- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
My name is Erin. I am a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Music, with a concentration in Violin. I began studying violin at the age of six. I have performed with small chamber ensembles, orchestras, quartets, and trios. I enjoy playing for churches and weddings, and love teaching.
I began teaching beginner to advanced Violin and Viola in April of 2001 in NC. I moved to California in the fall of 2008. Since moving to California I have extended my teaching to beginner Piano and Cello also. I have taught students ages 3 to 87 how to play and enjoy music on a personal level. My experience includes leading sectionals for middle school orchestra, organizing and instructing small ensembles, and organizing student recitals. Student recitals I arranged once or twice a year to showcase the students' growth and abilities, and to provide an opportunity to give back to family and friends whose sacrifices and support enable the students to succeed.
I teach because I love music and I believe God has given me a gift. Playing and teaching help me to use my talent for His glory. I love working with people and I love how music enables people of all ages to open up and express themselves in a positive way, no matter what life throws their way. I believe music teaches discipline, builds self esteem; helps set and achieve goals; and positively affects and enhances other curricular endeavors.
My teaching philosophy is to always have fun while learning, to set attainable goals for the student, to learn through encouragement and discipline, and to help students come to love music on a personal level. I focus on the character of each student and their goals and desires to see that the student and/or parents are satisfied. Teaching is a privilege for me that I do not take for granted.
*** Lesson Details ***
I offer half hour, forty-five minute, sixty minute lessons, or longer on a weekly basis, but I do Not offer bi-weekly lessons. My lessons begin with the fundamentals of music. I believe a firm foundation in rhythm and reading is important because a student may switch musical instruments one day and the basics are universal and necessary. I have a deep love and appreciation for music which I hope to instill in my students as well. I am strict in the sense that I like students to polish their pieces before moving on. I like to keep them focused on playing well, not just playing.
A typical lesson will begin with scales to warm up, a review of the previous week's material, and a new assignment. Students will memorize pieces, be proficient in scales and rhythms, and all the while laughing and having a great time. I am known with my students for my creative analogies and flexibility to try new things in order to adapt to the students strengths and weaknesses. My students look forward to coming to their lesson, and that is very rewarding as a teacher.
I primarily use the Suzuki method for Violin and Viola, because it offers progressive steps to mastering technique, style, and musicality. My curriculum includes the use of Winning Rhythms, Wohlfahrt studies, All for Strings Theory, Essentials for Strings, and many more beginner and advanced studies; including shifting and double stops.
I love music and I love working with people; teaching is just icing on the cake. I look forward to helping you achieve your goals and discover your talents and I hope we can learn together. I look forward to meeting you!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Music Stand and Keyboard
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect the student to have their instrument, and necessary accessories ie: rosin, shoulder rest, strings, books, and music stand.
*** Specialties ***
I teach Music on Violin, Viola, and Piano, as well as beginner cello. I am very creative in my teaching methods, though I use the Suzuki Method primarily for string instruments. I believe learning should be fun. I teach all the fundamentals of music from the beginning: counting rhythm, scales, reading music, theory.
Teach private Violin, Viola, Piano and Cello lessons in my studio, in students homes and online.
I have worked for several different music stores as well as maintained my own private studio teaching music since 2001. In North Carolina I worked for Music & Arts, Music N More and Howren Music. I teach beginner to advanced Violin & Viola and beginner to intermediate Piano & Cello.
· Violin · In studio Erin has been helping my daughter to really make a beautiful sound, fixing her bad habits from a previous teacher, and teaching her how to tune and care for her violin on her own.
· Violin · In studio So patient with my 3 year old son. The curriculum was well suited for a 3 year old boy!!
· Piano · In studio Had a great first lesson and looking forward to more.
· · Online I take both intermediate violin and beginner cello online with Erin. She's fantastic! She's taught me lots of new things and keeps things fun. I also appreciate that she treats me like an intelligent adult, even when I am struggling with things, instead of like a young child. I recommend Erin's help to all ages and skill levels!
· Violin · In home Erin is a delightful teacher and really connects well with kids (My daughter is 7). We've had other instructors in the past and what I appreciate about Erin is that she spends a lot of time focusing on the fundamentals. This has been invaluable for my daughter. Her skills have advanced considerably under Erin's tutelage. Highly recommended violin instructor.
· Violin · In studio Erin is a wonderful teacher! I started taking lessons with her as a beginner and after just a few months I've come along way. Learning under Erin I feel confident I’m learning correctly and the full scope of my instrument. She has a great studio with all the tools, music and instruments making learning very easy and fun. She has also been very accommodating with my busy work/practice schedule. I would highly recommend Erin as a teacher!
· Violin · Online Erin is a terrific teacher. She is so good with children. She is patient and kind. My granddaughter has made amazing progress with the violin--and she takes her lessons long distance via Skype!
· Cello · Online Erin has been a wonderful teacher. She's extremely knowledgeable and is able to pass that knowledge on in clear language and examples. Erin has a positive caring personality that makes learning enjoyable. She's also very understanding when changes in the my schedule are needed. I'm so glad I found her!
· Violin · In studio I started taking lessons from Erin a little over 3 years ago. I am an adult learner and have aspirations of playing in an orchestra. I now play in two. Thanks Erin. I have recommended to friends.
· Violin · Online Everything went well. Just getting started and had a couple of starting issues with the violin but other than that, good!