My name is Victor and I have been actively teaching cello for the past 4 years. In Ames, IA I had a studio of 8 students, all ranging from different age groups and abilities. I also have experience teaching online lessons, which require a slightly different approach than normal in person lessons. I recently moved to Boston to pursue my masters degree in cello performance at The Boston Conservatory. I am looking forward to building a studio here in Boston! My goal as a teacher is to help you achieve your musical goals. I try my absolute hardest to create a warm and positive environment for all of my students. I understand that all of my students are different and I make sure to create individual lesson plans for each of my students. Not only will you grow as a musician and as a cellist, but I believe that learning an instrument gives us skills that can be beneficial in every aspect of our daily lives. Whether you are new to the cello, picking it back up after some time off, or at a more advanced level, I hope to hear from you! If you have any questions at all, please send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
Born in Minneapolis, MN, Victor Mooney began playing cello at the age of 7. While in Minneapolis he studied with Tom Austin, former member of the Minnesota Opera. Victor completed a Bachelor of Music Performance degree from Iowa State University, where he studied with George Work. Upon graduation he was awarded the Outstanding Senior in Music award, the highest honor the Music Department at Iowa State gives. While in undergrad he also received a scholarship for excellence in performance. Starting in the fall of 2015, Victor will be pursuing a Master's of Music in Cello Performance from The Boston Conservatory, where he will be studying with Andrew Mark. He has participated in master classes with Anthony Ross, Tanya Remenikova, Narek Hakhnazaryan, Hong Wang, Bruce Uchimura, and Joshua Koestenbaum. Since 2013 he has played with the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra. While at Iowa State University he had the opportunity to sit Principle Cello in both the Iowa State University Symphony Orchestra and the Iowa State University Chamber Orchestra. He has been teaching privately in the Des Moines area since 2012 and is looking forward to building a studio in Boston. Outside of music, Victor enjoys reading, watching hockey and soccer, running, and visiting with family and friends in Minnesota.
· Cello · Online Very helpful and informative. Gives tips and exercises to help with good posture and correct form. Flexible with time and able to send help during the week if needed. Works at a good pace and always checks for understanding. Reviews your form while playing to make sure everything is in the correct place and moving correctly. Good first lesson. Excited for the rest to come xD
· Music Theory · In home Extremely supportive, positive, encouraging teacher. We worked on form and theory, and always left me with things to work on until our next lesson. Really helped me get started. Thanks Victor!
· Cello · Online Very understanding and supportive. Provided valuable advise on technique.
· Cello · Online I have been a student of music for many years with piano and violin. This year it was time for a change. Taking on cello with Victor has been the best experience. He is kind, patient and provides a wonderful learning environment. Although my lessons are done online it seems no different then if he were standing in my living room! I would encourage anyone to take cello lessons from Victor as he teaches a unique way with every student. By the end of your first lesson you will love what you learn and practice to get better. It has been super fun and I look forward to learning more!
· Cello · Online Awesome first lesson. Looking forward to the next one.
· Cello · In home Victor was on time and very friendly. My daughter happily jumped right into playing.
The best review I can give is that this morning after the lesson, unbidden, she picked up her cello and practiced for the few minutes she had between breakfast and leaving for the bus. That is inspiration. What could be better that that?!
· Cello · In home I am brand new to the cello. My first concerns were the ergonomics... how best to hold the cello, my bow, my string hand, posture etc. Victor gave very clear information on all of these and then was able to give exercises to help these. When we moved to the playing, it was the same clear progressive instruction that was a balance of rational progression and inspiration.
· Cello · In home Victor's a great instructor! He's very attentive, and his teaching is very personalized for the student. I'm excited to be learning from him.
· Cello · In studio Victor has the rare ability to both inspire and equip a budding musician. Often, a teachers may be enthusiastic but may lack in practical, effective techniques to enable a student to truly excell. There are also the cases in which an instructor has excellent info to share, but lacks the spark and fun needed for a child to truly benefit. Victor has both. He took our frustrated daughter who was convinced she could not do this thing called cello, and gave her both the tools to succeed and the drive to work. As a former music educator myself, I recommend him with my highest regards.
· Cello · Online Victor has been a knowledgeable, patient and respectful instructor. I started the cello in mid-life and that has been humbling. Victor guided my first lessons at his Iowa studio. We have continued with on-line lessons now that he is studying in Boston. He helps me develop efficient practice habits since time is a precious commodity. He encourages healthy posture and technique so that I can enjoy playing for many years to come.