- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am an experienced voice and piano teacher with 25 + years of teaching experience.
I am passionate about teaching, and my experience includes teaching voice and piano to elementary through college students, in academic settings and in my home. I love working with people of all ages.
As a soprano, I have sung professionally with many choral ensembles, and have performed as soloist in recitals and concerts throughout the US. I have appeared in musical theater and opera productions in leading roles. I have also been a college choir director and voice teacher.
In addition, I have performed as piano soloist in various settings, and piano accompanist for choirs, singers and instrumentalists in church, contest and concerts.
Recently, I earned my Doctorate in Music from Arizona State University.
My studio is where I share my expertise and passion for music with private voice and piano students. My approach is that music should be fun and satisfying. I want students to have the enjoyment of accomplishing great things, and build on their natural abilities and love of music. I look forward to meeting you, and seeing where your musical talents can take you!
*** Lesson Details ***
Each voice lesson begins with a warm up: movement:, stretches, breathing, and relaxation while focusing on good posture. Following that we continue warming up the voice with appropriate vocal exercises. If desired, we can spend time sight singing (reading music). Then we will turn to your chosen piece(s) of music. You could bring in a song or aria of your interest, or I could suggest pieces that I feel suit your voice. Some areas that I like to focus on in are relaxation, posture, breathing, support, use of registers, placement, growing your voice in size and range, intonation (pitch), tone color, clarity and consistency. My ultimate goal is to help students sing with musicality and expressiveness.
For piano, we may begin by working on things like hand position, posture, relaxation of the body and then exercises, including scales and chords. We may also incorporate music theory.
After a warm-up, we will focus on chosen music. I like to use music literature that is appropriate to the student's level, which gives enjoyment, and also increases breadth of knowledge and expertise. For beginning students, there are many good series available that I like to use, such as Bastian or Alfred.
Its very important that students feel comfortable in their lessons. I am sensitive, flexible and open to individual likes and dislikes, and any thoughts or concerns you have. These are your lessons and I am committed to helping you get the most out of them!
*** Studio Equipment ***
lessons in large living room with upright piano, mirrors; space for parents to sit/wait; repertoire
*** Specialties ***
Opera, classical, musical theater
Soloist and Soprano Section Leader
Taught Choir and Conducting Classes
Taught private Voice, Piano, and other music classes
Taught private Voice lessons
Taught Private Voice and Coached Musical Theater Productions
Taught Vocal Music to kids Kindergarten through 8th grade.
Certified music teacher for Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
Founded in 1959, the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) is a nonprofit music-education organization whose expressed purposes outline the associations dedication to the advancement of choral music. The mission of ACDA is to inspire excellence in choral music through education, performance, composition, and advocacy.
· Piano · In studio `
· Singing · In studio Carolyn is excellent teacher .
My son is learning a lot in voice training and piano.
He looks forward always for that class...
· Singing · In home Wonderful experience, she is a fantastic professional teacher
· Piano · In home she is a great teacher.
· Singing · In studio She was very encouraging and helpful. She taught me how to make my voice stronger and gave me constructive criticisms as needed. She was very nice and always had a smile. She was very patient with me, and I would not hesitate to go back to her if I decide to take more lessons.
· Singing · In home She is everything I was looking for and more! In just an hour, my voice tonality had shifted to a deeper, richer, fuller sound. I was given some exercises to practice in the interim before our next lesson. I'm elated!
· Singing · In home She was very encouraging. I felt very comfortable with her. I felt like she was being honest with me when I felt like I wad doing something wrong.
· Singing · In home First lesson went wonderfully. Carolyn is obviously a talented singer, musician and teacher. I'm extending future lessons to 1 h as 45mins is just not enough time.
· Singing · In studio Looking forward to the next lesson!
· Singing · In studio Great first lesson!