- Teaches students:
- Ages 9+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- October 1998
Welcome to my profile!
I strive to be very adaptive in my teaching style. Some students need to be pushed, others need a slower pace. People have different learning styles, different strengths and weaknesses, different goals, different personalities. I'm a born problem solver, so my first questions to new students focus on determining their goals and intentions, their current level, and the best strategy for getting them to where they'd like to be. One of my greatest joys in life is working with motivated goal oriented students through private lessons and ensemble coachings. As a musician, yogi, athlete, and health nut, I aim to integrate as many skill sets as it takes to best aid the student.
I have been teaching private horn lessons and performing professionally for more than 2 decades. Students of mine consistently place high in region and all state auditions, and have gone on to study at major music schools across the US and Europe.
Here are some of my Performing credentials:
* Substitute Musician with the Philadelphia Orchestra
* Substitute Musician with the New Jersey Symphony
* Principal Horn - Pennsylvania Ballet (Philadelphia)
* Principal Horn - Ocean City Pops Orchestra (NJ)
* Substitute Musician for Lion King on Broadway
* Recordings for NASCAR, Sony Classical, and Naxos Records
* Hornist and founder of Universal Brass Ensemble
* Active Clinician, Chamber Musician, Orchestral Musician, and Soloist
* Performances with Dave Brubeck, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, John Legend, Gloria Estefan, Carlos Santana, Mannheim Steamroller, Patti Lupone, Leann Rhimes, Josh Groban...
* Bachelor Degree in Horn Performance, with outside studies in Piano and Composition from Indiana University.
* Visiting Faculty at Bennington Chamber Music Conference - 2018
* Faculty Westminster Choir College - 2003-2006
* Faculty Summertrios festival - 2002-Present
* Coach and clinician at Rutgers University, James Madison University, University of Central Arkansas, Kutztown University, Eastern Michigan University
****Please contact for availability. I do not use the calendar function on this website.
A labor union representing professional musicians in the United States and Canada. Founding in 1896 as the successor to the "National League of Musicians," the AFM is the largest organization in the world representing the interests of professional musicians.+ Read More
Dan is my horn instructor!! He is extremely professional, well versed in all aspects of teaching and a pleasure to watch in action. It would be a mistake not to make him your first choice as a french horn instructor.
I have studied with Dan for the past few years now and my playing has improved drastically. Dan is fantastic in that he always reinforces technique whenever you are doing something wrong and builds good horn playing habits. He has so many different, methodical and intuitive ways to approach any kind of horn playing problem, and they have been all effective. In addition to the technical aspect, he helps to build great musicianship through focus on phrasing and expression that have elevated my playing and the way I approach music, from both a technical and musical stance. Lastly, his lessons are really fun! He's got a great sense of humor and friendliness that makes the learning enjoyable and memorable.+ Read More
He’s very helpful for all levels, he’s very patient and has helped me learn the French horn since I started. He is extremely kind and knows how to fix any problem you’re having. His expertise on horn makes him a great teacher.
Dan’s a great teacher because of how hard he pushes his students. He doesn’t care if you hate him, he will remind you every time you are doing something wrong with a way to fix the problem. He’s strict but has a fun side about him that makes him an enjoyable and helpful teacher.+ Read More