Males 13 to 70
Barbara S. is happy to nest in Ann Arbor, Michigan after many years in New York City and on the road with national tours of "The Phantom of the Opera" (Carlotta and Madame Giry), “Camelot” (Broadway and National Tour) and an international tour of “Evita”. She has appeared locally and regionally with many Equity theaters and opera companies.
Ms. S. has a Master's degree in Vocal Performance from Eastern Michigan University and is certified Level III in the Somatic Voicework™ The LoVetri Method. She has also trained in Estill Voice through the University of Michigan, with additional training in the Feldenkrais Method of movement. She is a member of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS). She will tailor your vocal development to your individual performance goals.
Somatic Voicework™ is based voice upon research done on Jeanie LoVetri in 1988 in Stockholm, Sweden, by Dr. Johan Sundberg and the late Dr. Patricia Gramming of the Royal Swedish Institute’s Music Acoustics Lab. In this research, Ms. LoVetri was confirmed to be singing in three distinct, separate vocal productions on purpose. She was already an experienced singer and singing teacher, working with her voice all day long, and had no vocal health issues.
Somatic Voicework™, Ms. LoVetri’s method, is clear, easily understood and incorporates grounding in vocal anatomy and physiology, vocal acoustics and voice medicine, assuring that it presents information that makes sense, is accurate, and is replicable by others, no matter what their background.
Our mission is to educate and inspire all people to understand and value the art of vocal music and its lifelong impact on the human spirit.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
SAG-AFTRA represents approximately 160,000 actors, announcers, broadcast journalists, dancers, DJs, news writers, news editors, program hosts, puppeteers, recording artists, singers, stunt performers, voiceover artists and other media professionals. SAG-AFTRA members are the faces and voices that entertain and inform America and the world. With national offices in Los Angeles and New York, and local offices nationwide, SAG-AFTRA members work together to secure the strongest protections for media artists into the 21st century and beyond.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
· Singing · In studio I am very much enjoying singing lessons with Barbara! She is very energetic and fully engaged in the lessons, and gives great feedback. I am learning quite a lot, and enjoying every minute of it. I would highly recommend Barbara!
· Singing · In studio Really awesome teacher. Very professional and patient . Has the experience like no other !
· Singing · In home Barbara has a warm and engaging personality that put me at ease. I had never sung before and I'm really enjoying exploring my voice.
· · In studio Barbara is both knowledgable and intuitive. I had a great lesson and am looking forward to growing and strengthening my voice with her
· Singing · In home Ruby is enjoying her singing lessons. She has clicked with Barbara and admires her.
· Singing · In home Made me feel very comfortable for my first time ever. Very cool experience!
· Singing · In home I've just had my first lesson with Barbara, and I felt immediately comfortable. She was highly encouraging, and I feel that I learned a lot already. I'm really looking forward to the next lesson!
· Singing · In home First time meeting Barbara. I can tell she loves what she does and working with students that want to learn how to sing better. She was great with my daughter. My daughter is very slow when starts something new and when she first meets someone new. Barbara was patient, keeping class going in positive ways.