With a pedigree going back to Beethoven, a bachelor's in music and a certificate in theory, harmony, and ear training from Berklee College of Music online, I have a broad and versatile musical background. My training began when I was in 6th grade and started taking piano lessons. By 9th grade I began competing in national private school fine arts competitions, and aside from my solo performance background I have had extensive experience accompanying, writing, and arranging music.
I also come from a family of school teachers (both my parents, two aunts, and one uncle), and have extensive experience dealing with and teaching children (like tutoring, substitute teaching, coaching, and teaching in a church setting).
Because of all this background, I feel well-prepared to not only bring a strong knowledge-base and skill-set to the lessons I provide, but also to helpfully convey that knowledge-base and skill-set to my students.
My lessons are catered to the student and aim to develop the whole musician, technically and artistically, incorporating a broad musical understanding with the goals of the parent and/or student in mind. Let's make some true musicians!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I do not provide any travel equipment. The student should provide a piano/keyboard for lessons.
*** Specialties ***
Along with teaching traditional piano technique, I specialize in improvisation, arranging, songwriting, and composition.
Providing piano lessons for students of varying ages and abilities.
Transcribing children's music from home-made recordings.
· Piano · In home Very good
· Piano · In home John has been really patient with my daughter. Thanks to John she is now really interested in playing and goes to practice the piano on her own with out any prompting from me, which is wonderful!
· Piano · In home John is really patient with my daughters. They have only had a few lessons, but they really look forward to them.
· Piano · In home My daughter really liked John. She is very excited about lessons to come.
· Piano · In home great teacher. explains very clearly and move from one topic to another smoothly
· Piano · In home My daughter really likes him. He is great. She is doing great with him. Recommend!
· Piano · In home John is very patient with my son and knows what he is doing. My child is an 11 year old, intermediate player who was able to learn new skills with John. I highly recommend him for all levels of Piano players.
· Piano · In home John was absolutely the best. Very patient my 9 year old. We steadily saw a progression in our son's piano skills and we are sad that we are going to miss John as we relocate to a new state. I would definitely recommend John as an instructor for any young child looking to learn the piano.
· Piano · In home John is always on time and willing to make adjustments ahead of time when life happens. He is kind, friendly, and patient...helping our daughter become a better piano player.
· Piano · In home John is a very knowledgeable, patient and professional teacher for my 7 year old beginner who is taking piano lessons with him. When my child has difficulty with a particular technique or lesson, John always tries to come up with different ways to explain it until she has a better handle in the area of difficulty. My daughter says, "Mr. John is very nice and plays the piano really good." Most private teachers watch the clock, but there have been numerous times John has stayed beyond his time to finish explaining something and making sure my daughter understands. I would definitely recommend John as a teacher for anyone considering lessons for any level student.