- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Coming from a large extended family in Hawaii, I was surrounded by luau music, kachi-kachi dancing, Japanese bon dances, handsome local guys singing and playing their guitars and my aunties strumming their ukes and singing old songs. I reveled in walking alone in Nature or playing piano and singing in empty, stain-glassed churches â just wailing in the dark and colored light!
I studied: classical piano, organ, oboe, clarinet, violin, voice, and guitar. I sang in jazz trios and pop bands, earned income as a church organist/choir accompanist, and spent 15 years teaching private piano lessons to students of all ages.
I studied drawing and painting, I drew trees, animals, the ocean, sky and mountains, still life, and the people around me.
Upon arriving in New York City, I entered into a journey of playing at a Washington Heights gospel church, living in a building filled with musicians, accompanying vocal master classes, studying Sanskrit, Indian raga, world percussion, creative arts therapy and performance wellness.
I now compose and sing my songs - interweaving voice with keyboard or guitar. Besides teaching privately, I can be found performing my songs in clubs, outdoor festivals, coffee houses, and poetry/healing events. I currently attended a certificate program in sound & music healing and the focus of my music rests here. I incorporate many techniques to aid students in relaxation, breath awareness, and de-stressing.
Using traditional teaching methods, I create meaningful experiences for students by:
- being patient, flexible and creative in approach
- using visual, aural, and tactile teaching tools
*** Lesson Details ***
After 3 to 6 Months OF Lessons, you can use the important music fundamentals you've learned to create music you love.
After about a year, you are invited to share your music with others in an intimate family recital or a performance for charity in service to your community!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Upright piano, piano synthesizer, guitar, percussion instruments
*** Travel Equipment ***
Carolyn carries her own guitar, teaching aids, manuscript paper, pen/pencils, and handouts.
Recommended for students:
KEYBOARD - ideally, have your own keyboard/piano, piano books, staff paper
ACOUSTIC UKULELE/GUITAR - your own guitar, capo, tuner, staff & TAB paper (you can wait for teacher to help you choose)
VOICE - have sheet music, lyrics or charts of your songs
SONGWRITING - have manuscript paper, recording device and journal/tablets to record their ideas
ALL STUDENTS - small tablet for notes & keeping track of assignments and a recording device to hear your playing/singing/compositions (optional)
*** Specialties ***
Performing Singer-Songwriter specializing in improvisation and Sound & Music Healing.
· Ukulele · In home Very nice and welcoming, I learned a lot a few sessions and enjoyed them.
· Ukulele · In studio One day, I decided to learn ukulele by myself but I became quickly stuck. I found Carolyn on this website and then went to her place to take my first lesson. Carolyn is super sweet; very welcoming, smiling, fun to work with. She is very positive and gives great feedbacks all the time! I learnt a lot during our session!! At some point, we sat at her piano to talk about notes and keys: it was very interesting to switch to another instrument. In addition, her place has very harmonious vibes: when I left I felt so much better!!! I definitely recommend Carolyn for music lessons! And I look forward to our next ukulele lesson!
· · Carolyn turned out to be the perfect piano instructor for my teenage niece who is a slow learner. Carolyn is enthusiastic, supportive, patient, and fun. My niece especially loves getting to sing together with Carolyn as an added bonus!
· · mom
My 11 year old absolutely adores Carolyn--she can't wait for her weekly singing lessons!
· · Inspired Student
I would like to thank you patience and love for the piano. These qualities are what help me learn and appreciate the piano. Thank you!
· · Grandfather
I am so happy to have you been my granddaughter teacher I am confident en your knowledge and I hope you kip up for ever