I have been working as a freelance musician and private instructor in Chicago for fifteen years. During this time I have been hired to perform Jazz, Rock, R/B, and world music. As an instructor I have maintained a studio of five to twenty students on a weekly basis. I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Northern Colorado in Percussion Performance, and a Master of Music degree from De Paul University in Jazz Studies.
*** Lesson Details ***
With committed weekly practice there are no limits to a student's potential. I like to use the term guide to describe my teaching style. In a relaxed atmosphere, the student and I are working together to advance their musical goals. Sometimes goals are reached quickly, more often we need more time and repetition to advance. The mind learns quicker than the body, so focused practice will help train the body and bring it to the mind's level.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Finished Basement studio: drum set, snare drum, small mallet, xylophone and electric piano, room for parents to sit in on lesson
*** Travel Equipment ***
Student should provide sticks and mallets and purchase a book that we will work out of weekly.
*** Specialties ***
I feel comfortable teaching all levels of percussion. I have experience teaching a variety of styles Jazz, rock, classical, and world.
Since 2004 I have been teaching general music to children ages 6-12. We work on learning American folk songs and standards, body percussion and transferring to drums and drum circle. The use of xylophones is a large part of the curriculum.
Attended four weeks in 2004 and 2005 to obtain Orff certification for teaching children the Orff Method.
· Drum · In studio Jeff has been great with my 7 year old son learning Djembe and Bongos. Jeff gives clear concise instructions and practices the skills with him to work on during the week. My son is easily distracted and Jeff is very flexible and listens to what he has to say, using is as a way to teach and redirects. My son can't wait to go to class every week!
· Drum · In studio I'm an experienced drummer and I was able to get started right away into exercises that fit my my level of skill. Very helpful.
· Drum · In home Jeff has been working with my 16 year old son, who started drum lessons to prepare for jazz band, for about 4 months now. Jeff is a a very skilled teacher and has been a joy to work with in terms of coordinating schedules and other logistics. My son has learned a great deal from Jeff in a very short time and very much enjoys working with him!
· Drum · In studio Jeff is an outstanding teacher. Passionate, and effectively tailors the lessons to your experience level.
· Drum · In home Terrific! We are very happy with the lesson, our young son is learning. Teacher Jeff is great with him - very methodical, consistent and has a lot of patience and understanding with our little guy. Our son looks forward to lessons and enjoys practicing the work he's given to work on during the week. He's great about explaining what we should work on with our son and how to do it, what to watch for and why we are working on what is being assigned. We have had a great first experience!
· Drum · Always has something to challenge you
Lessons have always been fun, exciting, and challenging.
· Drum · **Excellent** drum instructor, highly recommended
Jeff is everything you'd want in a drum instructor: he is highly skilled, has thorough knowledge of drumming styles and technique, and he is an excellent communicator. On top of that he is thoughtful, polite and listens carefully. This is all a very, very rare combination.
I had to play a couple of slow gospel tunes for a church service this summer; Jeff very quickly found suitable and tasteful grooves for me that were within my capability to play. He also worked with me on some rudiments and provided invaluable feedback. I can't recommend him highly enough.
· · Carmen B
Jeff is a very good teacher, he's very kind and takes everything step by step. I love the way he works with me and im doing great progress because of him.