I am overjoyed and grateful to say I have been playing music for more than half of my life. It has never stopped being the light in my day and now it is my hope to shed some of that light onto you or your child. I am a very friendly and fun teacher with a great deal of professionalism and patience, even more importantly I love teaching and music with a passion.
I have been playing an instrument since the 4th grade (cello) and, as I learned more about how music works, was slowly able to pick-up a greater variety instruments with an increasing degree of ease. In high school, I decided to pick-up the guitar just to "have fun and rock out". I joined a band, played in the high school orchestra, joined the high school jazz band and began to practice songwriting and cover songs. Still, it was not until after I took my first class on music theory that I knew how much I not only loved the thrill of playing music but the discovery of how it worked. With this experience I can show you or your child why learning an instrument can be not only an exciting experience but an interesting and enthralling one as well.
I have been teaching music for over 7 years and have had the privilege of teaching children as young as 4 to adults in their late 80's. I am a very attentive teacher who can not only help get you moving in the right direction but keep you on that path until your are a self-sufficient musician. A level of musicianship that simply means you can learn whatever you want on your instrument on your own, whether it be for business, pleasure or for mere self-improvement.
Through my own student career in private lessons I had the chance to study with graduates of the Musician's Institute (MI), the California Institute of the Arts (CAL Arts) and Berklee College of Music. This has provided me with an inside look into how and what each institute teaches, as well as a first hand look at the techniques and ideas that the great players from these remarkable schools have come to produce.
My formal music education consists of 2 years at Pasadena City College where I obtained my general Associates Degree (much of the studies included music) and a semester at California State University Long Beach as a Jazz Guitar Performance Major. Additionally, I completed a great deal of California State University Long Beach's teaching credential program (focusing on the teaching of history/social studies), where I learned strategies and theories of how and what to teach my students - making me that much more knowledgable of my craft. At Pasadena City College I studied with jazz/classical guitarist, Ron Berman, who has played with such jazz greats as Herb Ellis and Jimmy Wyble. At Cal State Long Beach I studied with jazz guitarist Ron Eschete, a former teacher at MI who has toured with the likes of Ray Brown, John Dizzy Gillespie and Jim Hall.
Most importantly I hope to show you or your child a new way to love and appreciate music. And to provide you with the ability and know-how to have the most fun on your instrument as possible.
*** Lesson Details ***
Throughout my lessons, I always encourage basic skills including scales, sight-reading and technical exercises. But what I hope to give all my students is a basic understanding of music and their instrument, providing them with a practical ability to navigate the vast world of music for a lifetime.
Beyond these skills, I always have songs, styles and theory for you to work on but I am often more interested in what you as an individual want to learn on your instrument. Getting to learn concepts that you have chosen yourself will help encourage practice and will make the finished product all the more the rewarding.
I can custom tailor a teaching curriculum and/or style for any of my students: we can focus on learning songs, learning to read, how to write music, how music works, and even how to play specific styles of music (including funk, rock, jazz, Latin, flamenco, classical, country and blues). I also self tailor my own worksheets and set weekly goals with my students to help encourage practice, understanding and progress. For students interested in more advanced concepts, I can also teach ear training, music theory, advanced jazz improvisation as well as advanced playing techniques.
All this in a friendly and easy-going teaching environment.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Located in my home garage, it is equipped with a small stage, an upright piano, an electric keyboard, a PA system, amplifiers, a drum set, a lap steel guitar, a pedal steel guitar, 2 cellos, multiple guitars, 3 mandolins, a dobro, a 5-string banjo, a 4-string tenor banjo, 2 ukuleles, 2 accordions and 2 electric basses.
*** Specialties ***
Styles: Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Metal, Funk, Progressive Rock, Classical, Folk, Bluegrass, Country, Various forms of Latin Music, Blues, and a few others.
Instruments: Beginning to Intermediate - Drums, Accordion and Piano.
Beginning to Advanced - Guitar, Mandolin, Cello, Banjo (5 String), Irish Tenor Banjo (4 String GDAE), Tenor Banjo (4 String CGDA), Electric Bass, Ukulele, Dobro, Lap Steel Guitar (6 String C6 Tuning), Slide Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar (10 String E9 Tuning).
I also teach the beginning and advanced concepts of:
Music Theory, Ear Training, Sight Reading, and Song Writing.
Teach private music lessons on a variety of instruments.
Non-profit organization that teaches elementary school children how to play as a rock band and prepares them for a performance at their school.
Taught private music lessons on a variety of instruments.
Taught a self-created and self-promoted after school program. Taught music, improvisation and how to play as a group/band.
· Cello · Online My son has been taking cello lessons with Jared for almost two years and my son very much enjoys his lessons and he is learning so much. Jared keeps me informed about my son's progress and he is always encouraging my son with regard to his music. As a mom paying for lessons I can not ask for more.
· Guitar · Online Jared is awesome. Very knowledgeable, fun and relaxed. Highly recommend:)
· Ukulele · Online I can't say enough about how fantastic of a teacher Jared is. He is constantly challenging my son and really helping him to read music ( my son has been playing the uke for a year now in school but really had just been copying what his previous teacher did instead of reading the music). Jared is extremely patient and is so thoughtful about his lesson plans, really introducing music my son is really interested in. I know we had been hesitant about doing online lessons because it sounds like such a foreign concept, but we couldn't be happier. I highly recommend Jared.
· Bass Guitar · In studio Jared is awesome! He is very knowledgable, thorough and patient. Can't wait for my next lesson!
· Cello · Online Jared is a fantastic instructor. We were a little anxious about doing online music classes, but this is amazing. Jared is very patient and obviously knows how to teach music. I was impressed how well the online lesson went. My 11 year old thinks he's the coolest!
· Cello · In studio Great lesson, thank you
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Jared is very patient and good with young students.
· Drum · In home The lesson was fun and well structured. Jared was supportive and well versed in the subject. I'm looking forward to my next lesson
· Accordion · Online Great first lesson
· Accordion · Online Great first lesson