Hey, I'm Donna and I've been teaching trumpet, Brass instruments and saxophones since 1987. I am a certified teacher in NY, and have recently moved to Los Angeles to enjoy the weather and perform Rock, Jazz, Blues with many different bands.
I love starting students out on their instruments, and have had great success helping beginners and intermediate players do really well in school and at Solo festivals, All County and All State.
I have judged NYSSMA Festivals for over 15 years (and still fly back to do it!), and know how to help students play well under the pressure of an audition.
I have had students get accepted into Juilliard and Manhattan Pre-Colleges (Jazz), USDAN, many other music camps and colleges across the country.
I have performed at the Orpheum Theatre (LA), City National Grove (Anaheim), Wolf Den (Mohegan Sun, CT), World Cafe (Philadelphia), Paramount NY, Landmark Theatre, Dix Hills Performing Arts Centre, NYCB Theatre, Riverhead Blues Festival, Patchogue Theatre, Theatre Three and numerous restaurants and clubs in NY and Los Angeles metro areas.
From performing with many bands, I know how exciting it is to play songs. I want all my Beginner and Intermediate students to enjoy making music by ear and by reading. In addition to classical music, I also love teaching Jazz and improvisation to all my students, which makes them more independent and creative. I have also used many method books like Breeze Easy, Essential Elements 2000, Rubank, Jump Right In, Clarke, Arban and Universal Method for Saxophone.
I love helping students reach their potential!
I have many videos on YouTube to help young players, trumpet and saxes.
*** Studio Equipment ***
I predominantly use Selmer Mark VI saxophones (alto and tenor)
Bach Stradivarius Model 37 Trumpet
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in helping students overcome embouchure problems.
I also have vast experience teaching students with braces. I have written articles on this topic on my site and others over the years.
Coaching Middle School saxophone students via weekly sectionals and performances.
I taught Elementary Band, Jazz Band and General Music. I also was a Sponsoring Teacher for future Music Education Teachers for 3 years.
I am Permanenty Certified in the state of NY to teach music K-12, and have taught in public schools on Long Island and Queens, NY for over 14 years.
JEN was formed in 2008 to help bring together the jazz arts community. It hosts an annual conference with concerts presented by students and professionals, a student jazz festival, workshops, research presentations and an exhibition area with manufacturers, retailers, schools and other jazz related organizations. JEN also offers many educational programs, from an outreach program, to mentoring and scholarships.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
The International Trumpet Guild is a non-profit organization founded in 1975 to promote communications among trumpet players around the world and to improve the artistic level of performance, teaching, and literature associated with the trumpet.
· Saxophone · In studio Donna is fabulous!! She worked with my teenage son to improve his Bari Sax skills. She is engaging and friendly as well as a consummate professional. I highly recommend her!!
· Trumpet · In home Donna is terrific and I look forward to working with her again in the future!
· Saxophone · In home Donna is a very enthusiastic teacher. Even before she scheduled the 1st lesson, she asked about my background in playing sax and what my goals are (which is sight reading and improvisation). She immediately recommended a couple of books. The next day she came for the 1st lesson, I was prepared and she came prepared. I am self-taught in playing sax. She is my first private tutor. She gave me tips on warming up, improving my tone, pitch exercises and getting the right rhythm on a jazz song. She brought her sax also and played side by side as she tutored me. She gave me homework for my next weeks lesson. She knows exactly what I need. I am so motivated to play more. She even stayed longer than one hour just to make sure I get my questions answered. I'm telling you she's the best. School starts next week, I can't wait to tell my classmates about her. I'll be in 10th grade. You have nothing to lose. In fact, I've already learned more in 1 hour than what I learned in 1 month at school.
· Saxophone · In home She is very patient with my son, who has NEVER played a wind instrument. We are looking forward to his next lesson!
· Trumpet · In home so far so terrific! i am def in good hands!
· Trumpet · Superior Skills!
Donna is a strong music teacher who always takes the whole child into consideration! She believes that ALL children should have music in their lives, despite any special physical or educational needs. She makes lessons fun and always reinforces the importance of practicing!