- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Music and music teaching is my first love and passion in life. (Feel free to check out my video and music!) To be able to study and play the guitar for the last 11 years has been an immense blessing! I am a guitar teacher with a degree in music from Biola University, La Mirada. I have been teaching lessons privately almost 9 years now. I am trained in various styles of guitar music including classical, jazz, pop, rock, blues, and finger-style on both acoustic and electric guitars. My musical journey began in the 6th grade when my parents purchased a nylon string classical guitar for me. Throughout my high school and college years I participated in contemporary rock ensembles for corporate worship at my church and other churches. This included leading and singing as well. While enrolled at the Biola Conservatory of Music I played in the classical guitar ensemble for 5 semesters. My experience includes playing in jazz ensembles, doing solo guitar music at weddings and art galleries, playing in classical guitar quartets, and active composition and recording of my original work on the guitar. You can expect all of this experience and knowledge to come together in a musically fascinating and motivating way that will fill your life with the joys of being able to express yourself musically if you are willing to give the time and effort to do so. Also...Check out my video and music!
*** Lesson Details ***
My number one goal is to cultivate your desire and passion for musical expression by providing a friendly and inspiring environment in which to experience the joy and beauty of music! You can learn the songs you have always wanted to play and even learn to write your own music! My overall teaching philosophy includes three basic areas of knowledge which work together to form a well educated guitarist. The first area is technical knowledge. The student will be taught to physically utilize the instrument in an efficient and effective way in order to maximize learning progress and musical potential. The second area is in theoretical knowledge which includes reading both music notation and tablature (tablature is an alternative form of written guitar music that is very easy to read). This also includes understanding music theory as it applies to the guitar, and full knowledge of the musical possibilities on the guitar. The third area, my favorite area, is Practical knowledge which includes learning songs by other artists to expand the student's understanding of how other musicians use the instrument (the students choose these songs based on what they like). You will also expand your practical knowledge by directly applying the theoretical knowledge that you have learned. This is done by composing your own music in a creative and original way. I am also a vocalist and am able to coach my students the basics of the voice and how to use the voice and guitar at the same time. As a teacher I strive for excellence in my students by teaching them all that they need to be a well educated guitarist. I will actively and joyfully peruse your interests by tailoring the curriculum to focus on the music that the you love and have a passion for.
I provide my own music curriculum that has been honed over time through my experience as a private teacher. The books that I use will generally differ according to your desires and interests but there are two books that I use for beginners:
1. Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method Grade 1 (this is for beginners in music reading).
2. Solo Guitar Playing Volume 1 (this is for beginners in music reading who are interested in classical training).
After 3 to 6 months of study with me, you will have been taught to read musical notation, have a basic knowledge of chords, and have most of the 5 major scale shapes memorized. You will have learned to pick and strum confidently. Most importantly, you will have learned 3 or 4 songs of your choosing so that you can see the fruit of your musical work and experience the joy of musical expression. (for these results students must be willing to practice for the necessary amount of time: 20-30 minutes a day)
*** Studio Equipment ***
Comfortable quiet room. Recording equipment. Internet musical resources. Guitars, Guitar effects, amps, and hardware. I provide my personally developed teaching material to you. I expect you, as a student, to bring a guitar, picks and a tuner.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide my personally developed teaching material to you. I bring cables and equipment to adapt my guitar to an amp you may have. I also bring maintenance equipment in case I need to work on my guitar or yours. I expect you, as a student, to have a guitar, picks and a tuner. If you are taking electric guitar it is ideal that you have an amp. I also expect you to buy the necessary books. I bring my computer in order to have an internet source and an audio source. I have provided guitars and strings (if one broke during the lesson) in the past to students who are lacking them.
*** Specialties ***
Various Electric Guitar Styles such as Rock, Blues and Jazz harmony; I teach Classical and Acoustic Guitar, Music Theory, Improvisation, Music composition and Finger style.
Various Music studios
· Guitar · In home Fantabulous
· Guitar · Online
· Guitar · In home Great Lesson
· Guitar · In home I had such a good first lesson with Byron
He was prepared, concise and very good with his instruction.
I really can't wait for my next lesson.
· Ukulele · In home Listened to what I wants to accomplish and accommodated.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Started on time, techniques set, had students full attention and focus, very personable/ great with kid(s). Great start.
· Classical Guitar · In home We had the first lesson today and it was great! Looking forward to seeing all the kids learn.
· Guitar · In home Byron is awesome! He's great with my girls and very professional and timely.
· Guitar · In home Byron is an amazing teacher. He started with my son when he was 8 and he is now 10 and doing very well. He really knows how to keep kids interested and I would highly recommend him to other students.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Byron is a great guitar teacher. He has an obvious deep musical background. He can create tabs by ear and tailor to the level of the student. Keeps it interesting by using music that the student likes. Very happy with him as a teacher.