One of the great things about being a bassist is that you can play with a lot of different groups. From jazz combos and rock bands, to bluegrass bands and string quintets, the bass can be an integral part of each. For me, learning and playing many different types of music has added to the joy of being a bass player. Through teaching and performing, I hope to share my enthusiasm for the instrument.
I have had the benefit of working with great teachers throughout my bass playing career, including members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Lyric Opera, and the Chicago Jazz Ensemble. Because of this, I understand what a difference the right teacher can make. Furthermore, I know what teaching styles and techniques work best for me as a current student, so I am able to relate, and tailor the lesson to fit the student's needs.
I am the in-house bass instructor at St. Charles North High School. On Thursday mornings, I teach for the entire school day before heading back to Chicago for the week.
I travel down to Kelly High School several times a month to work with students in a private lesson setting, or to help out groups of players either with orchestra music, or basic fundamentals of the instrument.
Over the past three years I have steadily grown my reputation as a sought after and reliable side man or collaborator, playing with acts as a side man, or main collaborator in the genres of Bluegrass, Old-Time, Progressive Folk, Honky Tonk Country, Rock and Roll, and Blues. Making my living playing and teaching music, I understand what goes into being a professional in both the musical and interpersonal sense.
I have been teaching privately since I was in high school on both electric bass and upright bass. I have the experience of working with younger students who are just beginning to helping students who are auditioning for colleges or college orchestras.
I lead a workshop on contemporary folk bass techniques at the 2016 Chicago Bass Festival
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Upright Bass · In home Super cool guy. A lesson with Eli is the perfect blend of his knowledge, expertise, patience, and overall chill. 5 stars all the way.
· Bass Guitar · In home Eli is professional, courteous, & patient. All qualities that make him a good instructor. We are very satisfied & glad our son enjoys his lessons.
· Bass Guitar · Online If you are looking for an excellent bass teacher, look no further. You would be wasting your time. I've had a number of music instructors over the years, and I can easily say that Eli ranks at or near the top of that list.
Eli knew exactly where to start with me... he truly has an amazing ability to gauge where the student's level of knowledge is, and tailor the lesson exactly to that. Within a few lessons, I had improved my form tremendously. We covered everything that I wanted to learn, and wasted no time on things that I already knew.
What's more, a few of the instructors I have had in the past came off as a bit elitist and snobby. Eli is one of the most genuine guys around. He'll guide the lesson at your own pace, always willing to pause and show you something a second, third, or fourth time... At no point do you ever feel like you are going to ask a dumb question. This is a crucial trait of a good instructor, and Eli definitely has that going for him.
He is also quite accommodating. We typically do Skype lessons, but one there was one time that his room mate had made a slight miscalculation in the internet bill, which resulted in no internet that day. Rather than let that stop him, he actually brought his bass and amplifier on the bus, and came to my apartment to give me the lesson in person. He will make sure you get your lesson, one way or another.
My only regret is that I don't have a 6th star to give the guy! I definitely recommend him to anyone looking to learn how to play the bass guitar.
· Bass Guitar · In home Eli is an excellent teacher. He is patient, kind and very respectful. He is preparing several of the kids in our church (La Casa de Dios in Chicago) to play in the worship group. They enjoy his lessons very much! Your work is very important to our church, thank you Eli!
· Bass Guitar · Online Eli focused on my needs and helped me to improve during my very first lesson!
· Upright Bass · In studio I've known Eli for a long time. We have had many discussions exchanging teaching techniques and philosophies. It has always been apparent to me that he puts a lot of thought into each of his students to find what will best allow them to succeed. I have even received a short lesson from him. He was very patient and clear. Highly recommend!
· Upright Bass · In studio Eli is awesome! Taking lessons with him has allowed me to explore all my different musical interests in depth, and has opened my eyes to the subtle and beautiful nuances that playing classical music requires. He's helped me make music with this instrument that I didn't even know I was capable of making. He's a great teacher, and and an insanely talented bassist.