- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I love teaching music to anyone who has an interest! Just about everyone likes some kind of music and I want to be able to help you make your own! Whether you like classical music or that really great song on the radio we will get you to where you can play it.
Music touches our lives every day. Music is there for us to help express our emotions feelings, fears and hopes. With what you learn in your lessons you will be able to make your own music, whether it be from the printed page or something that you have composed yourself. I will provide a teaching environment that will be encouraging and caring. We will work together to create great music from your very own fingers and who knows, maybe one day you will share your talent with the world!!!
My story started on the day my mom said “HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHER!! Today, for your 7th year birthday, you are going to start taking piano lessons!!” Well, I didn’t know what to think about that but I started piano lessons and I have been hooked ever since!
I studied piano for 6 years with a local teacher and then moved on to a teacher who could help me with more complex music. I was only able to study with her for a short time because we moved to a new town. There I found the greatest piano teacher ever. He helped me grow in my playing and performing.
After graduating from high school, I was accepted at Illinois Wesleyan University where I studied piano with Dr. Carol Thibodeaux. I also sang in the collegiate choir and had a great time in theory classes and music history.
I have had many other great experiences as a musician and teacher that include:
1. I have played and sung at many weddings, parties, and social events.
2. I continue to accompany band and orchestra students even though I am no longer teaching in schools.
3. I directed the Bell Singers choir from AT&T for about 10 years.
4. I was the music & youth director for the First United Methodist church in McKinney, TX were I lead the adult choir. I also create a children’s choir program which was a great success. I was also the substitute organist when needed.
I have been involved with music of all kinds over the last 40 years and am looking forward to carrying on for many more years to come!
*** Lesson Details ***
When you arrive for your lessons do not have a worry. I am friendly, kind and very patient. We will work at your speed, not mine. If you are a beginner we will start out with the Bastien series. If you are more advanced than beginner we will select lesson materials just right for you.
*** Studio Equipment ***
baby grand piano, white boards, etc. , in a room dedicated to music
*** Travel Equipment ***
I would provide the teaching aids, writing materials . The student would have to have a piano, bench, chair and lesson books.
*** Specialties ***
I believe young students like to learn with touching and doing. I've use materials from Bastien, Thompson, Aaron along with aids I create for students to get the best learning experience. With adult students, we discuss what the goal is for taking lessons and in what ways they learn best.
· Piano · In studio Cheryl- Is a fantastic teacher! She has been teaching my 8 year old piano for over 6 months now and I could not be more pleased. She is very good with kids. He is loving learning and she makes each lesson fun and keeps him motivated. I absolutely recommend her for lessons.
· Piano · In home This was my first experience with TakeLessons.com and I am completely disappointed with the experience. After many days of anticipation, my very excited daughter and I arrived at the appointed time and place for her first piano lesson which was scheduled for 6:00pm on a Monday at Cheryl's house.
We drove up to a residence with trash scattered over the front porch and a dog barking loudly from inside. After ringing the doorbell, a sleepy young man answered and stared at us as though we were annoying solicitors. I explained that my daughter was scheduled to have her first piano lesson with Cheryl and he simply told us that she was "not home right now".
Surprised by his response, I asked him what time he was expecting her to return. He said he didn't know and suggested that I call her. He went on to explain that he was her son and he could not invite us inside because "the house was a wreck".
Surprised and dissapointed, we left the house and immediately called Cheryl's phone number. She answered and explained that our lesson was scheduled for 8:00pm, not 6:00pm as indicated in the official email from TakeLessons.com. After apologizing many times, she went on to explain that she also no longer gives piano lessons in her home and offered to give my daughter a lesson at another location in 2 hours.
I politely declined her offer and told her I would be initiating a refund for my payment. I hugged my daughter who was clearly disappointed by the whole experience and promised her I would pay a premium fee for a more reputable piano instructor.
· Piano · In studio She is very patient. She is flexible with scheduling. She is always playing games with my children and making it fun. Recommend!
· Piano · In studio My daughter loves her! She enjoys her lessons and is progressing well. Recommend!
· Piano · In studio She's fun. You get a sence of her personality straight away. I came home and practiced and it was obvious her buoyancy wasn't there. A good choice for a teacher. She can make it funny but encouraging as you hack away at the keys. Her niche.
· Piano · In studio Cheryl is a great teacher. My sister really enjoys her lessons with her!
· Piano · In studio Cheryl is great with kids and she gets along well with my daughter! It makes things so much easier for me! Cheryl is an awesome teacher and I would highly recommend her!
· Piano · Learning piano at a good, steady pace
I thought a long time before I started piano again at the age of 67.
It has been over 40 years since I touched a keyboard. However,
Cheryl has made each lesson not only fun but she has been a very patient teacher. I recently extended my lesson time so I could benefit even more from her knowledge. I look forward to my weekly lessons and my practice time at home. I would recommend Cheryl to anyone no matter your age.
· · My daughter, Trinity, loves her piano lessons with Ms. Cheryl. She looks forward to them every week. I think this is because Ms. Cheryl makes learning music fun. She is a great encourager with a patient attitude. I would recommend her to anyone.