- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a classically trained bassoonist with a Master's degree from London's Royal College of Music. I love finding each student's own learning style to tailor the experience, and I encourage my students to make their own decisions about musical expression (with plenty of guidance, of course!).
In my work as a performer I have played with orchestras all over the world, from the South London Sinfonia to the Bombay Chamber Orchestra. My musical life is full of variety, and I think that the experiences I've had as a musician make me a creative and thoughtful teacher.
*** Lesson Details ***
I wouldn't call myself strict, but I do have high standards. I expect my students to put in the work at home, so that we can get the most out of lesson time, but I think that my expectations are realistic. After all, we all have busy lives, and even if you haven't had time to prepare we can always have a productive lesson.
We will learn simple tunes in the very first lesson, and I will always balance technical exercises with fun. (Though I do think a lot of exercises are fun too!) After a few months we will have a solid foundation of music theory and will have developed your music reading abilities considerably. We will have worked on a great technical foundation of scales and exercises, so that your fingers won't fail you. We will also be delving in to longer and more complex tunes, and considering the possibility of some form of casual public or in-home performance, for you to show your family and friends what you've learned!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect students to have their own instruments and music.
*** Specialties ***
I coach the double reed students at this excellent music program.
Private lessons, specializing in woodwinds and beginning piano.
I taught lessons in flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet and saxophone to enrich this high school music program.
I taught a variety of instruments (flute, piano, oboe, bassoon) at this music program and assisted with ensemble rehearsals.
Bassoon performance and pedagogy
A labor union representing professional musicians in the United States and Canada. Founding in 1896 as the successor to the "National League of Musicians," the AFM is the largest organization in the world representing the interests of professional musicians.
· Oboe · Online My daughter looks forward to her lessons and practices willingly.
· Bassoon · In home I found Cory to be friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. She thoroughly answered questions I had and offered great advice. I am looking forward to my next lesson.
· Flute · In studio Very helpful instructor 😍
· Flute · In home She is always prompt and responsible. She seems to be with the pace of the student's ability. My daughter enjoys it. Recommend!
· Bassoon · In home Cory was a great teacher for our son who brought him a deep insight into this difficult instrument. We hope to have her back again. Thanks, Cory!
· Oboe · In home Cory has been teaching my 11 year old son for only five lessons in Oboe and we couldn't be more than happier! Her calm and patient demeanor works well for my son. Cory is very knowledgeable and instructs my son without making it too overwhelming for him. Few weeks back, we had some company over and our son wanted to play a short piece for our guests. Everyone was so surprised that he only had two lessons and could play a melody (completely Cory's doing)! We feel lucky to have found a great instructor!
· Piano · Great teacher.
Cory has been a great teacher. She really understands how to teach. She is very professional and is detailed. Best music teacher that I have had.
· Piano · Cory is a credit to her industry!
Cory is the most professional, reliable, and patient piano instructor my granddaughters have had. She is not only teaching them the piano, but is providing them with an understanding of music itself. We are very fortunate to have Cory share her vast knowledge of music. She is a fine teacher and a wonderful person.
· Piano · Great teacher
Cory is a great teacher! My son is not easy to teach but he loves going to his lessons and trying! He didn't really enjoy his previous teachers. Cory is creative with him when he seems stuck and I think that makes him feel valued as a student.
· Clarinet · Have seen steady improvement in my musicality already
It has been more than 40 years since I played clarinet in high school. I did take piano and voice in college and have kept up with my music in community choirs. Now that I am retired I added community band to my schedule. The band is fun, but challenging , and I needed to up my game. With Cory's help I have been able to make measured improvements and find band rehearsals, lessons, and practice both enjoyable and rewarding. From the very beginning Cory recognized my fundamental weakness, breath support, and we work on it in a variety of ways each lesson. I enjoy exploring clarinet literature and bring a large sample of styles to each lesson. She is up to the task of finding what needs to be refined whether it is tonality, rhythm, articulation, dynamics, or pitch. Cory's vast music knowledge from her experiences has been helpful for me and should be helpful for you as well.