Music and education are the driving forces in my life. From as early as I can remember, I found something in music that lit a fire in my soul. This fire is a passion for expression, communication, and creativity. This is a passion that I hope to pass on to my students.
There are two basic principles that guide both my musical approach and teaching philosophy:
- Maintain a consistent regimen of study that is vast in style, instrumentation, and performance potential
- Continually build on a foundation of learning that incorporates eclectic methods and perspectives
I graduated, from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music (percussion emphasis), a minor in psychology, and a MD state certification to teach K-12 education in music.
*** Lesson Details ***
Much of my experience, both in ensembles and in personal study, has centered not only on the technical aspects of percussion, but on a philosophical perspective regarding performance.
In my lessons, you can expect to explore:
-technique and execution
-development of a physical and mental connection to the instrument
-preparation of repertoire for performance scenarios
-active listening and creative response for 'jam' scenarios
-music theory as it relates to the percussionist
-your own creative potential (this is the most important part!)
*** Studio Equipment ***
Drum Set, Practice Pads, Music Stands
*** Travel Equipment ***
Initially, I can provide practice pads, method books, etc. but these are things that I will expect the student to buy for their studies.
Students should have a drum set, or be looking to purchase a drum set soon.
*** Specialties ***
*Teachers classified as a Student Favorite have taught a minimum of 25
lessons and have received the highest feedback rating from students.Rock, funk, jazz, blues, hip hop, reggae, rudimental drumming, art music, percussion
A wide variety of methods can be explored and incorporated into one's lesson, and will be geared towards the goals of the learner.
· · Dan has been teaching my daughter drum for about four months. He is a great instructor! He is great about motivating her to practice, and is very patient. He is really good at explaining things to her. Dan has really helped her improve. He is the best!
· · Awesome
Dan is very patient and dedicated, which makes him an excellent teacher for my 5 year old nephew. Great role model, too.
· · Dan is really good at getting the best out of you. He expects you to be prepared to every lesson and that is helpful in the long run. He is honest and straight forward in his assessment and that help you to get a good idea where you are in the learning process. I enjoy and look forward to my sessions with him.
· · Discontinue Drumming Lessons
Dan, Thank you for all of your help. I appreciated your time and energy. You are a great instructor and I had alot of fun working with you. I wish you well on your journey. My path right now has me going in a different direction. Much gratitude, Dawn St. Clair
· · Great Teacher!
Dan is very skilled and a very patient instructor. He does an excellent job working at the student's pace building up through fundamentals while still making sure there is fun involved. He can also rock out with his band!
· · My 8 year old daughter is a student of Dan's. Drum lessons are her favorite time of the week. He is an amazing teacher who does a great job with his students. We really love Dan.
· · student/drummer
Dan is a great teacher. he is patient, funny, organized. And is able to get thethe most out of his students by having them see thing differently and relates complicated rythms down to simpler steps.