- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello all! I am Emily F., a graduate of Grove City College with a degree in Music Education. While in school I majored in Percussion and Voice and spent the majority of my time performing and gaining experience. I am currently an elementary music teacher with Prince George's County Schools, where I have just begun my 5th year of teaching. I have had years of lessons myself and have taught many students as well. As a vocalist, I can teach you how to sing anything from Top 40 hits to Broadway numbers to Operatic Arias. I will help you gain confidence as a performer and vocal strength. I am also prepared to teach beginning piano lessons to help you learn to accompany yourself and others. For percussion lessons, I have years of experience as a principal percussionist in my College's band and orchestra and would love to help you learn how to be a classically trained percussionist, not a drummer. Overall, I offer experience, knowledge, and a chance to get out of your shell and onto a stage.
*** Lesson Details ***
As a teacher, I strive to create an environment that is student centered. I want you to feel as comfortable as possible when we begin a lesson so that you can do your best. Lessons with me will be fairly laid back, but only if I see you giving 100%. My goal is to create self-motivated learners at any age. As far as curriculum goes, I will work off of what you want to learn and what books you may already have. I can suggest books for almost any genre of voice, basic piano books, and I know the best beginning percussion books out there. Regardless of genre or instrument, after a few months with me you will be a confident performer. I want all of my students to not only be trained on their instrument, but on showing their talent to the world.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Full Length Keyboard, Recording Equipment, Guitar (just in case), Ukulele.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I will bring any materials necessary for the first lesson and then suggest materials that the student should use. I have a ukelele and a pitch pipe that can be used for vocal lessons if a keyboard is unavailable.
*** Specialties ***
I have a great deal of experience auditioning for plays and musicals and got many parts in high school in college. I have had years of experience performing in both vocal and instrumental groups. Vocally, I am comfortable teaching Broadway, pop, or classical vocal styles. In the percussion field, I specialize in mallet instruments, but I am comfortable teaching auxiliary and snare as well.
I teach general music and chorus to grades Pre-Kindergarten to Sixth.
I sang and played piano at Seasons 52 in Tysons Corner and Bethesda. I played covers of songs from all eras and genres. I created a large enough repertoire to play for 7-8 hours at a time.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Piano · In home Emily is great! She is very accomplished, has a great personality and positive energy. During my first lesson, she gave me a lot of tips on how to improve my learning skills. I'm looking forward to my next lesson with her.
· Piano · In home Very patient! shows up on time and ready to work with me.
· Piano · In home This teacher is not dependable. She did not show for several appointments. She is delayed in responding to emails to schedule new appointments.
· Percussion · In home I started taking marimba lessons from Emily several months, but due to various work related and health issues, I've had to frequently change my schedule with her. I have appreciated her flexibility in working with me and has always responded in a timely manner. She has shown great patience and is a good teacher. She loves what she's doing and that is a great asset in teaching. Most of all, she is a very nice person.
· Piano · In studio I have been taking piano lessons with Emily for almost a year, and have had a very good experience. Her teaching style is "laid back" and patient, but she does emphasize accuracy in technique. (This was a factor I was looking for in a piano teacher.) I took lessons as a child, but had not touched the piano since then. In the past year, I feel I have made significant progress.
Personally, Emily seems to be a dedicated profession (she is also a nice person to work with.) She has consistently responded to e-mails, texts, etc. in a timely manner.
· Singing · In home Emily was super helpful. She worked really well with me, even when I was a little nervous. She's such a bubbly and positive person, and I looked forward to every lesson i had with her. She worked with me and all my scheduling issues, and was very understanding. I really enjoyed her teaching style, she was very relaxed and made me feel a lot more comfortable singing. Overall I really thing I've improved over these past few months and I'm looking forward to keeping in touch with Emily!
· Singing · In home In terms of Emily, I found her to be a sweet person. In terms of her professionalism as a voice teacher for my daughter, it was a disaster. Phone calls and texts were hardly ever returned and she would cancel a lesson one hour before the lesson.