- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a pianist and theorist who is enthusiastic about helping you learn more about music! I have a Bachelors of Music Performance from Appalachian State University and a Masters of Music Theory from Bowling Green State University. Music is one of my passions, a passion I would love to share with you!
I have experience with classical, classic, jazz, and Broadway music, among other genres. My performance and scholarly studies were primarily classical, but not limited to classical music.
Whether you pursue performance, scholarship, a greater appreciation of music, or simply a fun experience, I will help you reach your goals! None of these is exclusive, as all of them should be fun!
*** Lesson Details ***
I prefer to teach in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere where the student can ask questions and offer opinions without fear. I am a patient and encouraging teacher, though I do expect students to prepare for lessons and improve over time. Lessons and curricula are tailored to the individual, depending on the student's goals. Should those goals change over the course of his/her study, the curriculum and lesson format will reflect that change. I believe in a well-rounded education, incorporating not only memorization or sight-reading (for example), but the underlying theories and relevant historical information. Most importantly, I will endeavor to make lessons enjoyable as well as educational for all involved!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide sight-reading/singing materials, handouts, and copies of music. I expect the student to provide his/her own instrument, textbook, and staff paper.
*** Specialties ***
Music Theory/Aural Skills: tonal through post-tonal theory, including counterpoint, part-writing, Roman numeral analysis, set theory; tonal and atonal sight singing (with solfege, numbers, and European letter names), rhythmic and melodic dictation, chord series
Piano: primarily tonal music (Baroque through Romantic), sight-reading, show tunes, popular songs
· Piano · In home Carolyn was a very sweet and patient teacher! While I did decide that piano may not be the instrument for me I enjoyed my lessons with her so much. I will certainly take lessons with her again if I decide to resume in the future.
· Piano · In home Carolyn is a wonderful, talented, very patient and sweet teacher. She started teaching my son when he was 4 years old and we could not be more pleased. She respects the learning level of the student. Classes are a pleasant experience - our son is always thrilled to see her! She is always on time, always easy to talk to. The recitals she puts together became very special for our family - just lovely. We love having her at our home!
· Piano · In home Very nice and friendly. My daughter enjoyed the lesson and seems very excited to practice and get ready for next week!
· Piano · In home It was a very nice first lesson.
· Piano · In home Excellent piano teacher!! Very patient, kind, reliable and communicates very well with my 10 yo son. She is so enthusiastic and has really gotten my son interested in music, despite that he is very shy. I have been impressed with how quickly my son has learned to play the piano in just a few months. We have been so thrilled with Carolyn that our other two children are to start lessons this month!!
· Piano · Carolyn B. is an excellent piano teacher
Carolyn B. has been teaching my 6yr old daughter for a year. Carolyn has a very engaging style of teaching that works extremely well for kids. She has a tested ability to skillfully refocus kid's attention by injecting fun into the lesson and reassuring the kid that "they can". She's extremely patient, is always pleasant is good at easing a child into stepping up their ability and confidence. From the start, I signed up my daughter for 1-hour lessons, unsure if she will focus. I'm amazed at how Carolyn keeps her engegaed through the hour. My daughter's skills and interest in piano continues to grow. I strongly recommend Carolyn B. to teach piano.
· Piano · Great!
Carolyn has been teaching my 9 year old for just over 2 months and he has learnt immensely. She is very patient, friendly, soft spoken and my son loves her! He is a very shy kind and doesn't adjust to newer people so quickly but she is just phenomenal!
· · Mari
Elise showes off what she has learned, and purchases books that have music in them to learn. From what I see, Elise is happy under your teaching and I am happy too.
· · Great Piano Instructor!
Carolyn has been a great piano instructor for my 10 year old. She is very patient and my daughter feels so confident when working with her. My daughter has learned so much!