Bill is multi-instrumentalist, jazz musician, composer, arranger and educator. He developed a strong connection to music early in life through some family tradition, encouraging parents and many inspiring and influential teachers. He has gone on to perform alongside a number of noteworthy artists and ensembles and has toured extensively overseas and throughout North America.
His love for music came to life though performances with several ensembles in public school, regional big bands and his own jazz saxophone quartet. He is a graduate of the Purchase College Conservatory of Music's Jazz Studies program and has recently become a graduate of New Jersey City University's M.M. Multiple Woodwind Performance program.
Following two years performing abroad on cruise ships and the national tour of Young Frankenstein: The Musical, he was drawn back to New York City. Performing regularly on piccolo, flute, alto flute, clarinet, bass clarinet and all saxophones, he is proving to be valued asset in the NYC music scene.
Bill performs regularly with his group, Bill Todd and the Sixth Generation, while also working as a Broadway pit musician, a sideman and a private music teacher.
*** Lesson Details ***
Every student is unique, therefore, lessons are designed to fit the student individually. My teaching style is molded to satisfy each students wants and needs. I also like to focus on developing proper playing habits. I see it as my job to help my students understand and develop the proper techniques to eliminate bad habits in order for them to be the best they can be on their instrument. Lessons are about having fun making music, learning, and improving.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Chairs, music stands and keyboard for harmonic discussions.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect the student to bring their own music notebook and their own instrument. They may also need to purchase their own lesson books when the time comes.
*** Specialties ***
I can help my students learn how to play in a variety of styles ranging from classical (solos, chamber music, etudes, etc.) to jazz (improvisation, harmony, etc.). Whether they're working on a song to play at school, a NYSSMA or All County solo, or just learning for fun, I will help them play to the best of their ability.
Edit and prepare scores and parts for printing and publication. Score range from original works composed for chamber groups, wind ensemble, full orchestra and big band.
Playing saxophone, flute and clarinet on the Broadway production of this show in NYC.
Performing the Reed 1 book on the Broadway production of this show in NYC.
Performing in the production of Big Fish on piccolo, flute, alto flute, clarinet, and alto saxophone.
Performing the Reed 2 book at the Papermill Playhouse in NJ for this production.
Paying flute, clarinet and saxophone in this production at the Sandbox Theater in Mamaroneck, NY.
Playing alto saxophone and clarinet in this fabulous production that tells the story of Cafe Society, a historic club the was a pivotal launching and point and home for many musicians such as Count Basie, Lena Horne, and Billie Holiday.
Playing tenor and baritone saxophones in this musically exciting production in Jersey City, NJ.
Playing tenor saxophone, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute and sopranino recorder in Michael John LaChiusa's musical "Little Fish".
Playing woodwinds in Bob Marley's musical for children entitled "Three Little Birds" at the New Victory Theater at 47th and Broadway in NYC.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Piano · In studio My 5 years old son, enjoyed and looked forward each week for his piano sessions with Bill. Bill was very patient, knowledgeable, and understanding. While waiting during Kevin's sessions, my daughter and I began to learn as well as enjoy the piano.
I strongly recommend Bill to anyone, and commend him for sharing his skills. Keep up the exceptional work Bill.
· Saxophone · In studio Really just great, I started playing with Bill about three months ago and it couldn't be going any better. His patience, demeanor and amazing skill must be commended and everyone should sign up immediately you definitely won't regret it I promise.
· Saxophone · In home First lesson was great!! Hadley was anxious, but Bill provided lots of encouragement and great instruction. I'm a musician, so I could tell what a terrific job he did.
· Flute · In studio Bill knows his content! He is quick to give feedback, and utilizes a variety of different tactics to make sure you are on the right track. I would definitely recommend Bill for future students.
· Piano · In studio Bill was perfect with my daughter. He was kind and patient. He didn't pressure her but still made sure she stayed focused. I would definitely recommend him to anyone
· Clarinet · In home Bill helped me get back on track with the clarinet when I returned to playing as an adult, years after I'd played as a kid. He met where I was and helped me get to where I wanted to go--playing jazz. Besides being a good and patient teacher, he had a lot of innovative ideas for music selection, accompaniment options, and practice techniques. I recommend him to students of any age.
· Piano · In studio Bill's great. Very knowledgeable and very patient. Highly recommended.
· Flute · In studio I would highly recommend Bill as a flute teacher. He is a wonderful flautist, himself, in addition to being so skilled at several other instruments. Bill is very professional, kind, patient, and has always made me feel that he is interested in understanding where I would like to go, in terms of the kind of music I would like to play and the level of proficiency I am aiming to attain. I picked up my flute after 40 years of not touching it (since I was a teenager) and I'm so happy I did. Like many of the other students who have responded on this page, I have learned so much from Bill and have really enjoyed both his lessons, and my personal journey of practice and improvement as a flautist.
· Piano · In studio Bill was a great teacher and he was very patient with me.
Thanks Bill for the great lessons taught and being so patient with me.
· Flute · In studio They say the best teachers never stop learning, and Bill is a perfect example of this. He is a geek for music! And his enthusiasm is infectious.
I played flute a hundred years ago all through my school years. Then I never touched it again. Until recently, when I thought it would be "fun" to pick it up again.
But Bill has shown great patience with me and is able to be encouraging while also noting some weaknesses. He's very engaging and upbeat and makes every lesson fun. He has also taken me to see professional flautists perform, and he has recommended some great books on music and flute.
I've learned so much from Bill and have enjoyed every minute of it!