Tomoko has been teaching private lessons in piano, music theory and ear training since 2011, and is currently available to teach lessons at her home studio in Cambridge or practice rooms in Back Bay. Tomoko has helped students find joy and confidence in playing music. She is also able to guide you to play in a healthy manner. She has experience in helping students with learning difficulties and special needs.
After having trained classically in Tokyo and London, Tomoko relocated to Boston in 2011, to study jazz composition and performance at Berklee College of Music where she received a diploma in Professional Music in 2014. As an expert in her field, Tomoko always tries to keep student's learning experience fun and motivating, and looks forward to helping new students achieve their goals.
I have been working as an assistant music teacher for 5th and 7th grade students in Cambridge.
For 5th grade, we learn music instruments and songs in each period, and play games using songs from that period.
For 7th grade, I teach ukulele and basic music theory as well as directing choir.
Provide piano accompaniment for ballet class by spontaneously choosing repertoire from classical, ragtime, jazz and latin music.
As a band leader, Tomoko has been leading her band to perform in various jazz clubs and venues such as The Beat Brasserie, Ryles Jazz Club, Lilypad, and Outpost 186 since 2013. Her premier album "Gentian" that feature poems of Emily Dickinson and instrumental pieces that have elements of impressionism and neo-classical was released in 2015, currently available on iTunes, Amazon.com and spotify.
Tomoko has also been participating many recording projects as a pianist and vocalist. As a pianist, she has recorded with Gaia Wilmer's group on Jazz Revelation Records in 2015, and also recorded a disney song for a music application by Sonotation. As a singer, she has collaborated and recorded her original composition as well as pop songs for Music Production and Engineering projects at Berklee College of Music.
I have been giving private piano lessons to students between 4 and 23 years old over the past 5 years. For small children, I mainly focus on having fun in my lessons by singing, clapping hands and using card games to learn notes. For intermediate level students, I give them simple and effective exercises that they can do in a short amount of time to improve their skills. For advanced level students, I first discuss about their goals and interest, and then design our lessons accordingly to achieve their success.
One-on-one tutoring session in all core music subjects in Berklee (music theory, ear training, and counterpoint)
I have helped over 100 students for their harmony or ear training class work, and helped them gain confidence and success. I give them examples to help them understand the concept, and simple exercises to improve their skills. I have worked with students with learning difficulties and special needs.
· Piano · In studio Tomoko is a not only a perfassional teacher, but also a talented improvisor! She has extensive knowledge of lots of kinds of music (ballet, Jazz, classic) and excellent skill of improvising. I observed her accompany class for ballet, she was very patient and helpful which are also very important qualities of being a teacher. it was a great experience!
· Piano · In home I am just starting to learn how to play the piano, and have had no past experience with other music teachers. Tomoko has a very pleasant and encouraging teaching style. Her approach is informal and she does not rely on a rigid "lesson plan". I would highly recommend her for those wanting a relaxed learning experience.
· Piano · In studio Tomoko is a great teacher! She is knowledgeable in both jazz and classical music. Her criticism is constructive as she wants the best outcome for her students!
· · In studio Tomoko is an awesome teacher! She was very patient and made me feel at ease and inspired. She explained difficult musical concepts in a clear way that I could understand, and I feel like I have learned a lot from her. I highly reccomend taking lessons from her--you won't be sorry!!
· Piano · In home Tomoko is passionate about music, a wonderful and inspirational teacher. Her guidance helps me learn pieces that looked very difficult at first. I recommend her to anyone who wants to play piano including novice adults!
· Piano · In studio My four year old daughter enjoyed the class. She loves music thanks to Ms. Tomoko.
She felt comfortable and relaxed during the class.
· Piano · In home Tomoko is a great young musician and good at teaching. Both of my children like her piano lesson. She is very pleasant and easy to communicate with. I definitely recommend her for teaching piano lesson.
· Music Theory · Online Tomoko is a great teacher! she helped me via skype with clearing and understanding complex harmony concepts with patience and kindness and i would recommend anyone to take lessons with her.
· Music Theory · In studio Tomoko is a fantastic tutor. I had a lot of trouble understanding music theory because it had been a topic I hadn't seen before. She was able to explain things to me in a very clear and easy way. She was also able to help me with ear training lessons which was also surprisingly easy, considering it was a topic I felt I had a lot of trouble with at the time. She's one of the best, no doubt.
Also, if you happen to get piano lessons from her, I'm sure you'll get more than your money's worth. She's an amazing jazz, classical, and overall pianist.