Hi, my name is Jenny, and I am a Chicago-based flutist and teacher. It's nice to "meet" you! :)
I love teaching, and I'd be happy to help you reach your goals with flute! Flute can be so much fun. I am LOVE working towards inspiring a passion for music in any student, with every lesson!
In lessons, my students play duets, work on having great flute technique, and learn to express themselves through music.
I have been teaching flute and recorder since 2008. I also hold a bachelor's degree in flute from Northwestern University's Bienen School of Music.
Additionally, I play flute and piccolo in Chicago City-Wide Orchestra.
Many of my students in the past have won local festival competitions, have been featured in solo performances, and have continued to play flute for years.
Every year my studio has a recital, so parents, family, and friends can enjoy celebrating the achievements of the students.
I also make sure that each student has an incredible experience with their lessons - each lesson is tailored to the individual. I enjoy helping my students have fun and feel confident when learning flute. I also help each student and family select the best instrument for their needs, which includes level, age, and price.
Come grow and learn, love music, and flute on!
My studio also has a variety of fun and useful perks. My aim with the studio is to build community and grow opportunities for my students. Check it out:
- Free First lesson
- Lesson books included
- Personal support and guidance when selecting new instruments, equipment, and sheet music
- A knowledgeable, patient, and caring teacher who is committed to helping you reach your goals, experienced in teaching all levels, ages, and backgrounds
- Audition, competition, and festival preparation for pre-professional high school students
- Yamaha recorder provided for recorder students (7 and under)
- Option to rent Guo Shining Piper Fife for FREE (great for students transitioning from recorder to flute!)
- 10% off at Andy's Music in Chicago
- 20% off lessons for one month - for every student you refer, and 30% off for the new student
- Annual recital (optional for students) at a beautiful concert venue in the city, with video and audio recording provided for families. 2017 Location - Experimental Sound Studio
- Info and access to masterclasses and workshops in Chicago with internationally renowned flutists
Why do I love teaching?
Teaching is very rewarding for me. I love helping people reach their goals. I enjoy supporting local music businesses and education programs, and I'm happy to lend a hand to anyone who needs assistance. Each time I give to the music community, I feel supported in turn. For me, teaching is all about building relationships, friendships, and a community around music lovers in Chicago.
Thanks so much for visiting my profile. I'd love to share what I know with you! Flute on!
The Monarch school is school for homeless children in downtown San Diego. I was an outsourced music teacher for the third grade class. I taught recorder and music literacy.
• Design curriculum incorporating music literacy, history, recorder, rhythm, and learning of folk songs
• Manage classes with 20 students, lasting 30 to 40 minutes
• Collaborate with school's External Programs Coordinator, funding donor, and classroom teacher to arrange lesson times and communicate progress of students
After I finished my Bachelor's degree, I opened a studio in Lakeview, Chicago. I prepared young flute students for band, and also worked with a few adult students returning to the flute. In my studio, all students learned folk music, improvisation, music theory, jazz, and classical music. We always had so much fun :)
Instructed students between the ages of 9-35 with a broad range of abilities. Prepared reports and invoices for parents. Updated content for website. Promoted studio and built relationships with other music educators in Chicago.
After School Learning Tree is a tutoring center in San Diego, California. I Instruct flute and recorder students at varying skill levels, ages five to eighteen. The School begins students on recorder at a very young age. The students are gradually phased into flute playing, and play in school band and youth symphonies in San Diego.
• Design and implement recorder lesson plans for class with 40 kindergarten students. Prepare students to perform memorized songs with accompaniment for performance showcase.
• Organize and distribute materials for lessons.
• Prepare students to take part in local festivals and performances, including California Certificate of Merit, SD Flute Guild Festival, and The Mozart Festival.
Golden Dragon is a Chinese after school program in San Diego. I lead a group recorder classes to 3rd graders, and some small semi-private lessons to 2nd graders in the afternoons.
Won by qualifying out of 1000's of competitors in California-wide competition
The Chicago Flute Club's mission is to foster the highest artistic potential of all its members through teaching, listening and performing. We provide a forum for activities of interest to flutists of all ages and abilities. Our activities are designed to promote, encourage, and nurture appreciation of flute music and technique, as well as provide an opportunity for social interaction among flutists.
MTAC aspires to be the recognized leader in (1) Student Programs, which make a positive impact in the quality of music education and in the lives of music students; (2) Member Programs, which inspire quality teaching, the pursuit of ongoing teacher education and member involvement with community outreach; (3) a thriving Foundation, which funds Student Programs and member needs through its investments, donations, and grants.