- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 21 and special needs
- Teaching since:
- January 2003
Heather C. MAED, B.A.
Heather C. is a member of the Douglas & Elbert County Music Teachers Association (DEMTA), the Colorado Music Teachers Association (CMTA), the National Music Teachers Association (MTNA), Colorado Federation of Music Clubs, and the National Guild of Piano Teachers. Ms. C. has taught in Arapahoe & Douglas counties since 2003 when she moved to the metro area. Each year from 2006-2012 her students have competed in the DEMTA music festival, achieving some of the highest marks in the competition. Several students each year have placed first in their division & performed in honors concerts, accepting trophies for their 1st place finish.
Heather is a native of Anchorage, Alaska. She moved to Colorado to pursue a career in music education at the University of Northern Colorado. Heather graduated from UNC with a B.A. in Liberal Arts. At UNC Heather performed in the Symphonic Band where she was featured as a piccolo soloist for two straight years. Heather obtained the largest music scholarship given to any musician in the history of the music department.
Heather has played piano & flute for over 26 years competing & winning local, national, & international competitions. At UNC Heather studied extensively in music theory, ear training, & music history. In 1994, as well as 1998 Heather took part in the Pacific Basin Band Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii where her school band won the competition against the Pacific Rim states, as well as against Japanese & Australian symphonic bands. In this competition Heather was featured as a solo jazz pianist & as a piccolo soloist.
Heather played piano for three high school choirs in 1995-1996. Heather performed on piano for the mayor of Anchorage, Alaska in 1997. From 1994-1998 She was a piano accompanist for several soloists helping them achieve the highest marks on their performance competitions. Heather played lead piano in the pit orchestra in the musical Fame.
• Alyeen Haynan; a renowned piano instructor who was taught by a second generation pupil of Franz Joseph Haydn, one of the world’s last Classical composers.
• Gail Payne, the principal flutist with the Zimbabwe National Symphony
• Dorli McWayne the principal flutist with the Fairbanks symphony & the flute professor at UAF.
• Lavella Briggs, M.A. piano performance; emphasis in jazz piano
• Jean Lenoir, B.A. flute performance & M.D. music education
• Toured with the Sound of America performing in the following countries & cities: Frankfurt, Germany; Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany; Salzburg, Austria; Saalfelden, Austria; Venice, Italy; Stresa, Italy; Grindelwald, Switzerland; Interlaken, Switzerland; La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland; Dijon, France; Paris France; Disneyland Paris, France; Reims, France; Luxembourg, Luxembourg; & Heidelberg, Germany. In Salzburg, Austria; performed for Hilary & Chelsea Clinton; featured on CNN news.
• Ken Singelton; two M.D. degrees Yale school of music, conductor of the Denver Brass
• Elizabeth Singelton; M.A. flute performance & published several albums
• Sylvia Greenfield; M.A. flute performance, recorded numerous motion picture & TV soundtracks with Twentieth-Century Fox, MGM, Columbia, & Warner Brothers studio orchestras.
*Experience working with ADHD students'. Experience working with students who have mild disabilities.
Subbing in the district in grades K-12th.
See About Me Profile for music resume
Received my Master's degree in elementary education from the University of Phoenix
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.+ Read More
Heather was patient and took things step by step for my 6-year-old daughter. She can't wait to go back!