Masters Degree in Piano Performance
Bachelors of Fine Arts in Jazz Piano Performance
Golden Key International Honor Society
*** Lesson Details ***
My philosophy is to push you to exceed your expectations and reach your goals while still having fun. I will push you, but gently and show you a lot of effective ways of practicing so that you achieve more in less time. I am big on technique and really believe in the importance of developing a solid technique, which I will help you to acquire.
A strong technique will give you the tools you need to play whatever you want skillfully. With a commanding technique you will be able to focus on making beautiful music.
Are you a singer? Develop your piano/keyboard skills and you can learn to accompany yourself.
I generally divide the lesson into three sections:
I feel it is important to bring all of these elements into all areas of music education, particularly performance.
What is most important is that you are enjoying your music educational experience. Looking forward to your lessons, enjoying your practice time and having a sense of accomplishment. I will push you to exceed your own expectations but you will set the pace as well as determine what music you desire to play.
*** Studio Equipment ***
*** Travel Equipment ***
Music Theory Books
Music Theory Worksheets
Music Theory Assignment Sheets
Practice Assignment Sheets
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in developing a strong technique at the piano to help the student facilitate dexterity and independant finger strength. With these skills I find you will be able to execute any style of performance with a great deal of ease.
Are you a singer? Learn to accompany yourself.
Vocal Coaching Provided
Teaching Private Individualized Piano Lessons
Qualified Audition and Competition Preparation
All Ages / All Levels / All Genres Classical / Pop / Jazz
Teaching Piano Classes for Adults
Teaching Piano Classes for Pre-Schoolers
Introductory Music Class for Babies, Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers
Learning through song, fun and play about rhythm and melody
Introduction to Piano for Pre-Schoolers
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
NAMM is the not-for-profit association that promotes the pleasures and benefits of making music and strengthens the $17 billion global music products industry. NAMM's activities and programs are designed to promote music making to people of all ages.
· Piano · In home Jamila has been giving our 7-year-old twin boys piano lessons for six months, and my wife and I are blown away by what an incredible teacher Jamila is. Our boys began never having played a note in their life, and in just six months they play at a level we didn't think they would reach for at least a year and a half or more. Family and friends who hear the boys play are amazed because their own kids took lessons for years and didn't achieve the same level of skill and knowledge of musical theory so early on--and it is 100% thanks to Jamila! She doesn't underestimate kids or teach down to them. She teaches proper technique and theory in a positive, encouraging, yet rigorous way that I imagine most kids will respond very well to. We feel blessed to have found her.
· Piano · In home One word..... AMAZING!!!
Before Ms. Jamila was my piano teacher, I had little interest in the piano. My other teacher gave me boring, easy songs, which didn't help. After that, I despised the piano, and thought I never would play it. Then, Ms. Jamila came along. Unlike my other teacher, she asked my interests and what song I really liked. Now, I don't know how I ever hated it. I believe I will go far with her as my teacher. She posts articles on her blog and her website which deepens my understanding of music. I would reccomend her to anyone, because on a scale of 1 to 10, she's infinity!
· Piano · In studio Jamila is great!
She is patient and extremely knowledgeable about music.
· Piano · In studio I met Jamila through Take Lessons, and I have to admit, I was so taken back by her level of expertise and knowledge, not to mention her personalized instructions, I am simply delighted to have found her. I find Jamila to be kind, patient and very thorough. I really enjoy spending time with her, talking about music theories, and understanding the art of playing the piano. She has so much knowledge and talent, that I can only hope to be able to play like her, even if its a fraction of the talent. Jamila is such a wonderful teacher, I see her with the younger students, and she has so much patience, its a very nice thing to see.
· Classical Piano · Online Firstly, I would like to say Bravo! Bravo to the lady in Boca Raton!
Our daughter has been taking piano lessons since she was 6, and she is now 16. So we are not new to piano teachers and piano lessons. However, from the first day our daughter began this wonderful new training in music, being taught/instructed by Ms. Jamila, we've observed a tremendous leap in her interest, enthusiasm and sheer joy of studying piano. Ms. Jamila exhibits all the qualities that one could ever find in a skilled and devoted teacher of music.
She has assisted our daughter in every way from music language, theory, technique to her insightful instruction. Our daughter is finally receiving the knowledge she needs to zoom her forward as a pianist. As a result, our daughter cannot wait for her next communication or lesson from Ms. Jamila. One session with Ms. Jamila is equivalent to one year with someone else.
Ms. Jamila is Absolutely Amazing! We highly recommend her to everyone.
Thank you Ms. Jamila. Bravo!
· Piano · In home Jamila is the real deal! What a breath of fresh air after my previous bad experience. She's hands down the most experienced, sweetest and patient teacher around in this area. I've been taking lessons for 4 weeks with Jamila and already playing Bach and Chopin pieces. Every week I'm looking forward to my lessons and I know that I will go far with her. She makes me feel good about myself and always compliments me. She also sends me articles or anything that can help me to get better. Whether you're an adult like me or a child, she won't disappoint you. Thank you Jamila, so happy you moved down from NYC to Florida!
· Piano · Truly individualized lessons!
I was very impressed with Jamila's ability to work with a diverse group of learners at different skill levels and her enthusiastic teaching style. Her kind, patient and non-judgmental yet firm manner made me feel at ease from the very beginning and I quickly progressed as a result of her clear and encouraging instructions. As a medical school faculty member who has taught medical students and practicing physicians, I appreciate the skill involved in individualizing instruction to learners of different abilities. What is most striking about Jamila's teaching is the ease with which she communicates with and instills confidence in players of very different age groups and skill levels
· Piano · Piano Lessons
It is my pleasure to recommend Jamila for piano performance instruction. Jamila possesses a very strong talent, an impressive virtuoso technique, and a particularly strong idiomatic understanding and conveyance of both Romantic repertoire and Jazz. Her artistry is very compelling in her performances of standard repertoire predominantly through her convincing and resonant control of phrase structure, rubato and nuance. Her brilliant passage work in repertoire ranging from Bach to modern jazz also manifests itself beautifully. Her jazz background includes a jazz performance degree where she worked with a number of noted luminaries. He talents and accomplishments in both classical music and jazz comprise a tremendous asset, which will greatly enhance her career development in both performance and academia.
She receives my highest recommendations
· Piano · Very inspriring!
In the first 10 minutes of my first lesson I knew for sure Jamila was going to be a long term teacher. Her passion for music shows in her charisma and wonderful energy when she explains reading sheet music and demonstrating on the piano! I am a beginner with this instrument so at first I was a bit discouraged and intimidated but after my first lesson I have the utmost confidence in knowing that I will be a great pianist with the help of Jamila :)
· Piano · Highly recommend
I have known Jamila S. since 2009 when she joined Florida International University as a student in our graduate program in Piano Performance. Jamila displays a keen interest in a variety of music styles and forms, from Baroque to contemporary, including more popular idioms such as Jazz. Her playing shows marked individuality and rich, healthy sound which projects to the end of a concert hall. In her dealings with her colleagues she is friendly, affable and always willing to help. Besides piano performance, Jamila is showing interest in pedagogical activity. I believe her eclectic musical background coupled with her stellar character would help her become an excellent teacher, and it is with this in mind I recommend Jamila to your kind attenstion.