Greetings! I am Todd, and am experienced, qualified, and love to teach students. I have helped dozens of students reach performance goals and learn healthy and lasting technique for all types of singing. My students continually do well in solo & ensemble competitions, performing arts auditions, and college entrance auditions. I am an expert teacher of French, Italian, German, Spanish and English diction for singers, have a wide knowledge of repertoire, and can speak French fluently and Italian competently. I can help you succeed in the fields of music and languages.
I have a Bachelor of Arts in Music Performance from Albion College. My Master of Music degree, in vocal performance, is from the world-famous Indiana University Jacobs School of Music. I have a solid background of performance and teaching experience, and I look forward to helping new students grow, learn, and reach performance goals.
TEACHERS AND COACHES
Patricia Wise, Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University 1997-1998
Paul Elliott, Early Music Institute, Indiana University 1994-1995
Carol Z. Smith, Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University 1990-1994
Kammersänger Walter Berry, Mozart Opera Summer Institute 1991 (summer)
Josef Wallnig, Direktor, Hoshschule Mozarteum, Salzburg, 1991 (summer)
Maureen Balke, Albion College, Albion, MI 1987-1990
Narciso O. Solero, Coach/Pianist, Indiana University, 1990-1995
Timothy Cheek, Coach/Pianist, Albion College 1987-1990
Associate Instructorship of French, Indiana University 1996-1998
Certificate of highest oral proficiency in French, Middlebury College 1995
Scholarship Recipient for Mozart Opera Summer Institute, Kaprun, Austria, 1991
Music History Award, Albion College 1990
Inductee of Pi Kappa Lambda National Music Honor Society, Albion College 1990
NATS Michigan Competition, Senior Men, Second Place 1990
NATS Midwest Regional Competition, Junior Men, Second Place 1989
Numerous scholarships and grants, academic and musical, to Albion College 1986-1990
Howard Vocal Studio 2008-present
Private Instructor of Voice, Diction, Music Theory, Sight-Singing, and French
Indiana University 1996-1998
Associate Instructor of French
French 100, French 150. Developed lesson plans, taught multiple courses, created examination materials, and administered all grades
English Native language
French Speak fluently, expert singer’s diction, read and write with high proficiency
Italian Speak and read competently, expert singer’s diction, moderate writing proficiency
Spanish Moderate speaking and reading competency, expert singer’s diction
German Expert singer’s diction, limited speaking proficiency, moderate reading proficiency
Evansville Philharmonic Chorus
Evansville Bach Singers
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and Church Choir
Pi Kappa Lambda National Music Honor Society
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
PROFESSIONAL, RECORDING, AND PERFORMANCE ACTIVITIES
Soloist/Chorister, Evansville Philharmonic Chorus 2008-present
Soloist/Chorister, Evansville Bach Singers, Dennis Malfatti, Conductor 2011-present
Soloist/Chorister, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Evansville, IN† 2000-present
Soloist, Evansville Philharmonic Chorus, Mass in G, Franz Schubert† 2001
Recording: Hillier, P., Pärt, A. with Pro Arte Singers & Theatre of Voices (2000). 2000 (release)
I Am the True Vine (CD). Harmonia Mundi†
Chorister, Pro Arte Singers, Paul Hillier, Conductor, Early Music Institute, 1996-1998
Soloist/Chorister, University Singers, Dr. Jan Harrington, Conductor 1991-1996
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Soloist/Chorister, American Cathedral, Paris, France 1996
Soloist/Chorister, Trinity Episcopal Church, Bloomington, IN, Dr. Marilyn Keiser, 1990-2000
Director of Music/Organist†
Music Director and Co-Producer, The Pirates of Penzance, Monroe County 1995
Civic Theatre, Bloomington, IN
REPERTOIRE Art Song, Oratorio, and Cantata
Argento, D. Six Elizabethan Songs
Bach, J. S. Weinachtsoratorium, Magnificat†, Cantata 80, Johannispassion
Beethoven, L. An die ferne Geliebte
Brahms, J. Selected Lieder
Britten, B. Selected songs
Faure, G. Poème d’un Jour, Selected Mélodies
Finzi, G. A Young Man’s Exhortation
Handel, G. Messiah†
Lalo, E. Selected Mélodies
Mendelssohn, F. Elijah†
