- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Caleb moved from his hometown of Wichita, Kansas, to Chicago in 2008 to attend DePaul University, where he received his Bachelor’s in Trumpet Performance studying under Matt Lee and Tage Larsen. Since then, Caleb has picked up a variety of regular gigs across a wide spectrum of styles, genres, and types of events.
Caleb performs in Chicago with soul-pop band The Right Now, the progressive Pocket Radio, the soulful Bassel and the Supernaturals, the genre-defying Willy Dynomite, the Latin-grooved Contrabanda, and funk outfit Nasty Snacks. He has played in horn sections for Latin, funk, and big-band jazz bands, as well as Afrobeat, indie rock, R&B/soul, and hip-hop/rap groups.
He has also played the national anthem for the president at opening night of the Chicago Bulls season, been featured at Chicago Blackhawks games, principal trumpet in symphony orchestras, pit orchestras and in the DePaul Screamin’ Demons Pep Band at Madison Square Garden. Caleb also regularly lends his solo talents to wedding parties and church services, and is one-fourth of the Chicago for-hire horn section Revolution Horns. Other musical endeavors include a performance on the Steve Harvey Show, playing trumpet for the Broadway musical I Love Lucy in downtown Chicago, and a coveted chance to perform in master classes for his idols Adolph “Bud” Herseth and Chris Martin.
Caleb has been teaching privately in the Chicago area for 5 years now and is eager to teach students with any amount of experience, especially those who are eager to approach music from a variety of perspectives.
I believe that the best way to teach a brass instrument at any level, is simply to check in and make sure that the student has a great understanding of what a beautiful sound is on their instrument. This is done in a patient and positive environment, filled with the best possible music making to serve as a model to aspire to. With small, attainable goals and encouragement to practive at least a small amount on a daily basis, you cannot help of improve, and hopefully have a good time playing whatever music interests you while doing so. The journey is a bit different for everyone, but anyone can make a beautiful sound, and go from there!
I like to strike a balance of teaching out of various method books(depending on the student and their level of ability, some are more suitable than others of course and I help guide the way), and learning to play by ear, which can be almost anything the student wants to learn, provided it's not overly complicated for them. Technique has it's place, but is certainly not the whole story. Learning music that is fun, while at the same time learning to get better at your instrument, makes the overall process enjoyable and rewarding. Once you have the right tools, music is something that can be fulfilling for the rest of your life, especially when you learn to do it in a fun and healthy way.
I teach Trumpet and Piano Lessons in the Chicago area!
My uniquely hip and dynamic wedding band.
Funk Band Nasty Snacks, Pop-Soul group The Right Now, Latin band Contrabanda, Afro-beat group The Opposition Party, Soul Group Bassel and the Supernaturals, Hip-Hop influenced brass band J-Livi and the Party.
The Chicago Federation of Musicians is an organization of almost three thousand professional musicians. For more than 100 years, the CFM has been working to achieve dignity and just wages for our art. Our members perform in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Lyric Opera Orchestra, The Redwalls, the orchestras for Chicago’s Broadway shows. We represent musicians performing all styles of music: alternative rock, soul, classical, jazz, rock, country, pop, reggae, Christian rock, and others. Our members are active in recording commercials, television and radio programs and CD's, and perform for private and corporate parties locally and throughout North America.
· Trumpet · Caleb is patient, creative, and understanding. My 13 year old son takes lessons from him and says that he is empathetic and easygoing, but still provides structure and clear instructions. Highly recommended!
· Trumpet · Online Caleb was very friendly, obviously knowledgeable and right on time! Looking forward to many more lessons with him
· Trumpet · Online Caleb has been my son’s trumpet instructor for almost a year now. He has a keen ability to get across everything needed for a highly effective online lesson. I cannot tell you what a HUGE convenience it's been for us to have these expert lessons in the comfort and convenience of our home. I would have to drive 45 minutes over a mountain pass to get to the nearest qualified instructor. In the middle of snowstorms, and even with my son in p.j.'s, we can have our lesson right here at home. In an ordinary lesson environment a parent usually is expected to leave the room. With Caleb, I can be nearby while my son receives his lesson. This is helpful for me to reinforce points that Caleb made during his lesson with my son when he is practicing during the week. Currently he's working with my son on his honor jazz band audition, as well as a classical oratorio piece that he'll be playing on tour in Europe with our local community orchestra. Caleb is qualified to teach any style of music. He’s super friendly but never loses his honesty with the student. We often have special requests for each lesson and Caleb is able to tailor each lesson to work on the new pieces and still fit in valuable instruction with scales and solid technique. Not only is Caleb a great teacher, but he is on many professional recordings, and is a regularly-working professional musician in Chicago. My son is very lucky to have him as an instructor. We're very impressed with Caleb and know you will be too!
· Piano · In home really great re-introduction to understanding the keyboard - not just memorizing the keys
· Piano · In studio I have been taking lessons with Caleb for a few months now, starting as an adult beginner. Caleb works to help me see the big picture in order to facilitate a more comprehensive understanding rather than just teaching me to memorize. I have found his teaching style very effective, and am looking forward to growing with his continued instruction and guidance. I should also note that he's a real nice guy.
· Trumpet · In home Caleb has been teaching my son trumpet for the past 4 years. He is a very talented teacher who is musically gifted, as well as patient and kind.
Loving music and playing trumpet has enriched my son's life, both socially and emotionally. He is currently first chair in his middle school band and plans to pursue band in high school. His pleasure in playing with his peers and his pride in his accomplishments are wonderful to see. Last year, he played "New York, New York" as part of a three piece band at a school event and in March 2017, he will play the entire score of the Lion King with the pit orchestra for the 8th grade play.
But the best part as a parent is seeing that he often walks around the house humming a random tune under his breath, even when he isn't aware of it. It makes me smile to see him be so happy!
Thank you, Caleb!
· Piano · In studio I had a great experience taking piano lessons with Caleb and would highly recommend him to any friend who was looking to take trumpet or piano lessons. He made sure to teach the theory behind the music, as well as the technique of playing it, and encouraged me to feel free to choose the direction, pace, and focus of the lessons.
· Trumpet · Online Caleb is the best trumpet instructor I have ever had! He is thorough, explains his methods and why he is teaching what he is teaching, helps his students develop good practices that will be extremely beneficial down the line, and is flexible with how to structure a lesson depending on what you want out of it. On top of all that, he is amiable, interesting, and professional. I feel very good taking trumpet lessons from a professional trumpet player; especially this one.
· Trumpet · Online My daughter very much enjoyed her first lesson with Caleb, and is very much looking forward to more! He is knowledgeable and easy to work with.
· Trumpet · Online Good start to lessons. Look forward to learning more.