I've been in and around music all my life. I started violin at age 5, part of the first generation of Suzuki violinists in the United States. I've loved being a professional violinist and violin teacher for over 30 years! And I've also founded and directed three community music schools in Newburyport, Boston, and Manhattan.
I hold Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Violin Performance, and I'm lucky to have had wonderful experiences during my formal training! In my undergraduate years, I was awarded a full 4-year scholarship for string quartet and chamber music playing, which was invaluable as a real-world training. In graduate school, I was fortunate to learn so much as a Teaching Assistant for undergraduate violin students.
I have also been an innovator in musical education, and I've felt honored to coach numerous already gifted violin teachers who have sought me out to improve their techniques for best teaching practices. From my 30+ years of private violin teaching and observing how children learn, I developed a super fun groundbreaking class in New York City for 2.5 to 5 year old beginners called Crackerjack Kidz! And a few years ago, I wrote a text to accompany young students and their families.
I continuously work to be a master teacher dedicated to the very best methods, using a variety and combination of techniques and strategies tailored to the student's musical success and enjoyment.
My specialties include music-based early childhood development, adult beginners and continuing learners, intermediate and advanced players, and chamber music coaching.
I welcome you to start your family's musical journey with me!
*** Lesson Details ***
While each lesson is different, we always try to spend a little time warming up, making sure we're comfortable and free of tension, reviewing what we've worked on, and layering in new concepts each time. We also learn age appropriate music theory (the "why's" of how music works), we exercise our imaginations, and we learn how to effectively practice.
We learn to think, solve problems, hear the music in our minds, and coordinate our bodies to play beautifully! Along the way we learn skills for life, the joy of accomplishment, and love of ourselves and others!
Whether you're a toddler or a senior, violin can always teach new things and help students appreciate more about themselves and the world!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Music room with keyboard and computer. Parents can sit it on lessons, and are enouraged to do so with young students.
*** Specialties ***
I'm a classically trained violinist and a master teacher with over 30 years of experience. I've been teaching Suzuki violin to children ages 3 and up for my whole career, and I'm also extremely comfortable with traditional methods for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students of any age.
My specialties include:
music-based early childhood development
adult beginners and continuing learners
intermediate and advanced players
chamber music coaching.
I teach violin and viola to students of all ages, from beginners through advanced players. I've taught private lessons, music appreciation, music theory, and coached chamber music for over 30 years. And I absolutely love what I do!
I taught violin and viola to students of all ages, from beginners through advanced players. I've taught private lessons, music appreciation, music theory, and coached chamber music for over 30 years. And I absolutely love what I do!
The AFM represents working professional musicians both here and abroad
The Suzuki Association of the Americas (SAA) is a coalition of teachers, parents, educators, and others who are interested in making music education available to all children. The SAA provides programs and services to members throughout North and South America.
A labor union representing professional musicians in the United States and Canada. Founding in 1896 as the successor to the "National League of Musicians," the AFM is the largest organization in the world representing the interests of professional musicians.
· Viola · Online Jill is an excellent instructor. She is patient and funny. Kind and informative. She is highly knowledgeable and one of the first Suzuki kids.
· Violin · Online Jill is hands down the best music teacher I have ever had. I have taken music lessons in the past and have never enjoyed them this much before. I have a really hard time with getting held up on every little mistake and she was very good about working with me through that. If you are thinking about choosing between Jill and another teacher, pick Jill, you won't regret it.
· Violin · Online Fantastic first teacher! I don't have anything to compare her to in terms of violin instruction, but she obviously knows the instrument well and was very helpful!
· Violin · Online Jill is personble yet professional. She certainly has the expertise to assess quickly where I am and probably more importantly what I need to do to be better.
· Violin · Online I immediately felt comfortable with Jill. She is so patient, kind, and supportive. As a first-time student of the violin, I feel incredibly lucky to have found such an invaluable resource as her. I will most definitely be signing on for future lessons with her.
· Violin · Online I look forward to my violin lessons with Jill. She is a great instructor and I have learned a lot. She personalizes each lesson and I come away with tools to help me in the future. I know that she is going to make me a much better player.
· Violin · Online My first lesson in many many years! You may as well say I was a beginner. As an adult learner, I need a type of instruction that will leave me motivated to continue and Jill was just PERFECT. Knowledgeable, patient, she uses tricks and techniques to facilitate learning. I learned so much in just the first lesson. I am very motivated to continue and to get to a point where I can actually play!
· Viola · Online Just had my first lesson with Jill.. wow, she's incredible! I feel really comfortable with her, and I think this is going to be a wonderful journey with her!
· Music Performance · I had the pleasure of working with Jill Good while I was responsible for planning and conducting numerous worship services for occasions which required special music. She is a consummate musician; not only does she play superbly, she has extensive knowledge of music theory, as well as possessing a repertoire of works which are appropriate in multiple settings. She is a delight to work with - bringing not only her expertise, but her bright spirit to every endeavor. I commend her without reservation.
· · In home Writing from a different perspective: I was (30 years) an instrumental, both band and orchestra, music teacher in the York Suburban School District, York, PA. Jill is my daughter whom I started on violin at an early age espousing the Suzuki method. I studied with Dr. Suzuki in Baltimore, MD.
Jill's early exposure to the violin blossomed into what she is now, an experienced violinist and teacher able to relate to students of all ages, finding the fitting relationship between student and teacher. I would recommend her and her teaching stance to any and all students