I have been studying music my entire life. I first sat down at the piano at four years old and have never strayed. After attending a performing arts high school, I studied music composition and theory at San Francisco Conservatory of Music. My studies not only enhanced my passion for music, but gave me an understanding of it and the listening experience. My desire to share this love and excitement led me to become a piano teacher. Developing my own teaching practice has required intense organizational skills and independent motivation and enhanced my ability to work with others as I interact with my students, their teachers, and parents. In this position, I have had the pleasure of expanding my students’ musical understanding by introducing them to new and different styles and genres of music.
*** Lesson Details ***
Provide interactive and engaging private lessons to students of all ages at my studio and their homes.
Teach piano, music theory, and composition to students of all ages and skill levels.
Develop lesson plans, practice activities, and homework assignments tailor-made for each student maintaining their interest and heightening their skill.
Improvise and sight-read with students to helping them develop a working knowledge of musicality and movement.
Arrange popular songs and simplify advanced compositions to suit my students’ skill levels.
Help students listen to and understand the music they know and love through musical development and ear training.
*** Studio Equipment ***
I have 2 upright piano's and sound proofing equipment that helps reduce the intensity of the pianos.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in improvisation and ear training. I love teaching in the postmodernist classical genre. I also love teaching popular styles and methods where the student chooses what direction they would like to go. I do not force my students to play music they don't appreciate.
Develop in-depth lesson plans, individualized practice schedules, and interactive exercises for elementary and middle school girls.
• Arrange popular songs and simplify advanced compositions to suit varying students’ skill levels.
Teach piano, music theory, and composition to high school students of all skill levels.
• Develop lesson plans, practice activities, and individualized homework assignments to maintain students’ interest and heightening
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio Benjamin is a great for me . Very patient . Thoughtful lesson plan
· Piano · In studio Benjamin is a wonderful teacher! I always look forward to seeing him for a lesson and my playing ability increased EXTREMELY during my time with him!
· Piano · In studio Benjamin is the best teacher ever, talented, nice and open to every type of music you want to learn!
· Piano · In studio Ben is patient when I am moving slowly through exersizes, he makes sure that I really understand how to read music and he is the #1 reason for me being able to learn the piano. He is very encouraging and I'd recomend him to anybody who seriously wants to learn how to play!
· Piano · In studio Benjamin was really awesome. Definitely recommend!
· Piano · In home Benjamin is a great teacher and a talented musician. It is obvious that he loves music and wants to share that love of music. His lessons are fun and flexible, as he tailors the content to the student’s interests. He has a very large collection of music and I found that he was excellent at selecting music that stretched my ability while still being within reach of learning. I have only been playing for a year, but I was very surprised at how quickly Benjamin was able to help me get beautiful sounding music to come out of the piano. I highly recommend.
· Piano · In home Ben is a very talented teacher who has greatly taught and enriched my daughters piano playing. Ben has cleverly and quickly taught music theory as well as composition and so much more! At the end of lessons he freely composes beautiful music with her, which has contributed greatly to her love of piano playing....she even would like to write her own songs and now freely goes on her own to play the piano while we cook dinner! He challenges her and yet patiently helps her build the skills and tools needed to for a strong understanding of the fundamentals and foundations of music. I highly recommend Ben as a teacher, he is absolutely one of the strongest and most lovable teachers out there!
· Piano · In home Great first lesson
· Piano · In studio Very good at reassuring me when I'm stressed out from the piece I'm learning... which is all the time. He is very helpful and really knows his stuff!!
· Music Theory · In studio Benjamin is excellent, a music theory whisperer. In a few hours, my son went from a complete block to totally understanding and completing of all the music theory he was assigned. Most of all, he now understands the concepts and application and use. Really amazing work, incredible teacher. Can't say enough.