Hello! Hola! Benvenuto! My name is Christopher S. and I am a classical guitarist, composer, polyglot, and experienced language and music teacher.
I am a recent graduate with a Masters of Music degree from the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, MA. There I studied with the world-renowned guitarist Eliot Fisk who is a direct student of the legendary guitarist Andres Segovia.
Currently I work part time teaching 12 students guitar at the University of South Carolina, in Columbia. I also I teach ukulele, Spanish, Italian, and English to a variety of students online. At the same time I am pursuing a Doctoral degree from the university to strengthen my skills as a guitarist and expand my knowledge as a teacher for higher education. I have also just completed my debut album titled, "Anima - The Music of Spain and Italy for the Guitar."
This album is a tribute and memorial to an amazing journey I had traveling and living in Europe for 3 years.
After I graduated from my undergraduate degree, I realized that in order to better my skills as a musician and become the guitar teacher I wanted to be I had to travel abroad. I moved to Seville, Spain where for three years I studied the art of classical and flamenco guitar.
I studied with a international known Spanish guitarist named Francisco Bernier at the Conservatory in Seville. During this time I was also teaching English as a second language to high school and middle school students. From traveling and spending so much time in Europe, I also developed and studied my love of languages and I became fluent in Spanish and Italian.
The experienced was an experience of a lifetime and I made many friends working and living abroad that to this day, I still keep in contact with.
If you are interested in having lessons with me, please contact me and we can begin learning the art of making beautiful music or learning the beautiful languages of the Mediterranean! "Hasta pronto!" "A presto!" and "Speak to you soon!"
I teach one section of a entry level guitar course for undergraduate students.
I teach lessons on guitar to young middle and high school aged students. I assign and plan weekly lessons to help them start to read music and learn how to play new songs on the guitar. There are monthly recitals which I attend and prepare the students for during the school year.
Taught English as a second languages to high school and middle school students in Seville, Spain.
Created and organized fun games in English to help them learn.
Was teaching to groups of 25 students at a time.
Taught privately and in small groups from beginners to advanced on guitar.
Facilitated and gave lessons on recording equipment.
Arranged meeting times with customers for lessons.
Taught music summer camps with groups of 8 students at a time on multiple instruments.
Gave lessons on guitar, bass, drums, and piano
Gave 10 - 12 private lessons daily. Organized the camps first ever classical guitar ensemble. Coached camper made bands in how to play as a group and make the music sound good. Coached kids from ages 10 - 18 with a variety of different musical level from beginners to advanced.
Golden Key is the world's largest collegiate honor society. Membership into the Society is by invitation only and applies to the top 15% of college and university sophomores, juniors and seniors, as well as top-performing graduate students in all fields of study, based solely on their academic achievements. As an international honor society with more than 400 chapters at colleges and universities around the world, Golden Key is committed to a high standard of scholastic achievement, and an ethos of integrity, innovation, respect, collaboration and diversity
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Ukulele · In studio Christopher helped me pick up the ukulele and get me from a beginner to an intermediate level and was learning how to pluck by the end of my 5 lessons!
· Ukulele · In studio Christopher was very friendly, organized and patient. He made playing the ukulele really easy to understand! Would highly recommend.
· Italian · Online Good explanations.friendly, good humor. Helpful with pronunciation
And mysterious Sentence structures
· Guitar · In studio Very good and patience, was worth it. Looking forward to the next one..
· Ukulele · In home Christopher led a group lesson for several seniors who had never played the ukulele. He was wonderful! Very patient and positive. Would definitely hire him again!
· Ukulele · In studio Strum stick rather than ukulele but it went well.
· Italian · Online Very helpful; lessons are very interactive and are fitted to your comfort.
· Guitar · In studio Patient and helpful.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Awesome guy to learn from. Very patient and willing to work with what you want to learn.
· Italian · Online I started to learn Italian with Chris in preparation for a vacation I was taking this year. I enjoyed my lessons so much that I have continued them after my trip. Chris is a great teacher and he makes learning the language so much fun. He uses a diverse set of teaching materials including stories and songs. His travels to Italy also help to provide great background on the language classes. He's so positive and patient and extremely flexible with lesson scheduling which is helpful since I work full time. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who is interested in learning Italian. The truest recommenation is that I was able to converse effectively while in Italy, thanks to Chris! Grazie mille.