David discovered his love for music early on at the age of seven with the musical/movie: The Sound of Music. He and his siblings would entertain their babysitter by acting out the entire musical - singing and dancing along with the soundtrack. To make it even more fun, they would sometimes speed up the vinyl record and perform in extra-fast mode! (And that was way before 'Wii - Just Dance!')
He vividly remembers his first real musical instruction back in elementary school:
“Everyone in 4th Grade was given a Recorder to learn how to play 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star'. When the music teacher had the class play together, she noticed that I wasn't looking down at my music booklet as I played, since I was 'playing by ear'. Not only was my booklet turned to the wrong page; it was upside down as well! To admonish me, she had me stand up in front of the whole class and play solo - as she held the booklet in front of me. Enthusiastically, I rendered the complete song correctly, only pretending to read from the page as she held it, but actually 'playing by ear'. Upon getting to the end of the tune, I suddenly broke out in a jazzed-up, improvised version of 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star', arousing the whole class to spontaneously tap their feet in rhythm and clap with delight . . . my first solo performance!”
David eventually took up guitar in his teens, becoming involved with playing for musicals such as "Godspell" and "Jesus Christ Superstar". During high school, he also played in the Bluegrass band 'Odell & Zeke', and in the Rock band 'Ring Wraith', performing for local dances and proms.
Extremely versatile within classical and popular guitar styles, David played in the Top-40-Hit music video, Shine Shine, by The Bee Gees' Barry Gibb – alongside pop-star legend - Michael Jackson. David is also mentioned in Just Jazz Guitar Magazine for his jazz endeavors; and he has years of experience as a church music director.
As a Classical concert guitarist, David has performed throughout the USA and Europe. His live performances have been broadcast on television and radio: NPR’s Performance Today (USA); CBC’s Arts National (Canada); RAI Television’s In Concerto (Italy), and the Hungarian National Television. Successful in competitions, David won First Prize in the 20th International Guitar Competition in Milan, Italy and First Prize in the National Wurlitzer Artist Competition, USA. He has received other awards and grants as well, including a Solo Recitalist Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Governor's Award from Department of State, Florida. Moreover, he was chosen for the rosters of both the California State Touring Program and the North Carolina Visiting Artists Program.
David’s 35 years of teaching and performing experience, coupled with intensive years of formal studies with many of the world's greatest guitarists, including Andres Segovia, Eliot Fisk, David Russell, Christopher Parkening, Holzman, Ghiglia, Morgen, Tomas, Isbin - have afforded him a rich and in-depth understanding of music and the guitar. He shares all of this with his students in an insightful and uniquely original manner.
Florida State University - Master of Music - Guitar Performance
Florida State University - Bachelor of Music - Guitar Performance
Certificates of Professional Study:
- L'Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Italy
- Aspen Music Festival
*** Lesson Details ***
Wouldn't you love to play the music that you enjoy listening to the most?
Ever listen to your very favorite songs on your iPod or on the radio and really wish you could just play along? Well, here's your opportunity! Even if you are just beginning, I can help get you up and strumming in no time! You can choose your favorite songs to play - and I will show you how! Imagine playing along with Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, Fun, Ke$Ha, Demi Lovato, Flo Rida, Alex Clare, Ne-Yo, and more!
And for you adults: imagine playing your favorite songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. What a wonderful way to re-kindle all the fun, memories and meaningful songs of your youth!
I am committed to helping you really enjoy and excel in playing the music you love! You will find our lessons fun, interesting, and always inspiring. What better way to be motivated to learn and play, than having fun . . . and enjoying it along the way?!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Separate, professional studio in a nice setting. Lots of windows, art, books make it inviting and cozy. Special separate adjacent room for parents and siblings, allowing parents to watch lessons through glass doors without "intruding".
*** Travel Equipment ***
I carry my own iPad, computer, cd player.
Students should have instrument, capo, music. Ability for student to take video recording/audio recording is helpful. Often, we will use parent's iPhone at end of lesson to record important concepts/techniques/etc.
*** Specialties ***
I am versatile within classical and popular guitar styles: folk, country, rock, new age, praise, bluegrass. My in-depth understanding of music theory, guitar technique, and performance affords me a wealth of practical and artistic experience from which I lead students on their musical journey.
Teaching guitar for over 35 years at all levels, including Beginner through Advanced.
Certificate of Professional Study:
- L'Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Italy
· Ukulele · In home David was very knowledgeable about music and made it easy to understand. This was especially important to me since I am starting new, not having any musical background other than a love for music and a passion to play. This instructor helped me realize I have potential which is also important. After just one lesson I was able to take what he taught me and put some of his advice together musically and it is starting to make sense. I am looking forward to my future lessons!
· Guitar · In home Great teacher ... thorough and provides instruction based on students skill and need
· Guitar · In studio David pointed out how I was moving incorrectly from one chord to another, I didn't even realize I was doing it. He showed me an exercise to break that bad habit, it is also helping me to move from one chord to another smoothly and easily. I can already tell the difference in just a few days. He explained things in a way, I fully understood. I had a great lesson and cant wait till the next!
· Guitar · In home Great lesson today. I particularly like the focus on fundamentals. David is helping me to refine my guitar playing and thereby open new windows for me. Great sense of humor too.
· Guitar · In studio David is absolutely fabulous. He is flexible, caring and willing to work at my daughter's pace. Even when she gets frustrated, he stays totally calm and handles it with ease. He keeps things light and fun, but somehow manages to keep her on task at the same time. Best of all, my eight year old daughter is truly loving playing the guitar! I cannot recommend him highly enough.
· Guitar · In home I started lessons with David a couple of months ago unsure about whether I'd stick with guitar lessons at all. I mean, the web is full of tutorials for playing. But I figured I'd give lessons a try.
I have been extremely pleased with my lessons and my progress thus far. Our lessons are a nice mix of learning songs and techniques and always emphasizing what I want to be learning. Considering I'm 39 and years out of school, this is important for me.
David has also been a remarkable teacher for my 8 year old son. Both my wife and I are very happy with the instruction we have received. Yes, David is slightly more expensive than some others here, but you get what you pay for! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him for anyone looking for lessons.
· Guitar · In studio I began taking guitar lessons from David over year ago after several years of lessons with other teachers. I feel quite lucky to have found David, who is not only an extremely talented guitarist but an exceptional teacher. The guitar can be a somewhat intimidating instrument for a “mature adult” student such as myself, but David makes every lesson a positive, fun experience that I always look forward to. He patiently demonstrates techniques, explains concepts in clear, understandable terms, and gently critiques my playing. I have made a great deal of progress in a short amount of time under David's mentorship and I unequivocally recommend him to anyone who wants to become a better guitarist.
· Guitar · In home So far my son has been enjoying the classes. David seems to be a very good teacher and I would recommend him strongly. He interacts with the student very well.
· Guitar · In studio David is wonderful. He sees both me and my 7 yr. old son. He puts Jak at ease and meets him where he is at. He is enthusiastic about teaching. David is also kind, gentle, and encouraging. I am LOVING my lessons and Jak though he won't admit it is also having a great time learning to play the guitar. Thanks David!
· Guitar · Excellent teacher - deep concept; excellent skill
David adapted very well to the student's skill level and helped student improve greatly. He communicates the concepts clearly, observes and offers advise or play an example to provide the required guidance.