- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
My musical journey began the with piano at the age of seven. I took regular lesson all the way through high school, eventually performing works such as Gershwin Etudes, Chopin Waltzes, Debussy Arabesques, and Beethoven Piano Sonatas. My trumpet performing started in 1993 and continues, having earned two degrees in trumpet performance, and performed with groups such as the Las Colinas Symphony Orchestra and Lone Star Wind Orchestra.
I have been teaching privately for 14 years. For eight years, I had a studio of around 50 students in the Dallas area where my students have performed at events such as the state solo and ensemble contest in Austin, and in groups such as the Texas All State Band, and Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra to name a few. I relocated to Indianapolis in 2015, and have enjoyed teaching lessons through Fall Creek Vally Middle School and Paige's Music. Through the years I have learned to adjust my teaching technique to match each individual, whether it be the music difficulty, learning pace, or musical genre preference. I have taught trumpet students of all ages and abilities, as well as beginning and intermediate piano and french horn. I look forward to helping you make beautiful music on your instrument!
My teaching philosophy
Private lessons are a one on one experience that give students guidance on their specific musical needs. Rather than only working on pieces for un upcoming audition or competition, I emphasize working on a variety of repertoire that will improve all aspects of one’s musicianship. Lessons are not a weekly practice or coaching session, but rather a time for me to help students with what they have already been practicing. More specifically, I help with embouchure formation, tone production, note reading, practice technique, musical phrasing, breathing, performance anxiety, rhythm, music theory, bad habits, or anything that will help the student make better music in the long term. I also frequently provide musical examples and inspiration by playing for my students.
Students are required to practice a minimum of fifteen to forty-five minutes per day (depending on the student’s age), six days per week.
Students are responsible for purchasing their own lesson materials, such as books, valve oil, metronome, etc. Piano students must also have a well maintained piano to practice on. High quality electric keyboards with 88 keys, weighted and touch sensitive, are acceptable.
I have a 24-hour lesson rescheduling policy. If a student fails to provide notice via phone, text or email at least 24 hours prior to the starting time of the lesson, or misses a lesson unannounced, they will be charged for the full lesson cost. If adequate notification is given, the lesson will be made up at a later date. Lessons MAY NOT BE MISSED WITHOUT MAKEUP. I do, however, allow students to miss lessons without makeup during the months of November (up to one lesson), December and August (up to two lessons each month) and July (no limit), and one lesson for spring break.
With rare exception, all of my students take weekly lessons. Students who keep a regular, weekly schedule improve at a far better pace than those who miss frequently.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Baldwin upright piano
Clavinova keyboard with weighted keys
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide no equipment
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in classical, jazz, and commercial, having experience in all three areas. I teach a lot of ear training and music theory regardless of the instrument.
Teaching weekly trumpet sectionals and private lessons.
Teaching trumpet lessons during band classes.
Taught roughly 50 students a week for 7 years.
· Piano · In studio Very patient and encouraging to my son.
· Piano · In home Jay did a very good job of comminicating with my twelve-year-old daughter on her level. He kept her first lesson simple, yet did not talk down to her.
· Trumpet · In home Thanks Jay! All is going well and the lessons are certainly improving his skills!
· Piano · In home Listened to my comments of my progress on my own and then advised ways to improve. Not over selling and understood what my goals were in playing.
· Piano · In home My 4 year old is very happy with Mr. Jay. She looks forward to her piano lessons and lights up when it is time to start :)
He is very patient with her and that encourages her to practice and get better.
· Trumpet · In home My daughter is actually excited about practicing!
· Piano · In home I have three children taking piano lessons with Mr. Jay. We have been with him for almost two years now. He is wonderful with the kids, amazingly patient with my seven year old daughter, and very flexible with his schedule. I would definitely recommend him. He is fantastic.
· Trumpet · In home Jay has been very helpful in getting me started on the trumpet again. He is great at teaching techniques and is very knowledgeable about music.