- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
My name is Ted Dougherty, and I have been teaching private lessons in both guitar and voice for over a decade. I began playing guitar at age eleven and continued into college, where I majored in guitar performance. While in college I began studying voice seriously, adding a vocal performance major to my degree. I moved to New York City for additional vocal training, and sang leading roles in many opera productions in the NY/NJ area.
I currently serve as Director of Music and Worship at HOPE Presbyterian Church in North Raleigh, and my performance experience ranges playing and singing in rock bands and as a solo acoustic act to performing in opera houses and concert halls with symphony orchestras. Whether teaching guitar or voice, I focus on developing proper and efficient technique with my students that enables them to perform in a wide range of styles and performance venues.
· Vocal Training · In home “If you can sing opera you can sing anything.” This is something I learned while taking vocal lessons with Ted Dougherty. Many voice teachers aim to silo you into one style of singing but that is not the case with Ted. He will help you build your voice to be the strongest it can be while encouraging you to practice and sing the types of music you are passionate about. Ted is an extremely talented musician who not only has the knowledge to teach you new techniques, but also has the ability to demonstrate those techniques. I started voice lessons with him when I was 12 years old and only ended my lessons with him when I went away to college years later. I truly believe, were it not for my lessons with Ted, I would not have the quality voice I have today. If I lived anywhere near Raleigh, NC, nothing would be able to stop me from going for voice lessons with Ted as often as possible.
· Vocal Training · In home If you are a singer, do yourself a favor and get lessons with Ted! I took voice lessons with him for two years it's been quite the game changer. I've been a singer since I was 6 and have had a lot of different vocal training and Ted's lessons were unlike any other. I never expected the techniques. They are designed to make you re-conceptualize how to make the sound until your voice is in the right place. The first few months of lessons were unlearning and really strange because it seemed like he was telling me to make ugly sounds most of the time. Later I realized how foundational and fundamental these practices are for a strong and healthy voice. If you stick with it, and practice regularly on your own, you will be able to do what you thought was not possible with your voice. Like perform Queen of the Night, or Defying Gravity, or Carry Underwood. It's been amazing to transform my voice so drastically, and I would never have gotten there without these lessons.