- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Glynis has been reading music since before she knew how to read words. Her mother started teaching her piano lessons at age 3, and she started taking voice lessons at age 7. She learned from an early age to practice every day. She has taught all levels and ages of piano and voice for many years. Glynis specializes in jazz voice, but has a very strong classical and musical theatre background. She is an arranger, composer, educator, and singer. She received her AA in Professional Music from SWCC, school for music vocations, then got her BA in Jazz Studies, Vocal Performance at CSU Sacramento. She is currently working on her Masters in Jazz Studies, Vocal Performance at the Bob Cole Conservatory inside of CSU Long Beach. While studying she is the Graduate Assistant for Christine Guter, and directs the 2nd vocal jazz ensemble, Jazz and Tonic, at the school.
*** Lesson Details ***
My teaching philosophy is to have a safe, positive, fun, and effective learning environment for all of my students. I believe it is important to be a well rounded musician, therefore I love my students to have a solid understanding of what they are doing. I strongly encourage all of my students to learn theory along with piano or voice, so they understand what they are doing. Each student is unique, therefore each student has a different lesson plan. I do expect that my students will practice during the week in order to grow, since this helps them reach their goals. I do let students pick some of their own repertoire, since it is very important for them to be motivated during the week. I can teach from early Baroque music to modern day and everything in between. Music is expression, therefore I believe it is very important for my students to love what they are working on.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Lessons in my apartment with a keyboard.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can bring a keyboard, but it would be easier if they had one.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in jazz voice, with a strong background in classical and musical theatre. I also specialize in piano, music theory, songwriting and arranging.
I direct both vocal jazz ensembles, teach advanced vocal styles and improvisation, and teach lessons at Fullerton College.
I was the graduate assistant at CSULB and got to direct the second vocal jazz group at the college.
I took all of the undergraduate music education classes at CSU Sacramento, then did 1 semester of the Credential Program before deciding to get my masters degree instead.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Piano · In studio I am 23 years old and have been taking piano lessons with Glynis for close to a year. I can honestly say that my progress over this year has been amazing! As an adult beginner who never played the piano before, I was a little worried that it was too late for me to start learning but I was definitely wrong! Glynis has made it possible for me! She lets you go at your own pace so as not to make you feel overwhelmed or to become too frustrated and give up. Glynis never makes you feel hopeless if you do not get something right away which is something I'm sure any beginning pianist would be grateful for. She is always kind and helpful whenever I do not get something right away and is able to demonstrate it by playing it herself to allow me to know what it should sound like. She always incorporates some sort of theory into our lessons as well which allows me to better understand what I am actually doing on the piano which has helped my growth extensively. She lets you pick pieces that YOU want to learn and will help you through every step of the way to learn it. Glynis has showed me that I can tackle more challenging pieces by learning them line by line and starting slow which keeps me eager and determined to keep practicing! Glynis is the BEST! I look forward to taking lessons with her for years to come!
· Singing · In studio It was a really nice experience. ...My instructor is very knowledgeable, and very patient. ...I felt very relaxed, I'm looking forward to my next class. ..
· Singing · In studio Great teacher, My son now can sing great. She is very patient and professional. She has full of knowledge, I enjoy her very much as my son teacher.
· Piano · In studio Glynis makes lessons fun while teaching technique. She is a gem!
· Singing · In home Glynis was flexible and tailored her teaching style to fit our daughter. She is great with kids. Our 8-year-old is really looking forward to the next lesson and she couldn't stop singing after Glynis left.
· Classical Piano · In studio Glynis, has been a great teacher for my daughter Sophia. Sophia caught on quickly and really enjoys her lessons. Glynis is very calm and explains lesson well for her to understand.. She also enjoys hearing Glynis sing the tunes of the songs. It's been a joy having her as her teacher.
· Piano · In home Glynis was absolutely fabulous as a piano teacher for my daughter. She is calm, sweet, prepared, and knowledgeable. Always prompt and never late. Her teaching style helped my daughter improve incredible amounts over two years. It also helps that she is flexible with scheduling, and she smells great too!
· Singing · In studio Very, good,
· Piano · In home Glynis has made this experience exactly what I needed. As an adult who works full time and hasn't had a piano lesson in decades, I was initially unsure what to expect. Glynis masterfully assessed my ability, my available time and my goals, and she tailored a 20-lesson program perfectly suited for me. Most importantly, she pushes me when I need to be pushed, gives me a break when I am overwhelmed, and reminds me to focus on my original goals and motivation when I am being too hard on myself. I want piano to become a free-flowing outlet and stress-reliever, not another source of stress for my inner perfectionist. Glynis listens to what I need and lets her own love of music do the rest. She goes above and beyond the lesson book by adding instruction tips and tools--musical theory, demonstration, scale exercises, variations on simple pieces (e.g. jazz rhythms/beats), etc. I look forward to each lesson, and she makes me want to make time to practice between lessons so we can make the most of our time together. I am grateful to Glynis for all she has done and would highly recommend her to anyone wanting to learn piano at his/her own pace. I myself am about to sign-up for another batch of lessons, and wouldn't want them with anyone but Glynis.
· Piano · In studio Glynis is great! My 10 year old daughter enjoys taking piano lessons with Glynis. She is patient, reliable, and makes lessons according to my daughter's abilities/needs. I highly recommend her.