- Levels Taught:
- Intermediate, Advanced
*I teach with a heavy emphasis on vocal health. I encourage and teach complete body and mind awareness. I provide a "lifestyle" approach to singing and performing.
*My specialties include: helping students find a unique voice in their original music, prepping for auditions (most genres besides traditional broadway and opera), studio recording and ear training.
*Original Music: I have a piano, ukulele and guitar available for student use at my in-home studio. We can also work on editing your originals.
*Audition Prep: Especially for the working performer, we work on both voice and full body exercises to relieve anxiety and allow you to be in the moment on your big day. We aim to prevent any unnatural tension that may obstruct vocal production, flexibility and freedom.
*Studio Recording: Singing in a studio is certainly different than singing on stage and depending upon genre, it may seem like a whole other art form. Depending on the project, we prep you for your in-studio day using different exercises and equipment so that your paid studio time is well spent and effective. I also make recording studio session visits.
- Teaches students:
- Females 15+ and males 18+
- Teaching since:
- July 2006
Hi! My name is Jessica and I can't wait to help you find YOUR voice because YOUR voice is unlike anyone else's . No two people sound exactly the same; isn't that a beautiful thing? I truly believe it is, so much so that I've dedicated over two decades of my life to it. After double majoring at the University of Delaware (music, communication) I continued my private voice study with coaches based in LA and NYC and soon began sharing my knowledge of the voice with my own students, all the while landing my own gigs on-stage and on-screen.
Watching my students exceed their own expectations has been just as much, if not even more rewarding than performing for myself.
I am fortunate enough to say that teaching, performing, recording, writing, producing and arranging music has taken me all over the world. Through staying true to my voice, I continue to create a life I love and my students are an incredibly important piece of that life!
Some things you should know about me:
- From 2003-Present Day I've trained with several classical and broadway style voice coaches as well as NYC's most in-demand pop-style vocal coach. I've spent many years performing in choirs and professional a cappella groups.
- In 2007 I began teaching private lessons in my hometown and continued to do so sporadically throughout college and afterwards in NYC
- I recorded with a major record label (now Capitol Records) and performed with a classical crossover group on PBS Television
- I performed on NBC's The Sing-Off with my group The Deltones for which I was once a director, arranger and vocal coach.
- I sang with Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Nicks and Carrie Underwood, filling in for Emmylou Harris
- I've shared a stage and gone on tour with GUSTER, The Band Perry, Marc Broussard, LAUV, Shoffy, Pentatonix and more.
- My work as a songwriter, recording artist, vocalist and vocal recording engineer & producer has garnered roughly 15+ Million Streams over the past few years.
- My original music and cover songs have been heard on CBS, NBC, PBS and Disney's Freeform Television.
Question: Cool, so what does this mean about your style of teaching?
Answer: Glad you asked.
1. I am most interested in your personal, authentic style and making sure you are accessing YOUR voice in the most healthy way possible. Singing is a full body and mind activity and I like to take a comprehensive approach, teaching concepts that you can take with you into other areas of life. Many students want to "have better intonation", "sing more on key" or "sing more freely" and YES YES YES LET's definitely do that! Just not solely with ear training tricks and repetitive scales.
2. I'm best suited for students who prefer to sing modern and contemporary music or craft their own songs. I am also a great resource for recording studio-prep work.
3. As a working recording artist, I bring real-life experience into my coaching with a strong understanding of the modern music world.
While I've performed musical theater and classical music, there are more specialized coaches better equipped for those genres.
In 2014, I co-founded a band with a fellow songwriter. All songs are written, performed, produced and vocally arranged by us. Since our first release in early 2016, we've garnered over 11 million cumulative streams and toured the country with major US acts.Show More
Over the past 10+ years, I've worked with students from all walks of life and in most genres: traditional broadway, contemporary broadway, pop, R&B, folk, country, hymnals, jazz etc.
I've prepared actors for their singing auditions and I've prepared singers for their song-acting auditions. I've helped students work through stage fright. I've helped guitarists become better harmony and back up singers and I've helped recording artists prepare for the recording of their next album.
As of 2019, I am not taking students who wish to focus solely on classical music or traditional musical theater. I absolutely love these genres but I believe there are more specialized coaches to be seen!
I performed and recorded vocals for the 2018 Holiday film "No Sleep Til Christmas"
A song I wrote and recorded was featured on "Good Trouble" in March of 2019.
I recorded and performed the vocals for the 2017 NCAA Championship Game Trailer, featuring actor Mahershala Ali.
I performed with The University of Delaware Deltones on NBC's "The Sing-Off". In prior years I've acted as director, vocal coach and arranger for the group.
My goal in taking lessons was to get back to singing after a long hiatus of lessons and performing... to reclaim my love of singing and break through my insecurity. Jessica's warmth, humor and expertise helped me do just that. I learned new techniques and had a full on very emotional breath through right in her living room!
She made me feel safe, confident, and helped me learn about my unique voice as well as shared her expertise in proper breathing and gaining vocal control and increasing range.
In sum, Jessica is an incredible vocal coach and I'd definitely recommend her.
Jessica is an amazing teacher! She not only understands all the technicalities behind singing but she works to your strengths and helps you cultivate both your inner and outer voice! I felt very comfortable with her and even got emotional a few times as it was such a powerful experience to be able to be vulnerable and engage in something I love so much. Jessica is the perfect mix between professional and experiential where you'll learn skills but you will also have fun doing it. I highly recommend Jessica for your musical needs. I look forward to my future sessions!! It also helps she is incredibly talented! An all around win and positive experience :)!Show More
Jessica is an amazing teacher. I felt amazing after our lesson. Looking forward to future lessons.
Jess is an amazing teacher. Professional and easy to work with, would highly recommend!