- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Males 6 to 30
I have worked for over 30 years as a professional
accompanist and musician in the greater metropolitan Detroit area. I have earned several degrees,
which include a Bachelor of Music Performance in Organ and a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts and
Music both from Wayne State University. My studies included wonderful instructors. I have studied
extensively with Albert Fillmore for ten years, Mischa Kottler for four years and Robert Conway for
five years. The last two instructors were from Wayne State and also played with the Detroit Symphony
Orchestra. I have studied organ with Ray Ferguson who played with DSO as well and I have studied
voice with Marjorie Gordon, coloratura soprano.
With over 30 years of experience as professional musician, I am confident that I possess the
qualifications needed to make a difference and an impact in the lives of people.
Most of my career tenure has been with the Detroit Public Schools. I have worked at various
levels in Pre-K – 12 schools but the longest has been twelve years at Cody High School. I have
enjoyed coaching the students and working with the music staff at the Cody Complex. These students
are very talented and eager to express their creativity and musical ability. I am a seasoned musician
with sight reading, transposing and improvisational skills. I used these skills to work with children
and young adults in small groups, larger groups and individual coaching in preparation for festivals
competitions and auditions.
I would like to continue providing this service to the young people within the Greater Metro
Detroit Area. Music is an important part of youth development in math and English. It also helps to
produce character and leaderships skills of discipline, teamwork, commitment and pride. I've also done the same for my private piano students, in studio as well as in a corporate setting.
*** Lesson Details ***
I am a diligent instructor that possesses intuitive goals, almost from the first few lessons! I am always encouraging, and give modest yet helpful criticism. I insist on teaching and developing the fundamentals in private study, ie, standard concepts and music theory. In three months time, the student will know whether we are a good fit, whether or not they like my instruction, and discover their unique abilities as a result of my facilitation!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect the student to have an acoustic piano, or a full-sized weighted keyboard, if not full-sized, then a keyboard consisting of 76 working keys!
*** Specialties ***
I am a classically trained musician. I am also a church musician. My other styles do include pop, jazz, oldies, gospel and contemporary christian music. I start with the basics before moving to any other styles of music.
I taught fours years at House of Music, five years at Art Center Music
school and taught a full semester of 5 piano classes averaging 10 students per class at Frank Cody High School. In those classes I held group sessions every week to evaluate their weekly progress. Before and after that time I've taught lessons dependently spanning over 30 years.
· Piano · In studio All I can say is wow , Cheryl is a fantastic teacher with a great deal of patience and very skillful at finding the best approach for each student .Just the 1st lesson and I'm eager to get home and begin practicing .
· Singing · In studio We are off to a great start!! Cheryl is a wonderful teacher!! Looking forward to our next vocal lessons!!
· Singing · In studio I looked forward to every lesson with cheryl knowing that she pushed for my growth in not only voice but music overall. In time when my schedule allows I will resume with such a comfortable environment she provided for learning I truly appreciate it and am grateful for her method on teaching. I didn't believe I would get better but Cheryl had me record myself and I heard the difference. Something I could have never pushed myself to do and I thank her for that experience which gave me a deeper drive to become better.
· Singing · In home Excellent teacher Highly recommended ;)
· Singing · In studio She was punctual, helpful, encouraging and very passionate. I will take another class once my schedule lighten up. I will recommend her to anyone looking for vocal instructor.
· Music Performance · In studio Cheryl came by our Church Music Ministry in Detroit, and demonstrated her great music skills, dexterity, singing excellence, and versatility on both Organ and Piano. Her many years of experience make her an outstanding choice for professional music training. Her congeniality warmed the hearts of our Choir members and others she encountered.
· Singing · In studio Cheryl is totally devoted to her students and to their improvement and achievement. And her virtuoso keyboard skills makes the lesson productive and fun. I give her my highest rating!