I am a college graduate and lifetime learner of musical artistry having 4 years practical piano teaching experience after 25 years of employment at a local higher education institution. I can engage the beginner in such a way that they will be motivated to continue into advanced and a professional level. I started my own music education at the age of 5 and have loved music ever since. My music career began in 3rd grade when I performed in a musical play and participated in vocal choral groups. I continued to improve in piano and vocal skill and traveled extensively with a national organization and a college representative team. My travels took me to Europe where I had the privilege to perform in places such as Notre Dam, palace of Versailles, the Basilica in Rome and other places. I teach any style of music from classical to gospel. I have a strong classical background so I enjoy teaching all my students, even as young as 4 to learn about and play classical pieces (e.g. Beethoven, Bach, Mozart). Since my vocal involvement has allowed me to participate in school, church and community music groups and singing solo, I have a strong background in pianist accompaniment which is a unique skill that every piano musician should master. This creates a well rounded approach so that the pianist can participate and showcase their talent in various ways. I like to teach students to play beyond what is in the written page, and to develop a musical ear through improvisation and memorization. My students have the opportunity to play in optional recitals with other students and for family.
I am the lead alto in a worship band; and sing regularly for weekly and special services. Additionally, I sing in a small ensemble group for services as well as Christmas and Easter events.
I taught 3-12 year olds piano in a class setting year around for nearly 3 years. Each 10 week session, I typically taught 40-70 students each week. I have developed an intuitive understanding of various skill levels, learning styles, and early childhood behaviors so that I can bring out the best talent in each student.
While in college, I sang in a select ensemble, and held the position of music choreographer as well as lead soloist and backup.
I am a certified K-12 teacher in the State of Washington.
· Piano · In studio My 4 yr. old has started with teacher Joni and she LOVES her classes! Teacher Joni is very sweet and gentle and even though the classes seem short, it's perfect for a 4 yr. old and she actually learns a ton!
My daughter looks forward to her weekly lessons with Joni!
· Piano · In studio Joni is very friendly and gentle. She is a perfect teacher for my 4 yr. old. My child learn a ton just in her first lesson.
We can't wait for more lessons.
· Piano · In home Ms. Joni started teaching my son piano lessons in Sep 2015. My son was 5 when he started attending her classes. It is amazing how much he has progressed in 9 months. He is able to read notes and can play with both hands. The one thing I have noticed about her way of teaching is that, she does not give up. She always tries to find a new ways to help kids learn when they are struggling. She adapts to kids ways of learning and doing things, and makes changes to help learn easily. That, I believe, is one of the reasons her classes are so effective and kids do not feel intimidated. I would highly recommend her.
· Piano · In home Joni cares deeply about her students and her love of music and the piano is contagious.
· Piano · In studio Joni is an amazing teacher, both my girls just love her. She makes taking lessons fun, interactive and works with their individual abilities. She's the BEST!
· Piano · In studio My son LOVES piano lessons with Ms. Joni; he is delighted to practice, loves going to lessons, and is very proud of himself. This is not our first music teacher, and this certainly hasn't always been the case. I'm sure we will hit a normal bump or two down the road, but we are thrilled to have found an excellent teacher (it really does make all the difference). I highly recommend her.
· Piano · In studio She's very good in handling beginners, let alone a 7-year old boy that has no experience. She explains it very well with my son!
· Piano · In studio My son is learning from last few months and we are so happy with her.
· · Very patient! Presents the information easily! Good material. I progressed really well. Absolutely recommend!
· Piano · In studio Joni was fantastic with my 2 year! Very patient and offered age appropriate lesson material.