- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Glynis has been reading music since before she knew how to read words. Her mother started teaching her piano lessons at age 3, and she started taking voice lessons at age 7. She learned from an early age to practice every day. She has taught all levels and ages of piano and voice for many years. Glynis specializes in jazz voice, but has a very strong classical and musical theatre background. She is an arranger, composer, educator, and singer. She received her AA in Professional Music from SWCC, school for music vocations, then got her BA in Jazz Studies, Vocal Performance at CSU Sacramento. She is currently working on her Masters in Jazz Studies, Vocal Performance at the Bob Cole Conservatory inside of CSU Long Beach. While studying she is the Graduate Assistant for Christine Guter, and directs the 2nd vocal jazz ensemble, Jazz and Tonic, at the school.
*** Lesson Details ***
My teaching philosophy is to have a safe, positive, fun, and effective learning environment for all of my students. I believe it is important to be a well rounded musician, therefore I love my students to have a solid understanding of what they are doing. I strongly encourage all of my students to learn theory along with piano or voice, so they understand what they are doing. Each student is unique, therefore each student has a different lesson plan. I do expect that my students will practice during the week in order to grow, since this helps them reach their goals. I do let students pick some of their own repertoire, since it is very important for them to be motivated during the week. I can teach from early Baroque music to modern day and everything in between. Music is expression, therefore I believe it is very important for my students to love what they are working on.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Lessons in my apartment with a keyboard.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can bring a keyboard, but it would be easier if they had one.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in jazz voice, with a strong background in classical and musical theatre. I also specialize in piano, music theory, songwriting and arranging.
I direct both vocal jazz ensembles, teach advanced vocal styles and improvisation, and teach lessons at Fullerton College.
I was the graduate assistant at CSULB and got to direct the second vocal jazz group at the college.
I took all of the undergraduate music education classes at CSU Sacramento, then did 1 semester of the Credential Program before deciding to get my masters degree instead.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Singing · In studio Very knowledgeable and went about and beyond during my serious time constraints
· Piano · In home Glynis is the best teacher! As an adult student, I have unhappy memories of childhood instructors with punishing demeanors, who would give you a hard time with every mistake. Glynis is the most supportive, encouraging teacher I've ever had. I especially appreciate her rigorous background (Master's Degrees in music, a lifetime of piano and music theory) and her familiarity with the pieces I'm interested in learning (Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Bach, Chopin). She has introduced pieces to me that I hadn't heard before, that I now love to play. It's so nice to be able to sit at the piano and play something that actually sounds like an adult playing!
Glynis is very adept at tailoring her teaching methods to what I need on that particular day. Sometimes I haven't had a chance to practice as much as I'd like, and she is very patient, helping me based on where I am in that moment. When I do have the time to work more diligently on a piece, she listens thoughtfully, praising the good parts and offering gentle suggestions on how I could improve. She sometimes will paint visual pictures for me of how the music should sound ("make it sound like children running through a meadow"), which is silly but also useful! Glynis knows how to bring out the best in my playing, and shows genuine enthusiasm when I master something hard. My playing has dramatically improved over the past few months, and I've really enjoyed spending time with Glynis at the piano.
I'd recommend Glynis to any adult looking to improve their piano skills. She is absolutely fantastic.
· Piano · In studio Glynis is able to not only quickly assess where a student is at in his or her skill level, but also where that will fit with what the student's goals are for music education. She easily and smoothly integrates both practice and theory into the lesson while incorporating fun at the same time!
· Piano · In studio I attempted to learn piano years ago as a child and recently decided to take lessons again now that I am an adult. Glynnis is a fantastic teacher. She is well versed and skilled in not only playing the piano, but teaching it as well-something not all piano players are able to master. She is patient, dedicated, and enthusiastic about her students’ progress. I have only been taking lessons a few short months and already I have seen my skills improve. I thoroughly enjoy our lessons each week and look forward to my continued growth in this skill.
I would highly recommend her to anyone that would like to learn to play the piano. You will not be disappointed.
· Piano · In studio I am 23 years old and have been taking piano lessons with Glynis for close to a year. I can honestly say that my progress over this year has been amazing! As an adult beginner who never played the piano before, I was a little worried that it was too late for me to start learning but I was definitely wrong! Glynis has made it possible for me! She lets you go at your own pace so as not to make you feel overwhelmed or to become too frustrated and give up. Glynis never makes you feel hopeless if you do not get something right away which is something I'm sure any beginning pianist would be grateful for. She is always kind and helpful whenever I do not get something right away and is able to demonstrate it by playing it herself to allow me to know what it should sound like. She always incorporates some sort of theory into our lessons as well which allows me to better understand what I am actually doing on the piano which has helped my growth extensively. She lets you pick pieces that YOU want to learn and will help you through every step of the way to learn it. Glynis has showed me that I can tackle more challenging pieces by learning them line by line and starting slow which keeps me eager and determined to keep practicing! Glynis is the BEST! I look forward to taking lessons with her for years to come!
· Singing · In studio It was a really nice experience. ...My instructor is very knowledgeable, and very patient. ...I felt very relaxed, I'm looking forward to my next class. ..
· Singing · In studio Great teacher, My son now can sing great. She is very patient and professional. She has full of knowledge, I enjoy her very much as my son teacher.
· Piano · In studio Glynis makes lessons fun while teaching technique. She is a gem!
· Singing · In home Glynis was flexible and tailored her teaching style to fit our daughter. She is great with kids. Our 8-year-old is really looking forward to the next lesson and she couldn't stop singing after Glynis left.
· Classical Piano · In studio Glynis, has been a great teacher for my daughter Sophia. Sophia caught on quickly and really enjoys her lessons. Glynis is very calm and explains lesson well for her to understand.. She also enjoys hearing Glynis sing the tunes of the songs. It's been a joy having her as her teacher.