Steven graduated with his bachelor of music degree from California State University, Northridge. While at C.S.U.N., Steven was the winner of the Andres Segovia memorial scholarship and the Randy Rhoads memorial scholarship. Also, Steven has studied with many guitar greats such as Christopher Parkening and Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne). Currently, Steven is recording and performing with the virtuoso violinist Hekar Rivera and is the guitarist in a super cool instrumental Rock/Jazz/R&B fusion quartet. In addition to performing, Steven teaches guitar at his studio in Ventura. Also, Steven is the head of the music department at North Hills Preparatory School and teaches guitar workshops at the Ventura College Institute.
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are available for all ages, styles and skill levels. Beginners are encouraged to apply. Students will have fun while reaching their musical goals. Students are taught to be musicians and artists through the study of the guitar. Students will learn cool songs, improvisation and music theory. I really love teaching music because I think music make the world a better place!
Lessons take place at my studio in Ventura, CA
ONLINE LESSONS AVAILABLE IN EARLY 2016!
*** Studio Equipment ***
More information upon booking
*** Travel Equipment ***
More information upon booking
*** Specialties ***
I am able to teach all styles from blues to jazz and all points between. My areas of expertise would most likely be in hard rock, metal, rock/jazz fusion, classical guitar, improvisation, songwriting and application of music theory.
This has to be my favorite place on the planet. It's where my students come to learn and play music. I have the best job in the world!
I loved this job. North Hills Prep was a LAUSD alternative school that dealt with "at risk youth". Most of our kids were struggling with addiction, ADHD or asbergers to name a few. I was so happy to be a part of helping these kids turn their lives around with the power of music. The classes I taught were: music ensemble, songwriter/recording workshops, music appreciation and music theory. Sadly, the school was closed in 2011 due to state budget cuts. I'd still be there if NHP was still open...the little school that could!
Guitar Foundation of America (GFA) is the America's leading classical guitar organization founded in 1973 at the National Guitar Convention sponsored by the American String Teachers Association (ASTA).
· Guitar · In studio I took lessons with Steven for almost a year and I must say working with him has truly been a blast. I emailed Steven originally looking for help with my theory skills as well as both my acoustic and electric guitar playing and I have without a doubt gotten a hundred times better at all of the above. I have never been able to play a guitar solo before working with him and thought it would be months until I could even begin to think about that but right away he showed me the ropes and got me going. I was totally discouraged about my skill level because I’ve been wanting to major in music in college but started playing late in the game. However, Steven was nothing but encouraging through not only teaching me crucial musical skills but also sharing invaluable stories from when he was in music school leaving me nothing but inspired. Its often intimidating to meet a private instructor for the first time (I’ve met plenty of bad ones) but Steven is one of the nicest guys in the world and I can’t wait to continue lessons with him again once I have the time. Be sure to check out the Rivera Sunnarborg Duo live they are absolutely breathtaking! Have fun taking lessons and get ready for some nerdy music theory jokes!
· Guitar · In studio Steve has given my son and daughter guitar lessons for years. They always look forward to seeing him and learning new music. He not only teaches them a great foundation in guitar he also teaches them whatever songs interest them. If my daughter wants to learn a piece from some obscure artist Steve finds the music and writes the music for her. He then helps her learn to play what she loves. We couldn't ask for a better teacher.
· Guitar · In studio Great teacher and does well with teaching children.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Steve is a terrific instructor and guitarist. I’m an adult beginner - playing one year, now - on classical guitar; I have been grateful that Steve's been so supportive, positive, and knowledgable. His university-level guitar education and post-degree guitar experience have served him very well. I enjoy the guitar and Steve's instruction.
· Guitar · In studio My two sons and I have taken lessons from Steve for over 5 years. He is an amazing teacher! Very kind and patient with a great sense of humor. Whether beginner or advanced Steve puts the same effort into teaching everyone. It has been fantastic to see the progress that both of my sons have made throughout the years. I simply can't recommend him highly enough.
· Guitar · In studio I have taken lessons from Steve for many years. He is an excellent teacher in every way - he has a music degree, is very down-to-earth, has a great sense of humor and is patient, and very skilled at teaching all aspects of guitar. I play acoustic blues and finger style, classical, electric, you name it. He has been very versatile. I highly, highly recommend him - you won't find a better teacher!
· Guitar · In studio Steven is the best. I've been taking lessons with him for a few years now and he's a really great teacher. He takes his time to make sure you understand everything. He's always helpful. He's always patient when it came to me being slow at playing certain scales or solos, no matter how long it would take me. He also has a really amazing studio. He's really fun to take lessons with. Also he has an amazing sense of humor. Taking lessons with him is always a blast. I always look forward to it during the week. Steven is an amazing person and teacher. Definitely one of the best out there. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants to learn or play music.
· Guitar · In studio I have been taking guitar lessons from Steve for several years. He has taught me electric as well as acoustic guitar. It's a pleasure to go see him and work with him every week. He is very patient with my slow fingers and always tries to help in any way he can. He has a recording studio setup that allows us to do just about anything, from recording songs from scratch, to using "minus-one" prerecorded tracks to record versions of popular songs. Taking lessons with Steve has really changed the way I listen to music - now I am amazed about all the steps artists take to put together a song. I would highly recommend Steve, he's a great teacher and a great person.
· Guitar · In studio Learning to play the guitar was always something I wanted to do. Steve is the perfect teacher for helping me make that wish come true. He is very enthusiastic, VERY patient and kind. Steve tailors each lesson based on what I need to make progress. His love of teaching and his confidence in me makes each lesson a joyful experience.
· Guitar · In home I've been going to Steve for close to a year now for guitar lessons. I've been happy with my decision to go to him. He is professional, courteous, responsive, and very knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend his services to others.