- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Males 8 to 17
My passion for music has inspired me to pursue teaching and performance professionally in order to help others achieve their musical dreams. I began my teaching career in college while earning a Bachelor's in Music from Southwestern University (magna cum laude).
As a professional I currently play as a soloist as well as with AURORA: Trio for Flute, Harp, and Cello, the St. John Vianney Parish Orchestra, the Shimmer Flute Choir, and Sounds of Silver Flute Quartet, and an active member of the Music Teacher's National Association and board member of the Houston Flute Club.
In college I played in the SU Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Flute Ensemble, and in the pit orchestra for a professional production of The Mikado, and a student production of The Beggar's Opera.
Although classically trained I also enjoy classic rock and appreciate music from other cultures as well.
I frequently write arrangements for flute choir and other ensembles, and so I can help students who want to learn more about arranging and composition.
In addition to the flute I also have experience with the piccolo, alto, and bass flute. I love performing and I share my passion for music with my students.
*** Lesson Details ***
I offer lessons that cover just about every aspect of playing the Western concert flute. Students can expect to become well-rounded musicians who are knowledgeable about flute technique, tone, music theory and history. I use the Rubank Method with handout supplements.
The biggest changes I've seen in my students after a few months is a better understanding of how to practice efficiently as well as improved tone. Furthermore, every year many of my students earn superior ratings of 1 on their UIL solos.
I strive to make lessons fun and interesting while addressing the fundamentals of flute-playing. My goal is to see students improve and understand that playing an instrument is a lot of fun, but it is also a lot of hard work.
My teaching philosophy focuses on slow and deliberate practice of technique while still appreciating the expression and style of a piece. I try to use a variety of methods for explaining concepts including pictures, verbal descriptions, demonstrations, etc., depending on what works best for the student. I focus heavily on good posture, tone production, and efficient practice methods, stressing on learning good playing habits at a young age. I believe that music lessons should be a fun and engaging part of a student's week. Ultimately my goal is to share my enthusiasm for music and my instrument with the student and deepen their love for the art.
Every Spring my students and I participate in Flute Fest, a day-long celebration of all things flute, including concerts, masterclasses, and a solo and ensemble contest. A few weeks later we have our annual studio recital where everyone shows off their hard work.
A NOTE ABOUT WOODEN FLUTES
Occasionally I am asked to help students play wooden, non-western flutes. Although the very basic fundamentals are the same, I do not play these flutes and can only offer very limited help.
Music Theory Lessons:
I can help students of any instrument better understand the fundamental concepts of music theory: scales, intervals, chords, part-writing, etc. Theory lessons take place at the piano to demonstrate concepts. However, students do not have to play piano to take theory lessons. I typically use a combination of the Master Theory curriculum and other handouts, unless the student is already working out of another textbook.
**Online theory lessons** use the same curriculum, but with the screen share feature to help my demonstrations.
During the summer I offer additional group classes on different subjects, including theory and ear-training. I try something new every year to provide a variety of opportunities for students to learn and grow in their musicianship.
I have added my own features to the two tuition options TL already offers. I consider the Recurring Schedule a Subscription Package, where clients pay the same amount every month, equal to the value of four lessons, regardless of the number of lessons attended. This guarantees a permanent reservation of your time slot. I call the Schedule-As-You-Go the A La Carte Package, for those who cannot commit to a regular time. There is no reservation of a time slot and you pay for a few lessons at a time. I am happy to answer questions about tuition through the Ask A Question feature!
*** Studio Equipment ***
My studio is located in the front room of my home and includes a music stand, piano, and comfortable chairs in case parents would like to stay for the lesson.
*** Specialties ***
I primarily concentrate on classical music, but I also have experience with extended techniques, which include singing and playing at the same time, key clicks, and multiphonics.
I am the founding member and flute player for the chamber group, AURORA. We are a trio for flute, harp, and cello who play all over the Houston area for concerts and various gigs.
I work part-time as a music engraver, typing music into the computer like you would with Word. The skills I have learned on this job also help me prepare custom handouts for my students.
I provided private lessons and gave masterclasses throughout the school year for the flute section.
While earning my degree I worked for a music studio in Georgetown, Texas.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
The purpose and goal of the Houston Flute Club is to cultivate, promote, sponsor, and develop among its members and the general public the appreciation of the flute and flute music through performance, education, and exposure to all varieties of flute-related activities, while providing an encouraging environment for flutists of every level.
· Flute · In home She's super friendly and understands your need!! She's open to challenges and likes to discover stuff with her students which is a great value she possesses n I really appreciate her for that!!! She can make u feel extremely comfortable and assist you in clearly understanding the instrument n it's requirements!! Overall she's been great for Day 1! Look forward to many more!!!
· Flute · In home I have played several instruments professionally over the years and decided to take up the flute. Allison is one of the best teachers I have ever had! She has shown me music tips and techniques that I have never been shown before, and I look forward to continuing with her in order to learn more. Excellent teacher!
· Flute · In studio As an adult student trying to find my musical roots once more, I could not be more pleased with Allison. She is the best! She is incredibly knowledgeable, patient, and has a very positive attitude. I look forward to my lessons because I know I'm going to learn AND have fun AND work at being a little better than I was the week before. If you need a great teacher that can help you improve, no matter your skill set, Allison is the instructor for you.
· Flute · In home Allison has been amazing with teaching our daughter flute as well as music theory. She is consistent with her teaching method and our daughter's confidence has really boosted as a flute player! We could not be happier with Allison and her talents!
· Flute · In home Allison is very accommodating. That's very convenient for us, my husband and I, because of our hectic schedule.
· Flute · In home Allison is such a great instructor! I felt very nervous leading up to the lesson because it had been such a long time since I played. Allison put me at ease right away. I gained some confidence and helpful instruction just in the first 45 minutes we spent together. She's very patient and encouraging. I recommend her to anyone, regardless of age or skill level.
· Flute · In studio Allison is a very professional and well-organized teacher. She lays out clear expectations for new students and her explanations are always very clear. I appreciate how she strives to make the most of the lesson time and I'm sure you will too! She does not let a single moment go under-utilized.
Allison is clever at finding ways to make tedious exercises (such as tuning) fun. She also has interesting blog posts on the types of music/chords she composes and enjoys. She is enthusiastic about sharing these tidbits with interested students, thus inspiring them. Her teaching methods are quite motivating. I like the way she explains the logic behind a piece of music. An example is "O Magnum Mysterium", which she arranged.
Allison teaches out of her home studio. It is a comfortable environment that is conducive to learning and also has two seats for parents who wish to observe their child's lesson. Allison is very professional about ensuring that the lesson time is free of interruptions.
I highly recommend Allison's professional services to anyone who is looking to learn or resume playing the flute. She is an excellent educator and I'm sure you will be pleased with her studio.
· Flute · In studio She is very encouraging. My daughter really likes her. She has improved tremendously. Absolutely recommend!
· Flute · In home Really happy I chose Allison. She is very knowledgeable and is great at accessing her students and building on their strengths. My daughter enjoys playing her flute again!
· Flute · In studio Our daughter has been taking lessons for a year now with Allison and has really improved her ability. Allison is very patient and a very good instructor. Highly recommend!!