Charles, a self described spiritual vocal artist whose repertoire offers songs of faith, healing, hope, love, peace, harmony, and enlightenment. He has a flair for infusing familiar and beloved inspirational and spiritual songs with a fresh, smooth, and distinctive sensibility entirely his own. His self-confidence is projected with warmth, charm, and genuine love for his music.
He captures the essence and spirit of those classic singers that have gone before him and established a tradition of great singing¦.Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, and Harry Belafonte, as well as the more contemporary sounds of Peabo Bryson, Wintley Phipps, Luther Vandross, Jeffrey Osborne.
He is in his element singing as a soloist for spiritual ceremonies, concerts, conferences, services and related events. His musical accomplishments extend to include performances at the Carlyle Hotel in New York City, The Jazz and Blues Company in Carmel, California, Houston Grand Opera, Opera Omaha, and the Houston Symphony as well as roles in musical theater with "Showboat" and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". Most recently, he performed for former first lady, Laura Bush and Peter Buffett, son of investment mogul, Warren Buffett.
As a singing teacher, Charles has taught voice both privately and within the public school sector for over 18 years. He received his Bachelor's Degree from the University of Houston System and has studied extensively with operatic tenor, Joseph Frank and well known Houston vocal coach, Tom Mckinney. He has also taken masterclasses with world renowned teachers including Hollywood vocal coach, Seth Riggs.
Charles has served as a preliminary vocal judge for the popular "Gimme the Mike" singing talent TV show on NBC Houston, 97.9 The Box "Hatta's Idol", coached 2 American Idol Finalists, one Xfactor top 10 contestant season 1, and 2 semifinalists for the "Voice". He also served as a vocal coach for Beyonce's Music World Entertainment's Project Popstar, under the direction of Matthew Knowles.
As a life coach, I provide personal coaching for singers and musicians. This process involves helping a singer to first and foremost identify and understand why he/she sings, and what is the message they want to deliver when they walk on stage. In other words, what do they have to say?? From this viewpoint, they can create educational and professional goals based on their highest truth and life purpose. and address any issues that might be blocking them from achieving those goals. One of the major challenges that singers face are making career and life choices that will balance with their artistic or musical goals. In addition, it is very important to know your true gifts, passions, motivations and intentions. Moreover, having a realistic view and understanding of the recording business vs. the music playing business is essential to your overall business plan and success. You must also find the time and energy to pursue your art while making a stable and rewarding living. Lastly, if you are a creative type who is struggling with two common life dilemmas: the "starving artist" who is tired of panicking every time the rent is due, and the " well paid professional" desiring the time to devote to his or her art, then life coaching is for you
*** Lesson Details ***
I teach a vocal technique which is called singing on the speaking level, or "Singing with the ease of Speech". It provides the student with a systematic approach to link together all the registers of the voice-chest and head. The student and I work together to build a bridge between the low voice and high voice, (through the break) combining those parts in the middle creating "the mix" ( a blend of chest and head voice), that most singers struggle to master and the vast majority of teachers don't know how to teach or identify. This allows the singer to access all of his or her range without strain. A student would begin to experience positive results within a few weeks of study, both in the studio and with practice between lessons.
One of the best things about this technique is that it allows you to sing any style of music. Whether you sing Pop/R&B, Rock, country, musical theater, gospel, or opera, you can experience vocal freedom and confidence that every singer wants to have. As a singer, I have had much success with this method, and as a vocal coach, I have found that this technique meets the needs of any kind of vocalist and/or style.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Superscope Recording System, Microphones, keyboard, large CD collection
*** Travel Equipment ***
*** Specialties ***
marked as a Student Favorite have taught a minimum of 25 lessons and
have received the highest feedback rating from students.
I specialize in teaching the "Sing with the Ease of Speech" vocal technique which provides the students with a systematic approach to link together all registers of the voice-chest and head. Therefore, the students and I work together to build a bridge between the low and high voice, (through the break) combining those parts in the middle creating "the mix" that most singers struggle to master. This allows the singer to access all of his or her range without strain. The method can be applied to Pop/R&B, musical theater, opera, gospel, and any other contemporary singing style.
In addition, I provide life coaching for singers and musicians. This process involves helping you to identify your overall life goals and what might be blocking you from achieving those goals. Some of the major issues that singers face is making career and life choices that will balance with their artistic or musical goals, understanding their true motivations and intentions, having a realistic view and understanding of the recording business vs. the music playing business, and finding the time and energy to pursue your art while making a stable and rewarding living.
Area of concentration: vocal music and communication studies
· Singing · In studio I began my singing career 10 years ago and deliberated at length as to whether or not I needed or would benefit from vocal lessons seeing as I already knew how to sing (or so I thought). After my first lesson with Charles, however, my mind was opened to a variety of extremely useful techniques and methods that have drastically improved my singing abilities and overall performance. Whether you're a seasoned professional or are just getting started, I highly recommend taking lessons with Charles. His upbeat, encouraging attitude made me feel very comfortable and capable and I look forward to my lessons each week. Charles is a 5-star teacher, musician, and singer hands down.
· Singing · In studio Made me feel very comfortable and helped me a ton in just one lesson! He genuinely cares about his students and not just money and you can tell for sure once you've met with him. Would recommend him to anyone! Definitely worth the money.
· Singing · In studio Charles has incredible enthusiasm and knowledge. Really connecting and making a big difference in a short time!
· Singing · In studio Awesome teacher. Explains everything thoroughly and in a way that is easy to understand. I was skeptical of people saying they could feel a difference after the first session, but I truly did feel a difference going through the exercises. Highly recommended.
· Singing · In studio Really and truly the best! I took lessons from Charles for about a year. He "unlocked" my voice in a way that no other teacher had be able to. I now have a 3 1/2 octave range and can literally sing whatever I want without my voice ever tiring. And he's just a great guy!
· Singing · In studio Charles was knowledgeable and made me feel really comfortable. After just the first lesson I noticed improvement in my singing technique. I'm really looking forward to the next lessons!
· Singing · In studio First lesson with Charles was fantastic. Great motivational voice coach who truly knows his stuff and able to customize the lesson to be fun, positive, and tailored to the student's needs. Looking forward to the next lessons.
· Singing · In studio Awesome.
· Music Performance · In studio Charles helped me push past my nervousness and seems to be a pro. I am confident he will teach me great things about my voice. Really enjoyed my first session. Looking forward to the rest.
· Singing · In studio Very good teacher! Very professional! I would recommend anybody to learn singing lessons from him!