Joel J. took his first guitar lesson in September 1980. A lifelong student and teacher of guitar and improvisation, Joel began playing in bands at age 14. Seeking a higher awareness of guitar, he left school at U-Michigan to study at Musician's Institute in Hollywood, CA. While there, he received a scholarship to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston. In 1997 he received his B.M.S. in Professional Music with a concentration in Private Instruction and Studio Arranging from Berklee. No stranger to the industry, Joel has recorded 3 CD's with rock bands Michigan and Color Phobos as primary composer and lead guitarist. Joel is former owner of The Great Hall Restaurant and Music Room where raw live performances occurred every night. He currently plays with Portland area blues-rock band The Fabulous Badcats, and co-hosts an open jam every week in SE Portland. Embark upon a discovery of music born in the fires of your own passion as Joel will lead you through a course of study based entirely upon your goals and desires for your relationship with the guitar. with a vivid memory of studying guitar as an eight year old, Joel teaches all ages with patience and understanding.
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons with Joel are like Choose Your Own Adventure stories. The curriculum is based on the Performance programs of Berklee College and Musician's Institute, with supplements by Mel Bay, Hal Leonard, and including the music of YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST. We will navigate through a rigorous study of the instrument, including metronome study, sight-reading and notation, ear training and everything else. But once we cover the basics, the course will take the direction of your interests and what is fueling your fire. Keeping true to what motivates you will keep the lessons interesting even when the commitment becomes difficult..and it will..but as you may already know, nothing worth having is easily achieved. Come take a deep look at the most popular and versatile instrument of the modern age, and master your own style of guitar playing with a teacher whose own commitment to music education is absolute.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Studio room in private home- with piano, electric and acoustic guitars and equipment, on-screen learning; chairs, piano bench, room for parents to observe lesson.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide music stand and curriculum. I expect the student to provide pencil, notebook with lined paper, music paper, metronome and instrument. I do have instruments available for rental
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in rock and blues improvisation, and beginning to advanced music theory.
· Guitar · In home My son just had his first lesson but he is already excited about what he is learning. Joel is very patient and connects well with his student. Looking forward to the next one!
· Guitar · In studio Joel knows his stuff and teaches well
· Guitar · In home Joel is a really good instructor! Easy to understand and he is patient with a student.
I recommend this instructor.
· Guitar · In home My first lesson with Joel went great!
Joel is easy to understand and I am looking forward to my next lesson!
· Guitar · In home Really liked Joel, I think his experience will help me.
· Guitar · In studio We are very impressed that Joel is such a great teacher!
· Guitar · In home We are very much enjoying the guitar learning experience with Joel. I applaud the fact that he is not only teaching the mechanics of playing the guitar, but some theory to back up the practices being taught. Learning to read music is a nice benefit also. Joel is very patient with my 10-year old Allison and she is enjoying his teaching style. He's a very easy person to talk with and ask questions to.
· Guitar · Knowledgeable and patient
Joel was great. He gave me tons of exercises to practice so I never ran out of stuff to do. He is very knowledgeable about music and really understands the theory and incorporates it into his lessons. Overall great experience.
· Guitar · Recommending Joel Jackson
Every time I leave my lesson with Joel I feel inspired and more confident than the week before. ~ He understands my goals and helps me develop a plan to attain them. He's very patient and helfpul. ~ All around an excellent teacher!
· · Joel is great and makes it very easy to understand what to do. He gives me encouragement which i like and motivates me to keep going. I am definitely going to take more lessons with Joel (-: