheduling rehearsals was a breeze, even with our packed schedules, and he was always prepared for each rehearsal with copies of the music I'd provided, as well as notes he'd gained by working through the music prior to the rehearsal.
He had a pleasant demeanor, and plenty of creative ideas for any places in the song that allowed for improvisation or personalization of the chords or phrasing. His accompaniment was the perfect companion to my singing, and could range many genres of music.
I also worked with him as the pianist in larger bands performing in the NYC area, and there as well, he was great to work with. Highly recommended! :)
· Classical Piano · In studio I took lessons with Joseph for two years at the end of high school and credit him with my decision to pursue a career in Music Education. He is an extraordinary teacher who transformed my playing. I was pushed to work harder, inspired by his playing, and taught new skills in our lessons. Joseph also impressed me with his willingness to go above and beyond in his efforts to find me pieces of music that I would enjoy and which suited my style of playing. I am now a piano teacher myself and try to exemplify some of the same qualities in my teaching that I saw in his. I highly recommend him to the pianist of any age and level of experience!
· Piano · In studio I had the opportunity to take piano lessons with Joseph in 2014, and could not have asked for a more competent or accommodating instructor. Joseph is an accomplished teacher, composer, arranger, and accompanist across a variety of styles and genres, and was able to craft lessons that met my diverse personal goals (which for me was a combination of learning classical piano technique, R&B/pop arrangements and basic music theory). He made my goals feel attainable and gave me practical tools to work towards them. Joseph was INCREDIBLY patient and lessons felt efficient and FUN! I would HIGHLY recommend Joseph to musicians of an level looking to broaden their theory knowledge, polish original compositions, or sharpen their piano skills in any style. Joseph is amazing!