- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Music is the biggest passion in my life. I love being able to share that gift with my students, and look forward to their progress as much as my own. I continue to grow and develop as a musician, and love connecting with people through music. My students all learn to love and appreciate music, theory and performing as I share my knowledge and expertise.
I have degrees in Violin, Viola and Vocal Performance, that I earned while on full scholarship for music. I started violin as a young child with the Suzuki Method and later added viola. I began singing professional gigs while still in high school, and was the youngest member ever with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Chorus at 17. I also have extensive experience singing in non-classical groups and bands and am comfortable performing and teaching musical theater, pop, country, opera, operetta, and church music. With solid vocal technique my students are able to cross genres with ease, and sing whatever inspires them musically.
I currently play viola with the La Jolla Symphony, and have sung with the San Diego Master Chorale and the San Diego Symphony. I was concertmaster in several symphony orchestras and have played as section leader for viola in numerous groups. I also play in and manage a string quartet and am also currently coaching small group string ensembles. My siblings and I have played in our family string quartet for over 20 years, and still perform together. Most recently I was chosen to record a new song Glow for Disneyland's California Adventure World of Color Winter Dreams.
I am comfortable teaching with various different methods, and cater lesson plans to the individual student. With over 14 years of teaching experience, I have taught students that vary in age from 3 to 75 years old, and am very comfortable with teaching children.
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are fun. My philosophy is that students should have music in their lives and benefit from the lessons they take now for years to come. Learning to play a musical instrument will help students with math skills, study habits, and develop a skill that will last for a lifetime.
After 3 months students will understand the fundamentals of their string instrument or voice, know how to care for their instrument, warm up properly, be able to read and play/sing introductory passages. After 6 months the student will have learned basic music theory, how to read music, and have advanced through playing/singing multiple songs.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I have a violin and viola that I bring to assist in teaching lessons. I expect that the students provide an instrument and their books. A keyboard or piano is essential for voice students for vocalization. A student need not know how to play piano in order to take voice lessons.
*** Specialties ***
Vocal students are encouraged to pick songs from whatever genre sparks their interest. With violin and viola I use the suzuki method of training and follow the books and lessons, I use other books to supplement scales/technique.
· Singing · In home Lessons have been great. She is organized, intuitive with the child taking lessons, and getting results. All this plus a beautiful spirit and voice.
· Viola · In home Betsy was AMAZING!! She helped me work on scales and my concerto, she made it so mug more fun and was very nice to be around.
· Singing · In home Betsy came to our house to teach my 5-year-old daughter singing lessons. Betsy's methods were useful and good. My daughter loved taking lessons with her. After a handful of lessons, Betsy began to reschedule our lessons. One time, she had rescheduled and showed up at our house at the original time...just as we were pulling into the driveway from an outing. Okay, fine. Then, she'd contact me and hour or two before our lesson, to see if we could reschedule. This is unprofessional and unacceptable! It became the norm with her, so we cancelled our lessons with Betsy. It isn't easy for our family of five to rearrange our schedule for her. Once or twice? Okay, but not all of the time! My daughter was greatly disappointed an defeated, and we haven't taken singing lessons since. I have yet to receive my money back from TakeLessons. Go figure.
· Singing · In home She was wonderful. She went out of her way to meet us on short notice. Very patient. She made my daughter feel very comfortable.
· · In studio First day went very well.
· Violin · In home Betsy has been my daughters coach for about a year now, and she is wonderful. My daughter has learned so much in the past year, and now she's interested in singing, thanks to Betsy. Betsy has a wonderful spirit, she knows how to communicate on their level, and she makes them feel as though they can do anything. I also like her because she encourages kids to follow their dreams, and to do the right things, and we all know that it takes a village to raise a child. I would highly recommend Betsy!
· · I have an audition tonight. I was very grateful that Betsy was able to help me with last minute suggestions. Betsy was available immediately which made the lesson possible. She is a wonderful voice teacher and helped me polish up my song. Thanks so much for making this format available. Linda
· · Review
Besty was very helpful and helped me with my technique which is pretty advanced. It's hard to find people who can teach people who have been playing for years lol...I can tell she has the understanding and the knowledge^^
· · Review
Wow!!! Betsy is for very nice and and very patient for beginners like me she made me feel comfortable
· · Review
My instructor and let me tel you, She is PATIENT!! After grappling with just set up, she talked me through and made sure I was on point, and even after we got started she was supportive and helpful and cheerful all throughout. It truly was a pleasure and I look forward to working with her again!