- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I earned my B.A. in piano, 1979, from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where I was steeped in Bach and Chopin. My Masters work at Emory University in Atlanta further deepened my knowledge of classical performance practice and music history. I have studied with jazz pianists Laura Caviani and Sean Turner of the McNally School of Music, both of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Today I am an active solo party pianist, and leader/arranger for my own five-piece r&b band, Wild Honey. I have received statewide air-play performing Bach on Minnesota Public Radio. At the other end of the spectrum, my band Wild Honey has been featured on KBEM Jazz 88 FM’s program, “Jazz and the Spirit,” as well as KARE-11 Television’s morning program, “Minnesota Showcase." I serve as an exam judge for the Minnesota Music Teachers Association, and helped write its ground-breaking Popular Styles Exam Syllabus. I am a 2012 recipient of the Maureen Conway Award for Inspiring Teaching.
Schmitt Music, Minneapolis, MN, 2006-2010.
Decatur School of Music, Atlanta, GA, 1994-1997.
The Music Place, Atlanta, GA 1990-1991. Also group keyboard instructor.
Educational programs featuring solo performance of ragtime, stride, blues, and boogie-woogie.
Jazz, r&b, and gospel five-piece. Featured on KARE-11 television’s “Minnesota Showcase” and KBEM Jazz 88’s “Jazz and the Spirit” programs.
Jazz, pop, classical styles.
Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, East Bethel, MN, organist and leader of rock band, 2013-2015.
Richfield United Methodist Church, Minneapolis, MN, alternative worship band, 2006-2009.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, New Brighton, MN, 1997-2005. Organist and director of contemporary combos for 10,000-member church. Major gospel concert featuring singer Gwen Matthews.
Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN, contemporary worship leader, 2005-2009.
Licensed Instructor for preschool group music.
MMTA Popular Styles Syllabus Committee, helping write a ground-breaking exam curriculum; chair 2011-2013. Exam judge for comprehensive classical exams, popular styles, and contests.
The Minnesota Music Teachers Association, founded in 1901, is a professional non-profit educational organization and is affiliated with the Music Teachers National Association, founded in 1876. Our mission is to advance the profession of music teaching through education, certification, networking, and advocacy.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio I started my piano playing experience as a high school student knowing absolutely nothing about music. I really enjoyed piano lessons with Cheri because she is a great instructor. She is kind, patient, and understanding. I always looked forward to lessons every week knowing I would have a great time. From individual music lessons to playing for an audience, it was always fun and exciting. I highly recommend music lessons with Cheri!
· Piano · In studio Cheri was a breath of fresh air every lesson. For an adult beginner I was nervous starting but Cheri welcomes you in and breaks down the basics in a fun non-judgmental environment.
· Piano · In studio I have an awesome time taking lessons from Cheri. From the beginning when I was learning lessons from different books to currently learning pieces by ear, from playing solo pieces to being part of a band, she has always been patient and fun and very knowledgeable. Being an adult student is an interesting and challenging experience and Cheri has been very supportive every step of the way. She even helped me write a song that included guitar and vocals that we performed with some fellow students at a recent recital. I've appreciated all the time she's worked with me and hope to continue taking lessons from her as long as I enjoy playing the piano.
· Piano · In studio My daughters and I have been taking lessons with Cheri for almost 5 years now and are absolutely amazed at both the breadth and the depth of her ability. The things she has taught us have ranged from standard classical fare to jazz, improvisation skills (in a variety of musical styles), theory and ear training and lead sheet reading. We have participated in the MMTA contests and both my daughters have received "high distinction" as their result. What I have loved most is that she is so willing to work with each student on their own musical priorities. My 14 year old daughter was asked to be on the Congregational Worship team at church as the piano player. Cheri spent lots of time each lesson working on the specific songs that my daughter needed and helped her get the confidence she needed to play introductions, accompany soloists, match rhythms, and vary the style from verse to verse to make it musically interesting. My younger daughter loved the fact that Cheri also taught guitar skills and spent a year transferring her piano skills to a different instrument. And I have loved the fact that she is gentle with the adult piano learner and has a flexible lesson schedule that will accommodate my busy schedule!
I wholeheartedly recommend Cheri to anyone who is looking for a piano teacher!