• I have over 20 years experience as a music teacher, conductor, theater/orchestra director and a performer in Russia, Norway and the United States.
• I possess excellent interpersonal skills and over the years developed the ability to communicate efficiently and connect with every student I teach.
• I am creative and enthusiastic while working with people of all ages.
• I have a reputation of being passionate about achieving professional goals.
09/08- Present NYC Board of Education, P.S. 48
• Band & Orchestra Director
• Teach children K-5 to play musical instruments in small groups and large ensembles
• Organize and perform Winter and Spring Concerts
02/08- Present Yakov's Music for Gifted & Talented, Inc, Brooklyn, NY
• Founder and Music Director
• Teach various musical instruments and vocal
06/07-06/08 Rockaway-Five Towns Symphony, Lynbrook, NY
• Music Director, Conductor
• Conducted weekly rehearsals (night) and 3-4 concerts during the concert season
10/03-06/08 Globe Institute of Technology, New York, NY
• Adjunct Professor of Music
06/07-08/07 JCC of Cherry Hill, NJ
• Musical Theater Director
• Taught acting, improvisation, singing. Produced musical shows.
10/06-06/07 JCH of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY
• Musical Theater Director
• Produced musical theater shows
• Taught students of ages 5-12 various vocal selections
09/00-06/07 NYC Board of Education, District 20, P.S.200; P.S.179
• Band / Orchestra Director
• Taught all woodwind, brass and percussion, violin, piano
05/99-06/06 School for Musical Performance, Brooklyn, NY
• Instructed students on Piano, Guitar, All string and wind instruments and vocals.
• Prepared students for the auditions to the prestigious schools and other music organizations.
1993-1997 St. Petersburg Radio Orchestra, Russia
• Principal Bassoonist
Other work experience:
• Performed as a bassoonist with The Kirov Opera & Ballet Theatre, the Mussorgsky Opera & Ballet Theatre, The St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra, The Chamber Opera Orchestra of St. Petersburg and other Symphony and Chamber orchestras of St. Petersburg, Russia
• Performed Solo Recitals in Russia, Poland, Norway and United States
06/98 The St. Petersburg Conservatory of Music, St. Petersburg, Russia
M.A. in Music: Major – Bassoon Performance; Minor – Conducting
06/91 The St. Petersburg College of Music named after Rimsky-Korsakov, Russia
B.A. with a Double Major in Orchestral Performance (Bassoon) and Music Education
*** Lesson Details ***
Would you just like to learn a few songs on the piano, violin or guitar? Or you'd like your child be become next Joshua Bell or Evgenij Kissin? My lessons are designed with each individual student in mind. I will start my lesson with introduction and proceed with warm-up routine. I always make sure that the student is comfortable with the pace that I am offering. I am mixing elements of music theory, history and performance techniques in order to help my student to embrace the beauty of music making experience. All my students are ready to perform at the recital after just 3-4 months of lessons.
*** Studio Equipment ***
I teach using Fisher Baby Grand Piano. Fender guitars. Major brands band instruments; yamaha, selmer, gemeingardt, etc.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Fender Guitar, Yamaha Flute/Saxophone, Casio Digital Piano, Custom Violin made in England.
*** Specialties ***
suzuki violin, classical, jazz
I am teaching students K-5th grade to play musical instruments such as: flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, drums, recorder and violin. Students learn in small groups and then perform as a band or an orchestra.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
National Association for Music Education (NAfME), among the world’s largest arts education organizations, is the only association that addresses all aspects of music education. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers. The Association orchestrates success for millions of students nationwide and has supported music educators at all teaching levels for more than a century.
NYSMTA is dedicated to furthering the art of music and promoting the growth and professional development of its members. It seeks to enhance the educational and performance expertise in all areas of music teaching, including performance, pedagogy, theory, and composition. In addition to the Annual Conference, Local Associations throughout the state sponsor musical and educational events of specific interest to those in their communities.
· Piano · In studio Great lesson, looking forward to more.
· Piano · In home Yakov,
Was a GOD SENT GIFT. I REALLY ENJOYED THE INITIAL LESSON. I AM ANTICIPATING ALL FUTURE LESSONS WITH YAKOV. HE WAS EVERYTHING I PRAYED FOR. HE WAS PLEASANT, PATIENT AND VERY KNOWLEGABLE.
HE MADE ME FEEL VERY COMFORTABLE. YAKOV. WILL BE MY MUSIC
INSTRUCTOR WHO WILL TEACH ME TO PLAY, THE VIOLIN AND THE GUITAR.YAKOV IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
· Violin · In home It was my first lesson and now I have some idea how hold the violin and the bow. My homework is to practice a few notes on each string and then to practice playing the A scale. I think I can do it in two octaves. What is challenging is to play the scale without hearing a screeching sound. I'm looking forward to playing like Sarah Chang (hopefully after five lessons).
· Saxophone · In home Very knowledgeable on the instrument and helpful in his explanations.
· Guitar · In home The best
· Violin · In home He is great teacher , he style of teaching is unique.
· Violin · Online Yakov Dyman has all the qualities necessary for teaching children, piano and violin. He is a disciplined craftsman, has a love for music and teaching and, most important, is able to transfer a passion for music to his students. My daughter had some rudimentary knowledge of the violin when she began to study with Yakov just over a year ago. Today she has good tonality, she practices with enthusiasm everyday and impresses friends and family playing pieces unexpected considering the short time she has been studying. The same is true of her bother on piano.
We feel, through Yakov's artistry, he inspires the kids to approach their music as musicians, not just music students.
· Violin · In home We had our first lesson with Yakov last week (2 four year olds), and he was wonderful. Not only did he teach them a lot about their instruments (violin), but he was able to keep them engaged and interested for the full hour. Both kids cannot wait to go back and my son even asked me why his lesson is only once a week!
· Flute · In home Excellent start. My daughter (age 7), loves her teacher and is eager to attend his lessons.
· Piano · In home I began my piano lessons at Mr. Yakov's Music School when I was in fourth grade. Since then, I have progressed far in my piano studies. When I first started taking piano lessons, I thought it was going to be hard and tedious, and that it would take up too much of my time. However, just by practicing fifteen minutes a day, I was able to get through Piano: Primer Level (my first piano book) in a matter of months! I’m not saying that piano is easy, just that you don’t have to spend hours each day to learn how to play. Also, I feel that taking piano lessons has given me something to improve upon and work toward. I feel more motivated to learn songs that I like to play and to display my skills to my family and friends. Sometimes, I play for my family while they are eating dinner, like a mini-concert. Overall, I highly recommend taking music lessons to anyone, at any age. Music lessons have greatly improved my life as a rewarding and entertaining experience.
Anastasia M., age 14