After Anastasia’s Carnegie Hall Debut in 2006, the New York Concert Review wrote: "For a critic, hearing a new pianist with a truly warm, luscious tone is like breathing in the scent of jasmine blooming - a pleasure to be recalled again and again - and so I'm happy to report that from the first note she touched at her Weill Hall recital, Anastasia S. was a genuine pleasure to listen to. Every piece, every measure, every note - no matter how complex the texture, no matter how many strands of melody and accompaniment - was wrapped in a halo of golden tone..."
Born in Kiev, Ukraine, Anastasia S. gave her first solo recital at the age of eleven. Ms. S. is a graduate of the Hochschule für Musik Würzburg, Germany, and holds a Master’s and a Doctorate degrees from The Hartt School at the University of Hartford.
In 2003 Anastasia received First Prize in the 14th International Piano Competition for Young Pianists in Rome, Italy, and was awarded a Special Prize. In year 2006 Ms. S. won the Puigcerda International Piano Competition in Spain. In the same year she recorded the complete works for piano and orchestra by Balakirev with the Russian Philharmonic Orchestra for NAXOS records. In 2008 Ms. S. received the “Outstanding Award”, which granted her a return engagement to give a second solo recital at Carnegie Hall in New York City. In 2010 Anastasia was awarded a Special Prize for the best interpretation of French composition at the International Piano Competition “Parnassos” in Mexico. Her solo recital in 2008 at the Myra Hess Concert Series in Chicago was broadcast live on WFMT Radio, in Internet, and on the TV-Station “Channel 25“; Anastasia was invited to play there again in 2011. Her career continues with numerous appearances as a soloist both in concertos with orchestra, in solo recitals, and in chamber music concerts in Ukraine, Germany, Macedonia, Italy, Switzerland, France, Russia, USA, and Japan. Anastasia’s recent engagements included a performance at the Bolshoi Hall of Moscow Conservatory as well as solo appearances with orchestras in the United States and Germany featuring concerti by Prokofieff, Mozart, Grieg, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and Stravinsky. In 2014 her new CD "Music of Russian-Jewish composers for oboe and piano" was released. Currently, Anastasia is working on her two new solo CD's for Centaur Records.
In 2013, Anastasia was granted the Extraordinary Abilities in the Arts permanent US residence, as one of a small percentage of those who have risen to the top in their field of endeavor. Anastasia served as an Adjunct Faculty in Piano and Chamber Music at the Hartt School, and is currently on faculty of the New England Conservatory in Boston.
I offer scholarships for advanced level students upon request.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Yamaha Grand Piano. Piano books and theory material available if needed
*** Travel Equipment ***
Travel myself by car
*** Specialties ***
Traditional piano method. Classical music.
Over 15 years experience in teaching piano, chamber music, theory and history of music
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio Excellent
· Classical Piano · In studio As an adult beginner, I chose Anastasia for more personalized instruction, especially in technique, after learning the basics through community center group lessons. I have not continued only because another equally well-qualified instructor who lives close by, within walking distance, has become available. I am very pleased with the lessons and pointers that I have received. Anastasia is professional, encouraging, and friendly. An especially helpful part of her instruction is the set of comments and suggestions that she writes down to guide practice between lessons. If the neighbor instructor does not work out, I’ll be back.
· Piano · In studio excellent teacher, patient, and very professional
· Classical Piano · Online For the past 3 months I've been learning piano online with Anastasia. I was skeptical about online lessons at first but I decided to give it a shot. So far everything has been great I've learned a lot of technique and every lesson has been fantastic. Everyone is amazed at how much I've progressed in such a short span of time. I can say without a doubt that my progress wouldn't even compare if I had a different instructor. I would highly recommend her to anyone who seriously wants to learn piano and would also recommend her to anyone who wants to try online lessons!
· Piano · In studio I had Anastasia as my piano instructor and she was great. When I came to her it was the first time I ever touched a piano so it was very challenging, but she was very accommodating to my experience level. Not only did she teach me how to play but also the theory and history of the piano. I am planning on coming back to her as soon as I can, I recommend her to anyone.
· Music Performance · Online Anastasia is helping me prepare for a role in a German Operetta with spoken dialogue. She is assisting with the translation of the German libretto, pronunciation, and playing the score. She has been great to work with!
· Piano · funny and great teacher
My daughter 8 years old loves Anastasia, she can be very serious and also funny a good balance. Great personality!