Misc. Selected songs from the Renaissance and Early Baroque periods of Italy and England, including numerous songs by the English lutenists, Purcell, and the Italian masters
Poulenc, F. Banalités, Selected Songs
Respighi, O. Selected Songs
Schubert, F. Die Schöne Müllerin, Winterreise, Mass in G
Schumann, R. Liederkreiss, Selected Lieder
Vaughan Williams, R. Rejoice in the Lamb
Wolf, H. Selected Lieder
REPERTOIRE Opera Roles Studied and Performed
Donizetti, G. L’Elisir d’Amore, Nemorino
Gounod, C. Faust, Faust
Massenet, J. Manon, Des Grieux
Mozart, W. A. Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Belmonte††, Pedrillo
Le Nozze di Figaro, Don Basilio††
Der Schauspieldirektor, Herr Vogl††
Die Zauberflöte, Tamino††, Monostatos
Verdi, G. Rigoletto, Duca di Mantua †
La Traviata, Alfredo†
† Denotes professional performance activity or activity paid for by a grant or scholarship
†† Denotes operatic repertoire performed in full performance, studio opera, or opera scene performances, staged or concert
· Classical Piano · In studio Well, he took me on as a student and cancelled my lesson two weeks in a row and on the second week dropped me as a student. He said his schedule is too busy. The one time I talked to him he sounded really nice, but I would make sure he has the time before spending any money. I am currently in the process of getting my $110 back. It's just disappointing that I could have spent two weeks with someone else.
· Singing · In home 1st time lesson taker for my 9 year old son who was extremely nervous. Todd has got a huge fan! Plan on taking more:)
· Singing · In studio Wonderful first lesson. Todd was very professional and easy to work with!
· Classical Voice · In studio I worked with Todd from the moment I moved to Evansville to the moment I went to college (about two years) and he is the best voice teacher I've ever had, and I've had a few. Unlike other teachers I'd worked with, Todd is very approachable and wants to work with you instead of just constantly criticizing you. You can tell that he is interested in you, not only as a student taking lessons from him, but a person, so you're individual growth and success as a singular musician is far more important to him than representation of himself. Todd always pushed me in lessons while praising hard work and when it was time for me to audition for colleges, I felt confident and prepared to sing an aria I never imagined I could do well.
· Opera Voice · In studio Working with Todd was an amazing experience i learned so much and hope to start lessons again soon.
· Singing · In home Very knowledgeable. Very focused. I know I will be a better singer because of my time with Todd. Excellent instruction.
· Classical Voice · In studio Todd has been my singing teacher for 7 years. I look forward to my lesson every week. My range has improved as well as my breath control. Singing well is not an easy thing to do so it's important to have a teacher who has the knowledge to keep me on the right track. I am singing opera now. I couldn't do that in the beginning! I would recommend Todd as a teacher to anyone who wants to improve their singing. He is patient and funny and ready to help you.
· · Todd has taught me a lot of technique for singing and it's been extremely helpful. I am a beginner and never took singing lessons before. He has been quite patient to put up with me through the squeaking of the early stages to being much more refined now.
· Classical Voice · In studio My voice has improved tremendously in the 5 years that I've been taking lessons from Todd. So has my self-confidence with singing. Todd is very patient, respectful and encouraging. I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting to take voice lessons.
· Singing · In studio Todd is a top notch instructor and talented vocalist. I never had any formal voice training until I took lessons from him. In fact, I was an old Rock and Roll drummer who only sing back up, and that was many years ago. I had never sung any choral pieces nor could I sight read music. Anyway, I was told by a few people that they thought I could sing. I wanted to get an honest assessment of my voice and someone recommended Todd. He scheduled a lesson and told me I had potential to sing. Because of Todd, and some work by me I have been singing in the Evansville Philharmonic for 3 years.