- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hey future students! My name is Jake and I can't wait to meet you! I've been teaching private drum and piano lessons since 2007 and have loved helping my students learn the basics, develop their skills and musical interests, and have a ton of fun! I went to the University of Rochester / Eastman School of Music and earned a degree in music with a concentration in education in 2012.
After graduating I became a Spanish teacher for students in Kindergarten through 8th grade. I graduated from the Johns Hopkins University School of Education with a MSEd (Masters of Science in Education) in Educational Studies with a concentration in Spanish education, PreK-12. I helped students gain fluency through a curriculum that balanced reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
I am currently pursuing a second Masters degree at the Harvard School of Education in order to become a licensed school guidance counselor.
I'm an effective communicator and enthusiastic person and my teaching style is clear, tailored to individual needs, and engaging. I look forward to helping you reach your goals!
I work with guidance counselors in 1 of Newton South's 4 houses as an intern. I will learn from my mentors all of the responsibilities and functions of a school counselor. These include observing and conducting individual and group counseling sessions, managing cases, representing students' needs at staff meetings, and helping seniors with the college application process.
I taught piano lessons to 10 students, 9 of which were between the ages of 4 and 13. I worked with beginner as well as intermediate students on piano technique, music theory, and developing repertoire. We learned a lot and had a ton of fun doing it!
I assist the lead teacher in an 8th grade special education classroom with daily instruction, grading, and classroom management.
I taught Spanish to students in Kindergarten through 8th grade. I helped students gain fluency through a curriculum that balanced listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills. At the end of a semester, all students, regardless of age and initial ability, were able to communicate in complete Spanish sentences. By the end of Middle School Spanish 2, students were able to read a novella written entirely in Spanish! Additionally, I founded and lead a free bi-weekly Spanish program for all students and their families where we promoted community, parental involvement, and fluency in a second language.
For 5 summers (2007=2011) I taught private drum, piano, and music theory lessons to campers ages 7 - 15. I also served as piano accompanist to both camp musicals in each summer. In 2014, I returned as the Performing Arts Department Head, where I continued my roles as music teacher and accompanist but also managed a team of 10 talented staff members to implement daily instruction to campers.
World Languages: Spanish, PreK-12
· Piano · In home Very pleasant, made our daughter feel at ease.
· Piano · In home My children had an amazing first session with Jake! He had an instant rapport with both of them and made the lesson informative, but most importantly fun and on their individual level.
Jake is warm, professional, talented, and amazing with children.
My kids cannot stop talking about Jake and are so excited about learning piano and their next lesson!
· Piano · In home Jake is clearly a natural with kids. This was my 5 year old daughter's first lesson. Although she was initially nervous, Jake helped her easily transition into the lesson, playfully keeping her on task. She wants to "play every day!"
· Piano · In home Very good first lesson, Jake is an excellent musical education specialist.
· Piano · In home Thank you so much Jake for taking us on this new adventure! The girls had a fantastic experience and what could a parent ask for more when being introduced to a new instrument! Thank you for making this whole process seamless and being so entertaining!
· Composition · In studio Jake is one of the most inspiring teachers I've ever had.
· · In home Jake is a wonderful teacher. He connects to each student and understands what type of instruction they need to improve and to achieve their full potential.
Five stars is not enough for Jake Haskel.
· Piano · In home Jake is great! The lesson was fun and professional!
· Drum · In studio Taking drum lessons with Jake was a great experience. He was able to help me with music that I was interested in, and more importantly, he taught me about different styles of playing which helped me broaden my perspective on the instrument. Jake was very patient with me as I struggled to learn new concepts, and gave me different ways of thinking about the problems I encountered. I would recommend him to any experienced or beginning musician. Thanks Jake!
· Drum · In studio After a lesson with Jake, you will not only feel more confident in your musical abilities, but will also have thoroughly enjoyed your time spent with him. Mr. Haskel is a well-rounded and well-educated teacher in the arts, with a special and unique sense of humor and self. Jake is very conscious of his teaching abilities, and will teach you the skills and techniques you want to learn with utmost care, respect and patience.
I took drum lessons with Jake a summer or two ago, and I can happily state that I became a better musician for it. Jake is the type of instructor that focuses on the "you", rather than so much of what everyone else in the music world is doing. If there is a technique or skill that you want to tackle, then Jake will follow you and teach. He is also an extremely talented and gifted musician, with a great ear, rhythm, and intelligence. I cannot recommend Jake more highly.