- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Learn piano from a nationally touring recording artist, songwriter and composer with eleven years teaching experience. My approach to teaching piano is holistic, incorporating music theory, ear training, healthy physical technique, improvisation and sight reading. I have over eleven years experience teaching students of all ages, and I enjoy working with each student individually to build on their strengths and help them develop in the areas they find more challenging.
An EMMY-nominated film composer, I also teach songwriting for students interested in composition. Lessons are tailored to each student, incorporating a diverse mix of classical and contemporary repertoire and a practice plan that addresses each student's needs and musical goals.
Drawing upon my extensive background as a performer in music and theater, I encourage students to take creative risks, to be expressive, and above all, to play with joy! All students have the opportunity to share their progress with family and friends during fun, low-stress, semi-annual recitals. (Participation is optional but highly encouraged!)
I use the Faber and Faber Piano Adventures books as a foundation, but also incorporate other music, including classical, pop and theatre music, depending upon student interest and what I feel will best help my students to stretch and grow! Students are also welcome to request pieces they would like to learn; I will do my best to find or create an arrangement that's appropriate to your current skill level.
Collingswood Home Studio -- Equipment:
Microphone and amp
Piano, Guitar, Songwriting, Classical, Musical Theater, Pop, Rock, Music Theory, Composition & Songwriting, Songwriting, Guitar Accompaniment, Piano Accompaniment, Performance, Business of Music.
Allison has had considerable success as both a touring singer songwriter and composer for film, TV, and theater. She has shared the stage with Petra Haden, Rachael Sage, Fred Armisen, Lelia Broussard and many others. Songs from her most recent record, Sweet and Vicious, have been heard on Lifetime's Dance Moms, NBC's Late Night with Carson Daly, as well as shows on PBS, Bravo, Oxygen and TLC. As a composer, she was nominated for an EMMY and received a Telly Award for the music she composed for the documentary 5000 Miles from Home. Most recently, she composed music for the indie romantic comedy Get Happy, which premiered at the 2015 Manhattan FilmFestival. After many years in New York City, she now resides in Collingswood, New Jersey with her family.
Private instructor of piano, guitar, ukulele, theory and songwriting, teaching students ages 4 and up. From 2005 - June 2015, my studio was based in New York City. As of September 2015, I am located in Collingswood, NJ, where I teach from my home studio.
Music for Queens offered Music for Aardvark classes to babies and toddlers ages 4 months through 4 years. As Program Director, I ran classes throughout Queens, serving roughly 120 families per semester. I was also the primary class instructor, accompanying class on voice and guitar and leading children and their adult care-givers through a variety of music activities designed to develop gross and fine motor skills, encourage socialization, and nurture their innate musicality.
I taught private piano and guitar lessons for the After-School program. Additionally, I taught several "rock band" classes in which I instructed students on keyboards, guitar, bass or drums and helped them to write, arrange, and perform songs together.
The Recording Academy, known variously as The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences or NARAS, is a U.S. organization of musicians, producers, recording engineers and other recording professionals dedicated to improving the quality of life and cultural condition for music and its makers. The Recording Academy is headquartered in Santa Monica.
The Dramatists Guild of America was established over eighty years ago, and is the only professional association which advances the interests of playwrights, composers, lyricists and librettists writing for the living stage. The Guild has over 6,000 members nationwide, from beginning writers to the most prominent authors represented on Broadway, Off-Broadway and in regional theaters.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Ukulele · In studio Allison was fantastic. Kind, knowledgeable and enthusiastic.
· Piano · In home Allison taught my daughter for 4 years. We found her to be patient and nurturing, and she was able to keep my daughter motivated, which is not always easy, since my daughter quickly becomes frustrated when things don't come to her right away. Allison is great with kids and has a knack for keeping lessons fun, even while she's challenging students to be their best. The recitals were a real highlight for us. They gave our daughter a real goal to work for, and as we got to know the other families over the years, it was fun to watch their kids improving too.
· Piano · In studio Allison taught my son from the ages of 6-12 and my daughter from the ages of 5-8. She was great with the kids--always patient and friendly--and they both were very attached to her. As well, she taught them both how to play piano and music theory, which I thought was great. While she followed a set of piano books, she also was always willing to find them sheet music versions of songs they liked at a level they could play, which really helped to keep their interest high. Allison is a terrific teacher and both my children loved learning with her.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Very patient with a SLOW beginner!
· Piano · In home Excellent first lesson with my son